Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #1061
mchattod is on a distinguished road
mchattod's Tacoma Gallery
Update for anyone interested. I replaced my differential bearing with the ECGS bushing and then a u-joint. I still haven't fixed my problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #1062
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
I have a similar vibration at 65-70 as well. I too have the bushing installed and have a 3" ToyTec lift. Tried everything I could think of to eliminate the vibe, no luck. It is certainly worse when the weather is cold, sub-zero temperatures. When the weather is warm, I don't notice it at all. That in itself makes me think that it is a lubrication issue. At cold temperatures the gear oil is thicker and takes longer to start doing it's job. When the diff warms up, it gets better.

Things I have tried:

1. Tire balance - I had the problem with the factory wheels and winter tires. When I put my new Method wheels and new tires on, still had the vibe. Tried rotating front to back and back to front with no change.

2. Removed rear drive shaft, took truck for a drive on the highway. Still had the vibe at 65-70, so not a rear drive shaft issue.

3. Took out the front diff drop. No change, so put it back in.

4. Wheel alignment - Still had the vibe. Had another wheel alignment done more recently. I have Light Racing UCA's, so had the wheel moved as far forward as possible to allow more clearance at back of front wheel well. Thought this may have affected the vibe as it realigned the front CV axle a little, for better or worse I can't say. Either way, it didn't affect the vibe at all. Current wheel alignment specs are Caster Left 2.7, Caster Right 2.9, Camber Left 0.1, Camber Right 0.0, Toe Left 0.02 & Toe Right -0.01. Specs seem excellent from what I have read, so I have ruled out wheel alignment.

5. Flushed out front diff and filled with Red Line 75W85 Synthetic fluid. No change, still the same vibe.

With the fact that it is much worse at cold temperatures and only at highway speeds, I have begun to wonder if the bushing has cured the low speed vibe, but introduced a slight vibe at highway speeds when very cold. I must say, the bushing really made a difference for the vibe at lower speeds. I hadn't driven the truck in very cold weather prior to the bushing change, so don't know if the vibe was there before or not. It would also have been nice to know if the vibe existed at stock height or not.

I'm at a loss to determine what is causing the vibe at 65-70 on the highway. Perhaps someone else may have some luck and enlighten those of us who are experiencing the same issue. :-)
Does the vibe/noise go away when you turn the wheel (sweeping highway corner)? Mine definitely does but only when I turn right. This vibe is much worse then the one before as the wife actually notices it (takes a lot .. She never noticed the slight low speed vibe before the bushing.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #1063
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC TACOMA View Post
Does the vibe/noise go away when you turn the wheel (sweeping highway corner)? Mine definitely does but only when I turn right. This vibe is much worse then the one before as the wife actually notices it (takes a lot .. She never noticed the slight low speed vibe before the bushing.
Turning right, and vibe goes away, equals passenger side wheel bearing.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #1064
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Turning right, and vibe goes away, equals passenger side wheel bearing.
But the noise is from the driver side FOR SURE? I just replaced the driver side wheel bearing with no change...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC TACOMA View Post
Does the vibe/noise go away when you turn the wheel (sweeping highway corner)? Mine definitely does.
I've tried driving around a curve both left and right but, the noise doesn't seem to change.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #1066
EEKANOUSE is on a distinguished road
Name: will
EEKANOUSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
I've been attempting to contact ECGS since the new year about the 1st Gen fix and have gotten nothing so far. Maybe they were unable to complete this product.
Lol first gens have lock out hubs available for them that's your fix you lucky bastards
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #1067
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKANOUSE View Post
Lol first gens have lock out hubs available for them that's your fix you lucky bastards
I'd rather pay $75 to fix it then get into a $1000+ though.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #1068
VitaminB is on a distinguished road
VitaminB's Tacoma Gallery
Add me to the list of satisfied ECGS bushing customers. I had it installed on Friday by Slee Offroad in Golden, CO. No more vibe, and the truck finally feels the way it should (only took 15k miles!)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #1069
Taco007 is on a distinguished road
Taco007's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 Tacoma with a 2.5 inch lift and in 2011 with 46000 miles I took my truck to Toyota to 'fix' the vibration. They ended up replacing the diff to solve the problem; paid for in full by the warranty. Now, within the past month at ~57000 miles (warranty expired), the vibration showed itself again and the search began for me to find a fix.

I purchased the ECGS bushing last week and had it installed today (Thank you Chase & ECGS!!). I also had replaced the carrier bearing assembly on the rear driveshaft. I would get the vibration at 30-40 mph from the stock bushing and at 55-70 mph I would get a different vibration from the carrier bearing.

Now the vibrations are all gone and it's like driving a new truck again! Check out the pic of the stock bushing. Just over 10000 miles on it and it's broken. The pic is small, but from the 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock positions the lip of the bushing is broken off, which provided for a lot of play.

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread-mail.jpeg
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #1070
Cruzito
Cruzs2013SR5 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Cruz
Cruzs2013SR5's Tacoma Gallery
How much for the bushing tool?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #1071
Taco007 is on a distinguished road
Taco007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzs2013SR5 View Post
How much for the bushing tool?
I PM'd you.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #1072
ExtremeCustoms505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
ExtremeCustoms505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco007 View Post
I have a 2007 Tacoma with a 2.5 inch lift and in 2011 with 46000 miles I took my truck to Toyota to 'fix' the vibration. They ended up replacing the diff to solve the problem; paid for in full by the warranty. Now, within the past month at ~57000 miles (warranty expired), the vibration showed itself again and the search began for me to find a fix.

I purchased the ECGS bushing last week and had it installed today (Thank you Chase & ECGS!!). I also had replaced the carrier bearing assembly on the rear driveshaft. I would get the vibration at 30-40 mph from the stock bushing and at 55-70 mph I would get a different vibration from the carrier bearing.

Now the vibrations are all gone and it's like driving a new truck again! Check out the pic of the stock bushing. Just over 10000 miles on it and it's broken. The pic is small, but from the 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock positions the lip of the bushing is broken off, which provided for a lot of play. Oh yeah, anyone need a bushing tool?

Attachment 210111
PM sent
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco007 View Post
Check out the pic of the stock bushing. Just over 10000 miles on it and it's broken. The pic is small, but from the 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock positions the lip of the bushing is broken off, which provided for a lot of play.
Glad to hear your problem is solved with the bushing but, the lip of the bearing probably broke by removing the bearing. Mine did the same thing when I replaced it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #1074
ExtremeCustoms505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
ExtremeCustoms505's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Just ordered my new bushing, can't wait to get rid of this stupid vibration up front.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #1075
jeremyk61 is on a distinguished road
jeremyk61's Tacoma Gallery
I still have the bushing tool available.....$40 shipped to your door.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #1076
Balot64 is on a distinguished road

Navy: ASC
Balot64's Tacoma Gallery
I still have the bushing tool available.....$40 shipped to your door.

PM sent.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1077
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd......
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #1078
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Did mine yesterday. Havent driven it much because I did UCAs too, so it gets aligned tomorrow. A quick drive around the block seemed much smoother. I'll update after I drive a full day on it.

Skidooman, keep me updated please. I think I have the same issue. Elko isnt too far from me...

I might need some HELP!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1079
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
You got it!
I am totally serious! If I had all the tools I might be able to complete the install, but it would probably take forever. I would gladly pay for your time helping me out.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #1080
Listen here HEY!
Jtom05 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Jarad
Jtom05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
I am totally serious! If I had all the tools I might be able to complete the install, but it would probably take forever. I would gladly pay for your time helping me out.
I just replaced the needle bearing with oem needle bearing, took me an extra day to extract the bearing with out the ecgs removal tool, if I have to do it again I will get a ecgs removal tool and the bushing.

Products Discussed in this Thread