Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1241
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninsb View Post
I have a 2013 that I lifted about 3" in the front and 2" in the rear. I have not noticed any "growling" or vibrations. Does this only happen in 4WD or what conditions should I be looking for the symptoms specifically?
Thanks,
Ken
IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT
WHEN IT HAPPENS YOU WILL KNOW IT
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #1242
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
And then you will want to punch the engineer who designed it this way right in the throat.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #1243
Greatwhite is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Greatwhite's Tacoma Gallery
Taco guy11, I would gladly take you up on your offer. PM me your contact info & I will get the freight cost to you immediately. Much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #1244
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
^ This, Ken.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #1245
jcf1 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Deck Ape West Pac
Name: Joseph
jcf1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
Hi Guys, new to the Tacomas and this website, let me just say that everyone on here disscussing this bearing/ front diff issue has really helped me fiqure out my problem. I read about this topic after work for the past 2 days after my tacoma started having vibration issues. I bought my truck used 3 months ago from a dealer and got a 6 year 60,000 mile warranty. It's a 08 DCSB 3 inch revtek lift, 67,000 miles, TC UCA's and 285 70 17s. Took it in today and the warranty is going to cover it, i bet they might have gave me crap if it wasn't lifted when i bought it from them. The tech told me that the bearing on the driverside was just exploaded and all over the inside of the housing. There going to replace the bearing and the CV shaft. I just hope the new parts will be able to least last another 60k but i'll see. Thanks again for all the great info and tips, this is a killer site!!!

Brett
The dealer told me there was a fix on my vibration and growling problem but because I had a claim with corporate they could not start the repair until corporate contacted them. I asked what the fix was and they did not know. Corporate contacted me and said there is no fix, that the engineer said if there was aproblem it was due to the lift and tire size ( 285/70R17 ) I told them that it started a month after the lift, and the tires were still the same at that time, that desert toyota told me the factory tires were causing the problem. They only had 6000 miles on them and that I spent $ 1600 dollars with no change in the noise or vibration. They did say my truck was still under warrenty. I'm taking it to 4 wheel parts in two weeks and they are going to go through it. Let me add that the service writer and their machanic at Desert said they felt it and heard it, but every time they put it on the rack and give it back, it drives like driving on glass for a 100 miles or so, any ideas???
Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #1246
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I thought it might be one of those "subtle design failures".
Thanks again,
Ken
Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #1247
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the ECGS bearing on my 1st gen and am noticing a vibration at all speeds but most notably at 60-70 mph. Also when I just lightly hit the gas or decelerate, there is a feeling of something rubbing (metal on metal) on the floor. Is it possible that I pushed the bushing in too far and its making contact with the spline gears? Is this dangerous in any way? None of these symptoms were present until I installed the new ECGS bushing.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #1248
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
I installed the ECGS bearing on my 1st gen and am noticing a vibration at all speeds but most notably at 60-70 mph. Also when I just lightly hit the gas or decelerate, there is a feeling of something rubbing (metal on metal) on the floor. Is it possible that I pushed the bushing in too far and its making contact with the spline gears? Is this dangerous in any way? None of these symptoms were present until I installed the new ECGS bushing.
^^ Yep, you can drive the bushing in too far and hit the spider gears. I trust that you did not check for that with a feeler gauge or something. Oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda....

If I were you I would pull the drain plug on the differential and see if tiny metal particles or gray metallic goo stuff is starting to accumulate. If this stuff is growing on the magnet you might be able to save the front diff. by doing repeated changes of the lube and monitor it like a hawk. Drain, refill, drive short distances, repeat. Then do it again and again and again.... If you got larger metal shavings, you got a problem.

Jack the truck up the turn the left tire by hand and listen carefully for a noise coming from that area. Also, don't forget to look at the brake shield (often bent and contacts disc) and other parts for rubbing.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #1249
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a ton. I didn't mention that I also replaced the cv axle at the same time as the ecgs bushing. Starting to wonder if the reman cv is bad?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #1250
Moballer is on a distinguished road
Moballer's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone in British Columbia interested in selling the bearing puller tool from ECGS?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1253
crocket49 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Artillery Tech, 3rd Marines
crocket49's Tacoma Gallery
IgnorantlyAlberta and nj636, just wanted to let you know that it was the driver side wheel bearing as you both suggested. Even though the wheel was not loose and there was no noticeable noise coming from the driver side wheel when I turned it by hand. I would of bet a C-note that the noise was coming from the passenger side, but I would have lost that bet. Thanks guys!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #1254
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco'09 View Post
^^ Yep, you can drive the bushing in too far and hit the spider gears. I trust that you did not check for that with a feeler gauge or something. Oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda....

If I were you I would pull the drain plug on the differential and see if tiny metal particles or gray metallic goo stuff is starting to accumulate. If this stuff is growing on the magnet you might be able to save the front diff. by doing repeated changes of the lube and monitor it like a hawk. Drain, refill, drive short distances, repeat. Then do it again and again and again.... If you got larger metal shavings, you got a problem.

Jack the truck up the turn the left tire by hand and listen carefully for a noise coming from that area. Also, don't forget to look at the brake shield (often bent and contacts disc) and other parts for rubbing.
AND ALSO CHECK DRIVESHAFT
Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #1255
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket49 View Post
IgnorantlyAlberta and nj636, just wanted to let you know that it was the driver side wheel bearing as you both suggested. Even though the wheel was not loose and there was no noticeable noise coming from the driver side wheel when I turned it by hand. I would of bet a C-note that the noise was coming from the passenger side, but I would have lost that bet. Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #1256
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I have a quick question; my truck does not really vibrate, but the steering wheel will kind of "wobble" like someone was moving the steering wheel back and forth about 1/8" to 1/4". It usually happens when I am getting on the freeway at about 55MPH. Does this sound like the same issue?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1257
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Ok I have a quick question; my truck does not really vibrate, but the steering wheel will kind of "wobble" like someone was moving the steering wheel back and forth about 1/8" to 1/4". It usually happens when I am getting on the freeway at about 55MPH. Does this sound like the same issue?
Thanks,
Ken
nope thats a tire balance issue
and or worn tie rods , ball joints, ect.....
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #1258
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks,
Ken
You'll know it if you have it. Get under your truck and grab the driver's side CV axle where it goes into your front diff. Now move it, up/down and back/front. There will be alot of play. Try moving it in/out, more play. Now compare it with your passenger side CV. There will not be any play, it is nice and tight there.

Best advice I can give you is to find a freshly paved street, as these tend to be the quietest and smoothest. If you are listening, you can hear what I can only describe as a vibration, like if you had mud terrain tires. I can actually feel it when I have the stereo on.

Switch into 4hi when you hear/feel it. It will instantly go away as soon as the diff engages. You won't hear it, you won't feel it. Go back to 2hi, it won't be instant, but as soon as you let off the gas and take the tension off the CV axles, it will be back.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #1259
"Senior", Senior Member

keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks BrutalGuyRacing and Agent Smith, great info. Now I can go bitch out my tire shop (no, I really can, they suckered me into the extended warranty).
Thanks again,
Ken
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #1260
Dick Proenneke is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Dick Proenneke's Tacoma Gallery
Just to clarify, how far in do you push the oil seal? As far as it will go, or flush with the edge of the diff? I just installed my ECGS bushing a month ago, and now I'm getting a small leak?

Products Discussed in this Thread