Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #1041
Senior Member
Thieu is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Joined: Dec 2009, #27842
Location: Austin, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 175
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
Just had bearing installed. Vibe is gone. Another satisfied customer.

Removal tool for sale. PM me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1042
Junior Member
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Joined: Feb 2011, #51427
Location: SLC, UT
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting pretty fed up with my 08 4x4 long-bed. Installed 5100's and rear 1.5 block at 30k miles, got the vibration immediately.Denied under warranty by toyota as they cited the lift as the cause. Had the dealer replace the bearing and CV 1.5 years ago. 30k later I have the ECGS bushing installed for preventative reasons, no new CV as they didn't notice any scoring. Directly after installing the bushing I get an audible vibe between 55-70mph that goes away when turning the wheel right at high speed (long sweeping highway corner). Sounds like a wheel bearing right? Changed that out today and it did nothing. Does anyone have any advice? I'm seriously close to getting rid of this truck as it's been nothing but trouble after a 2.5 inch lift. I'm really starting to miss my 06 Tundra LTD... HELP!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #1043
Senior Member
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
Joined: Jan 2012, #70209
Location: Concord, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 385
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
anyone in raleigh

able to pick up the parts? i will be coming through there April 26-28 and will need to get the bushing. unfortunately shipping is like $15 to my house. I would assume you would have zero liability as you could just return the part if i bailed, and i will be paying cash. also looking to buy a used removal tool if anyone is interested. just PM me if you would be willing to pick the part up and meet me most likely fri evening or sunday midday.

also, how are people installing the part? are you buying the install tool as well?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1045
Junior Member
BG02 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Brian
Joined: Mar 2013, #99358
Location: Mt. Pleasant, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
BG02's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration fixed!

Just wanted to comment on the bearing issue. Ordered bushing from East Coast Gear Supply and had Steve at Tarheel 4wd install it. He did an awesome job. If you are in the Charlotte area and have 4wd needs, he is very knowledgeable and knows about the Toyota differential issue. He is also familiar with the bushing from ECGS. Nice to have a good connection at a local 4wd shop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #1046
Senior Member
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2012, #74388
Location: Baltimore, MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 245
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
I got to page 20 but lost patience! I have a 1st gen with the same problem. Is there a 1st gen solution within this thread?
I've been attempting to contact ECGS since the new year about the 1st Gen fix and have gotten nothing so far. Maybe they were unable to complete this product.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #1047
Senior Member
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Gregman's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2010, #29166
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Gender: Male
Posts: 475
Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC TACOMA View Post
I'm getting pretty fed up with my 08 4x4 long-bed. Installed 5100's and rear 1.5 block at 30k miles, got the vibration immediately.Denied under warranty by toyota as they cited the lift as the cause. Had the dealer replace the bearing and CV 1.5 years ago. 30k later I have the ECGS bushing installed for preventative reasons, no new CV as they didn't notice any scoring. Directly after installing the bushing I get an audible vibe between 55-70mph that goes away when turning the wheel right at high speed (long sweeping highway corner). Sounds like a wheel bearing right? Changed that out today and it did nothing. Does anyone have any advice? I'm seriously close to getting rid of this truck as it's been nothing but trouble after a 2.5 inch lift. I'm really starting to miss my 06 Tundra LTD... HELP!
Yup, exactly why I am afraid to put any sort of lift on my truck. I'm staying with stock for now and am gonna to have to be content with 265x75 R16 tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #1048
Senior Member
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
 
RI Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Tim
Joined: Feb 2011, #51797
Location: Rhode Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,046
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So after reading more pages of this thread than I care to count, I am more confused than before.

Ive got a 2011 with 33K miles w/ rear tsb. Ive always had a slight vib between 55-70 that you can feel in the steering wheel and the floor. You can see the pass seat shake when its empty. Had different wheels/tires balanced, didnt fix it.

After I lifted it, 885x's and wheelers aal, the vib is significantly worse. Going to add 3degree axle shims.

Does anyone think the ECGS bushing is the cure for my vibes?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #1049
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,695
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Tacoma View Post
So after reading more pages of this thread than I care to count, I am more confused than before.

Ive got a 2011 with 33K miles w/ rear tsb. Ive always had a slight vib between 55-70 that you can feel in the steering wheel and the floor. You can see the pass seat shake when its empty. Had different wheels/tires balanced, didnt fix it.

After I lifted it, 885x's and wheelers aal, the vib is significantly worse. Going to add 3degree axle shims.

Does anyone think the ECGS bushing is the cure for my vibes?
Does your vibe go away when you flip your 4wd switch to 4hi?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #1050
Senior Member
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
 
RI Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Tim
Joined: Feb 2011, #51797
Location: Rhode Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,046
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Does your vibe go away when you flip your 4wd switch to 4hi?
Havent done it because it really only happens at highway speeds. Dont think if its good to run 4wd at 60mph.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #1051
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
deadbolt's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2008, #5289
Location: Socal
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,175
deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
My vibes were so bad that switching to 4Hi did not get rid off it. But when the vibes First started, switching to 4Hi made the vibe go away. ECGS bushing FTW!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #1052
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,695
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Tacoma View Post
Havent done it because it really only happens at highway speeds. Dont think if its good to run 4wd at 60mph.

Drive your vehicle at the speed you hear the noise, and make sure it is there. Slow down to about 50-55mph to switch in to 4hi, then proceed to accelerate to the speed in which you have the vibe. If there is no more vibe, then it is the diff bearing. If vibe is still there, you have another issue. I think if you are 60 mph or above, the system won't let you engage 4hi, and it will beep at you, but it is fine up to 75mph per the owners manual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #1053
Junior Member
VitaminB is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2012, #81771
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
VitaminB's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the classic differential vibe: periodic vibration I can feel through the floor of the truck when going 30-40 mph, worse on cold mornings, goes away in 4-hi, etc, etc. I am going to install the ECGS bushing next Friday and I was wondering how this has worked out for those of you who have put some miles on since installing it. Has anyone had any negative effects? How many miles since installing it without problems?

Thanks a lot for your responses! I don't know where I'd be without this forum... Oh wait, I do... I'd be driving a Tacoma with a rattling steering shaft, a vibrating differential, and a POS toytec leveling kit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #1054
Junior Member
lumpy is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2011, #66417
Location: Trail BC CANADA
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
lumpy's Tacoma Gallery
so thats what that noise is!! I'll have to try the 4hi test and see. how bitchy of a job is it to pull the cv axle to put that ECGS bushing in and replace cv? and just the drivers side??

Also, any safety issues or extra damage this may cause if left for a while? funds are wrapped up in major house reno right now, but dont want to tear up the truck wainting for money. its a daily driver forsure
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #1055
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,695
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB View Post
I've got the classic differential vibe: periodic vibration I can feel through the floor of the truck when going 30-40 mph, worse on cold mornings, goes away in 4-hi, etc, etc. I am going to install the ECGS bushing next Friday and I was wondering how this has worked out for those of you who have put some miles on since installing it. Has anyone had any negative effects? How many miles since installing it without problems?

Thanks a lot for your responses! I don't know where I'd be without this forum... Oh wait, I do... I'd be driving a Tacoma with a rattling steering shaft, a vibrating differential, and a POS toytec leveling kit.

I've put 40-50k miles on the bushing so far with no negative affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
so thats what that noise is!! I'll have to try the 4hi test and see. how bitchy of a job is it to pull the cv axle to put that ECGS bushing in and replace cv? and just the drivers side??

Also, any safety issues or extra damage this may cause if left for a while? funds are wrapped up in major house reno right now, but dont want to tear up the truck wainting for money. its a daily driver forsure
The job itself is not too bad with the right tools. It is best to get it done sooner than later. Here is my list of tools needed. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4874023
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #1056
Junior Member
lumpy is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2011, #66417
Location: Trail BC CANADA
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
lumpy's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, the job is beyond my skill level for sure, so off to the shop it will go once we get the bushing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #1057
Junior Member
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Joined: Feb 2011, #51427
Location: SLC, UT
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Yup, exactly why I am afraid to put any sort of lift on my truck. I'm staying with stock for now and am gonna to have to be content with 265x75 R16 tires.
It's weird. I tried running it in 4wd @ 65/70 mph and the vibe was still there??? Anybody have any idea as to what it might be? Bushing is in and I replaced the wheel bearing as well. CV has no slop either. Maybe replace the CV axle even though the dealer said it looked OK? It will be the 3rd CV axle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #1058
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,695
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC TACOMA View Post
It's weird. I tried running it in 4wd @ 65/70 mph and the vibe was still there??? Anybody have any idea as to what it might be? Bushing is in and I replaced the wheel bearing as well. CV has no slop either. Maybe replace the CV axle even though the dealer said it looked OK? It will be the 3rd CV axle.

Could be a slight imbalance with your tires. Have you rotated them since you felt the vibration? If not, try either rotating them, or, go have them balanced. NTB usually has printable coupons that drive that cost down to about $20 for all four, and other shops will honor competitor coupons. This could also be a rear driveline vibration as well. Do you have any take off shudder? Grease your U joints up good, check the play in the center support for excessive movement, a 1/4" in either direction is ok. Also, if you are capable, grease the drive shafts slip yoke. I doubt it will be your CV axles, you would hear them popping rather than a vibration. Another thing you can do is check the torque is with in spec on all of your suspension parts to make sure the vibration isn't coming from a loose or under tightened bolt. Do this for front and rear. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #1059
Junior Member
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Joined: Feb 2011, #51427
Location: SLC, UT
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Could be a slight imbalance with your tires. Have you rotated them since you felt the vibration? If not, try either rotating them, or, go have them balanced. NTB usually has printable coupons that drive that cost down to about $20 for all four, and other shops will honor competitor coupons. This could also be a rear driveline vibration as well. Do you have any take off shudder? Grease your U joints up good, check the play in the center support for excessive movement, a 1/4" in either direction is ok. Also, if you are capable, grease the drive shafts slip yoke. I doubt it will be your CV axles, you would hear them popping rather than a vibration. Another thing you can do is check the torque is with in spec on all of your suspension parts to make sure the vibration isn't coming from a loose or under tightened bolt. Do this for front and rear. Good luck.
Thanks! I had my winter wheels on when the work was done and recently swapped to my Summer FJ TRD wheels to see if it might be a balance issue. Same symptoms... No shudder at take-off. It's def something in the front driver side as that is where the vibe is and it started right after I had work done (brakes, bushing install). I'll check the torque on everything and update. Thanks again for the advice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #1060
Junior Member
Shinshi is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2012, #86964
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
Shinshi's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar vibration at 65-70 as well. I too have the bushing installed and have a 3" ToyTec lift. Tried everything I could think of to eliminate the vibe, no luck. It is certainly worse when the weather is cold, sub-zero temperatures. When the weather is warm, I don't notice it at all. That in itself makes me think that it is a lubrication issue. At cold temperatures the gear oil is thicker and takes longer to start doing it's job. When the diff warms up, it gets better.

Things I have tried:

1. Tire balance - I had the problem with the factory wheels and winter tires. When I put my new Method wheels and new tires on, still had the vibe. Tried rotating front to back and back to front with no change.

2. Removed rear drive shaft, took truck for a drive on the highway. Still had the vibe at 65-70, so not a rear drive shaft issue.

3. Took out the front diff drop. No change, so put it back in.

4. Wheel alignment - Still had the vibe. Had another wheel alignment done more recently. I have Light Racing UCA's, so had the wheel moved as far forward as possible to allow more clearance at back of front wheel well. Thought this may have affected the vibe as it realigned the front CV axle a little, for better or worse I can't say. Either way, it didn't affect the vibe at all. Current wheel alignment specs are Caster Left 2.7, Caster Right 2.9, Camber Left 0.1, Camber Right 0.0, Toe Left 0.02 & Toe Right -0.01. Specs seem excellent from what I have read, so I have ruled out wheel alignment.

5. Flushed out front diff and filled with Red Line 75W85 Synthetic fluid. No change, still the same vibe.

With the fact that it is much worse at cold temperatures and only at highway speeds, I have begun to wonder if the bushing has cured the low speed vibe, but introduced a slight vibe at highway speeds when very cold. I must say, the bushing really made a difference for the vibe at lower speeds. I hadn't driven the truck in very cold weather prior to the bushing change, so don't know if the vibe was there before or not. It would also have been nice to know if the vibe existed at stock height or not.

I'm at a loss to determine what is causing the vibe at 65-70 on the highway. Perhaps someone else may have some luck and enlighten those of us who are experiencing the same issue. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Remove CV Axle+Replace Front Wheel Bearing 2nd Gen KenpachiZaraki 2nd Gen. Tacomas 216 06-06-2014 10:28 PM
OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL BassAckwardsDyl 2nd Gen. Tacomas 72 12-14-2012 05:47 AM
Front vibration: diff bearing vs wheel bearing eeberleeber 2nd Gen. Tacomas 16 02-19-2012 02:20 PM
Official Recaro Seats in a 2nd Gen Tacoma Thread AriZonaD54 2nd Gen. Tacomas 27 08-26-2010 04:24 PM
2nd Gen Toyotec 1" Front Differential Drop Kit tahoe_babbs Buy / Sell / Trade 8 11-09-2009 03:46 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.