1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenWA, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    I have already decided that if I lift my truck and it has vibes that Ill get chase at ecgs to replace the bearing and halfshaft with non factory parts

I sent him a message with this thread in it to see if he has any opinions to this issue

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    Interesting I did not know the problem was so widespread, we have only sold 2 or 3 carriers do to this problem and I have never seen a needle bearing destroyed in a case. There is a inherit flaw in the design of the carrier that is the cause of the problem. it is not the needle bearing and in fact not all the carriers come with a needle bearing, do to the design flaw I can see where the needle bearing could be damaged. I just had my 3rd child a little girl yesterday and I am trying to stay caught up. But in the next few days I can do a video of the design flaw and show the users what the issue is. A lift and steep CV angles would exaggerate the problem but again we have not recognized as an issue I see the shortcomings of the design but have not until now seen the negative outcome from it. We can develop a product that should definitively help or eliminate the problem all together very reasonably.

Regards, Chase

reply I got from chase at east coast gear supply

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    sskingquad

sskingquad Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    sport
    This is really interesting, and sounds promising! I had an 05 trd sport and it was lifted and had the noise/vibration but truly looked awesome but I sold it because I could not stand the sound. I have since bought an 09 TRD offroad and would love to be able to lift it without having to deal with issues, please let us know if your guy pulls through!

4. Dec 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    Cartsjr

Cartsjr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bhawk60
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD Sport long bed
    3/1 Low Range offroad Lift, LT 275/70/17 tires
    I have just under 42K on the truck. I am sure the guy who traded it in was frustrated by the vibration and dumped it. If the dealer gives me a hard time I am going to point out that the truck was sold as a "certified pre-owned" (which I know doesn't really mean anything) with the lift already installed. If they aren't going to honor the warranty then they should not have allowed it to be "certified".

5. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Thats a pretty good argument. If they didnt feel the truck was certified, they shouldnt have sold it that way!

6. Dec 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    I'm out of warrenty and have the problem. I want to get an ARB up front but would like to the solve vibe issue at the same time. Keep us posted.
    Thanks

7. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.

I was thinking about changing my whole third member too. I was gonna so with a helical gear locker. That should thoretically get rid of the spicer gear lash which allows the vibration. In my experience full lockers and CV's are a 'brave' setup.

Do you know that the ARB would solve your vibe since it still has normal spiders?

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    ECGS

ECGS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    RALEIGH
    Here is the Tech Video Of the Front Clamshell Carrier.

Their are a couple of problems with the design of the carrier.
    1. The Needle bearing does not have tight enough tolerances.
    2. The Side Gear pilot bore is in fact not bored but cast and sloppy
    3. Spider clearance in these diffs are also fairly sloppy.

Toyota can warranty them all they want but a new one with out design change could have the same symptoms. The good news about this.... This is not that common of a problem toyota 7.5 diffs are also just like this but smaller and we have seen little issue from those.

Here are two Close up pics below video of a T8CS Carrier and a D30 so you can see the difference btwn a machined supporting bore and a non machined.

http://youtu.be/x4qw5GtfoRc

T8CSCASE.jpg
    D30CASEVST8CS.jpg

4WDTrout, ready6delta, Scrat and 3 others like this.
  9. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    black_hawk8888

black_hawk8888 Member

Member:
    Thank you Chase! This is great news and I would be very excited to see a bushing solution. I lifted my truck for a while only about 1.5" but the vibe had me lower it. As you demonstrated, the problem is not caused by the lift, it just enhances the angle on sloppy tolerances which causes the rumble strip effect...I will be watching this thread with great anticipation...

10. Dec 24, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    Awesome work Chase, Looking forward to your solution. So if I understand, buying an ARB will solve this issue.
    Thanks
    Happy Holidays
    Alan

11. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Nice work Chase. Ill be watching this thread for some fixes.

12. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    What is the approx cost for the arb?

13. Dec 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Depending on where you get it about $800-$900 for the air locker alone then another $150-$600 for the compressor (depending on which ARB compressor). Still have to install it or get it installed though

14. Dec 26, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    ECGS

ECGS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    RALEIGH
    Yes I do believe ARB would solve the problem. They have tighter spider gear clearance, a machined side gear bore and a bushing for a needle bearing.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-62...l-ifs-front-fj-cruiser-05-tacoma-4runner.html

We are having a 10% off sale today promotion code "XMAS" this is off all net orders includes diffs and ARB's

We should have the bushing for open diffs done in a week or two. I ordered the material last week.

15. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    black_hawk8888

black_hawk8888 Member

Member:
    Great news! Obviously a bushing install would be more or less the same as replacing the output bearing as previously outlined in other threads. This has been successfully accomplished by guys with hand tools with little more difficulty than replacing a front CV.

My question is, does ECGS supply "ready to install" ARB lockers for the front and then give credit when a stock differential is shipped back? Something like a core charge on a bad alternator at AutoZone haha. If so, what is the cost and how difficult is it to remove/replace a "ready to go" ARB myself on a scale of 1 to 10 or as compared to replacing just the bearing?

16. Dec 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    ECGS

ECGS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    RALEIGH
  17. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Just today, my 2011 is now having a vibe/growling noise coming from the front end, it seems the driver's side. I have had a lift on for the past ~5k miles and only now is the noise starting. I have only 9400 miles total on the truck.

My specs:
    3" OME
    Front diff drop
    885 coils
    265/70R17s
    1.5" Dakar AAL rear

Like everybody else here (yes, I read all the posts), the noise is most noticeable between 0-40, but I think that's only because the wind and road noise drowns it out. When slowing to a stop to 0mph is when it is the most noticeable. Again, less road noise I think.

Does this mean my bearings are shot already? I'm thinking the dealer won't cover me since I've installed a lift. Oh damn.

18. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Help boys, help. The "rumble-strip drone" continues and I'd like to solve this problem before it gets worse. The ARB locker seems like overkill since mine is a daily driver and I only wheel maybe 2/yr. Plus my 2011 only has 9300 miles on it!

Chase in the video above described it exactly, a drone sound from the left/drivers side. So do I likely have a clamshell carrier issue?

19. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    Someone else had it at only 5k on his 2011. He was only level I think. The bearing is a flawed design. ECGS I believe is working on something.

20. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    ECGS

ECGS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    RALEIGH
    Yes we are working on a product to fix, here is another tech video of the protype part we already made. Unfortunately after some more research we are going a slightly different route same design but different material we are getting quotes on a PTFE bushing. PTFE is the slipperyiest (SP?) material made and requires no oil for lubrication it will also absorb shock loads. We are getting quotes for production and are working as fast as we can to get it produced.
    Video should be accurate to the amount of slop we are able to take out with new design only change is we are going to use a much better material.
    Thanks, Chase@ECGS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lB_ss6ytk

Products Discussed in

To Top