Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #1461
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Arty
uncleART's Tacoma Gallery
ECGS Bushing Install

I installed my bushing today. Success! Vibes are gone. I did notice them a little in the beginning of my test drive - very, very subtle. Then I couldn't notice them at the end of the drive. So I don't know if this bushing removes 100% of the vibes, but I'm really happy.

Also the driver's side CV shaft is solid now - it only moves just a little like the passenger side.

Check out my post in my build thread for a mini write-up and pictures.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #1462
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Congratulations on the install uncleART. Nice write-up.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #1463
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up. That c-clip note is a make or break. Took me a few minutes to figure out that was why the axle wouldn't re-seat. Lol
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #1464
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Good write up. That c-clip note is a make or break. Took me a few minutes to figure out that was why the axle wouldn't re-seat. Lol

I had read about positioning the C-clip this way and didn't understand why until after I was all done. Lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #1465
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Orient Snap Ring wth Open Side Downward

Here is what the manual says for installing the CV shaft and orientation of the snap ring:

INSTALL FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
(a) Coat the spline of the inboard joint shaft with ATF.

(b) Align the shaft splines and install the drive shaft with
a brass bar and hammer.
NOTICE:
• Set the snap ring with the opening side facing
downward.
• Be careful not to damage the oil seal.
HINT:
Whether the inboard joint shaft is in contact with the
pinion shaft or not can be confirmed from the sound
or feeling when driving it.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #1466
QuickSilver is on a distinguished road

QuickSilver's Tacoma Gallery
TYPEONE ^^, I installed new axles first, not knowing about the bushing mod, then I realized how much excess play was in the drivers side axle. After a ton of research I finally discovered the Bushing and went with that. I did put the new bushing on the old CV that was sitting in my garage, just to see how snug it was, the old axle (180,000 miles) seemed to not have much ware at all on the input shaft.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #1467
SoCal Hillbilly is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
SoCal Hillbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post

Thanks, this answered a few questions. Wonder if the mods could add your link to the first post of this thread.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #1468
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done installing the bushing among many other things on my 06 w/ 80k on it. It has excessive cv slop but no vibration but I decided to install the bushing since I would have the entire front end apart anyway.

The removal & install went smooth. A great way to get the cv axle out is a pry bar against the diff & a good wack against the flange on the axle. One wack popped mine out. A rubber mallet works great to install it as well.

I put the bushing in the freezer for an hour which made installation easy.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #1469
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
So any lift we do on the truck will cause this vibration? I am now seriously doubting the 3" lift I am having installed tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #1471
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
So any lift we do on the truck will cause this vibration? I am now seriously doubting the 3" lift I am having installed tomorrow.
The bushing isn't a bad job to do & regardless of a lift or not, the front diff needle bearing wears & causes cv slop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post
That's a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think to do that. We do it at work...
Ball joints as well

I put it in the freezer in fear of cracking the bushing from excessive force as I have seen others do. I installed the bushing on my 05 with success by putting it in the freezer for an hour, worked great.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #1472
typeone is on a distinguished road

typeone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
TYPEONE ^^, I installed new axles first, not knowing about the bushing mod, then I realized how much excess play was in the drivers side axle. After a ton of research I finally discovered the Bushing and went with that. I did put the new bushing on the old CV that was sitting in my garage, just to see how snug it was, the old axle (180,000 miles) seemed to not have much ware at all on the input shaft.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #1473
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the vibe started less than a mile after installing the AAL in my '07. Added 5100s and now there's no doubt I need the bushing or to lower the truck again.

Just curious if anyone has put some higher mileage on the East Coast bushing by this time? If so, is it still doing it's magic?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #1474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
Well, the vibe started less than a mile after installing the AAL in my '07. Added 5100s and now there's no doubt I need the bushing or to lower the truck again.

Just curious if anyone has put some higher mileage on the East Coast bushing by this time? If so, is it still doing it's magic?

There's quite a few posts in this thread about miles on the bushing.......
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #1475
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has gotten too big to easily find things in. Lots of people not reading the 74 pages, which is understandable, and missing key information. Also, the solution of the ECGS bushing and the techniques for install evolved during the thread.

Perhaps a new thread with all the relevant information in the first post is in order?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #1476
typeone is on a distinguished road

typeone's Tacoma Gallery
i agree it's long, but it's great info and chain of events as they unfolded.

maybe BenWA could just update the first post with the newest info? stuff like your update and uncleARTs latest pics/how to would be great.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #1477
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
This thread has gotten too big to easily find things in. Lots of people not reading the 74 pages, which is understandable, and missing key information. Also, the solution of the ECGS bushing and the techniques for install evolved during the thread.

Perhaps a new thread with all the relevant information in the first post is in order?
Looks like the relevant information is on the first post to me? What else do you need?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #1478

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Looks like the relevant information is on the first post to me? What else do you need?
More information on bearing removal technique and tips, bushing install technique and tips, CV axle removal/install, install photos of all steps. There seem to be lots of recurrent questions in these areas, and the answers are frequently buried deep in the thread.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #1479
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
qnyla, how are you racking up that many miles?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #1480
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post

^^ Yep.

Products Discussed in this Thread