1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma: Water on Passenger Floorboard

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChRis., Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello Guys,

I actually don't own a Tacoma but my dad just bought a Super White 2010 Tacoma Double Cab with a short bed last week. It also has the TRD off road sport with the extra value package and came with a Leer 100R cap.

We bought/financed it from a Ford dealer. From what I know, it was a traded in for the new 2011 Ford Explorer. However, the Tacoma only had 1,980 miles on it! So it's basically new.

I also ran a InstaVIN check/report and the truck is clean. Nothing reported except being registered to the first owner. The report also mentioned the truck was made in Baja California, Mexico (did not know it was made in Mexico).

Well, we have been getting quite some rain here in the Northeast since we got the truck and the passenger floorboard gets wet after it rains. If you press down on it, your hands will get damp/soaked. It appears dry initially but it only gets wet spots when your press down on it.

I also hear water "sloshing" when I tap/bang the floorboard "hump" right under the shift lever area.

I did remove the kick panel and door sill plastics to lift up the carpet. It mainly seems that the carpet sponge/matting absorbs the water and sits there when it rains.

I've read about the cowl issue and how the A/C duct can intake water if there is a leak at the bottom of the windshield. I actually did a quick fix and put a piece of foil over the duct to see if the problem would go away (did leave a small gap/hole for air intake).

Now, we just had a big rain storm all day yesterday and I checked the carpet just this morning. What do you know, it's wet. I also looked at the door panel and the speaker cover has water droplets on it. The door sill plastic also has water droplets on it.

I'm thinking that maybe the A/C duct isn't the issue and that the door/window seals are possibly bad?

The frustrating part about this situation is that we have owned Toyota's for many years (91 and 92 Camry, 02 4Runner). None of them really had major issues like this new Tacoma. My dad even still has temporary plates on the Tacoma and it already has an issue.

I told my dad to stop by the Toyota service center tomorrow to get it fixed. It should be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty correct?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    mandzach

mandzach Well-Known Member

Member:
    I believe this is from the fresh air vents allowing rain inside. Read about it before.

Should be covered under warranty if the Dealer is not a jerk.

Before you bring it in for service I would find out if their is an existing TSB for this problem.

That way you are going in armed and it would be Very hard for Dealer to deny coverage.

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    Is this the vent that is located under the hood cowl? If so, I did try to fix the issue with a piece of foil to cover the vent prior to it raining yesterday.

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    looneytunemagoun

looneytunemagoun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Leicester,mass
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    that happen to me put hood up nere the fire wall the rubber was of a little bit fixed it and no more water in on the passner floor

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    So it just rained a short bit just now and my dad climbed in the truck to see if he can spot some leaks.

He actually saw water dripping down the side of the dash/glove box where the plastics are right on top of the kick panel.

I'm assuming the door or roof drainage has bad weather seals. Or possibly the windshield wasn't sealed properly.

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    "It also has the TRD off road sport..."

Huh?

Off Road= normal hood, locking rear differential, chrome bumper, 16" wheels, 'Off Road' TRD decal

Sport= scoop in the hood, no locker, painted bumper, 17" wheels, 'Sport' TRD decal

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    He has the sport.

8. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Cool , welcome Chris

Check that there is no debris clogging the area directly below the windshield wipers

If that is not your problem , and it sounds like you have ruled that out , it would seem to be the windshield seals .

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    My dad brought the truck to Toyota and it's being worked on no questions asked under the warranty. The service center also found two additional recalls after typing in the VIN and they are correcting those issues as well.

10. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    no mods

no mods Well-Known Member

Member:
    cincinnati
    Some stickers
    What was the actual problem? I'm experiencing same phantom leak

11. Apr 28, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    It ended up being the windshield seal along the passenger side. They ended up removing the weather stripping and re-sealing the windshield. The whole interior floor carpet was also replaced under warranty.

If you have a 2010 model, they also did two other safety recalls on the truck. One was the accelerator pedal and other was a drive shaft inspection.

12. Apr 28, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    O.C.

O.C. Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    90 DLX => 08 DC Offroad
    Nerf bars,Rugged cover Future: Vent shades,Bull Bar
    Glad to hear Toyota made good with no questions asked. Where in CT?

13. Apr 28, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  14. Apr 28, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    You might get banned for mentioning the accelerator pedal TSB here :D Not very popular on this board.

Especially since the latest report I saw on CNN (about 2 months ago?) pretty much exonerated Toyota from that whole 'unintended acceleration problem.

But, in the end, there's not much difference to the pedal, especially since i doubt he's gotten used to the feel of it (being a new, to him, vehicle)

15. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have a 2010, and the only 'recall' I have gotten was to 'saw off' (change) the bottom of the gas pedal (which I decline) for people who want to put two or more floor mats under it!

16. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    It was Greentree Toyota Service center in Brookfield, CT.

Thanks for that. I actually looked at that and tried to fix the issue with aluminum foil. But after it had rained, water was still coming in so that was not the issue.

Oh wow. I hope I don't get banned. I read that on CNN also a while back. It pretty much put a smack into the face of those parties making the issue a big deal. I personally don't believe there are anything wrong with Toyota's in regards to accelerator pedals.

I guess the only complaint my dad has is the DBW throttle system. He says it's far less responsive than our 2002 4Runner which has the old fashioned cable throttle system.

17. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    no mods

no mods Well-Known Member

Member:
    cincinnati
    Some stickers
    Water problem solved: for me it was my hammered in pinch welds in the fender well. Apparently between the sledge and the grinder I compromised the seam sealer near the kick panels. Lesson learned.

Products Discussed in

To Top