Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

why buy a Receiver Shackle when you can just make one for $10??

Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Cmatt1605 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cmatt1605's Tacoma Gallery
why buy a Receiver Shackle when you can just make one for $10??

just wondering why would anyone buy a receiver shackle, when they could just make one out of a receiver and a normal shackle instead of a ball??? is there any cons from doing this??? i have two pics to clarify what im talking about.

the $50 part:

V.S the $10 part:

Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
You could put ur tow strap into the receiver around the bolt that holds the ball into the receiver too
Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
You could put ur tow strap into the receiver around the bolt that holds the ball into the receiver too
That is what i have always done, works great!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
i would normally do that too, but my tow strap is just over 4" wide (old navy tie down strap for airplanes, similar to the ones the big rigs use to tie down loads)

but are their any down flaws to doing the shackle this way?? i just had an extra receiver laying around the house.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
smileyfish is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
smileyfish's Tacoma Gallery
departure angle, the $50 piece sticks out just enough for the d ring, yours sticks out 4-6" past and is lower. you loose some angle and more likely to hit it.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
ohhh ok gotcha, i dont take mine off road all that much, tires arnt really made for it. i just pull a lot of people out, so that should be fine
Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I do what you do; remove the ball, put in the shackle.

If you need departure angle, turn the receiver upside down.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
It's only $50. It's not like it's $500. It's not like they go bad.the shackle doesn't stick out as far as your set up.I've had my shackle Probally close to 15 years.hasn't been used in years but I keep it around.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
lrak will become famous soon enoughlrak will become famous soon enough
lrak's Tacoma Gallery
The Reese / Tow Ready / Hidden Hitch model 63046 receiver shackle is only $25 delivered and has a higher working load than the "$50 one" pictured.

Where do you both the shackle with quick release pin and hitch for $10? That's a great deal.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I got my receiver piece with the hook at HF tools for $15, I keep three different heights of receivers around since I have three different trucks with receiver hitches.

Howard
Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmatt1605 View Post
because this looks good..

and this looks ghetto as hell!!

... but good idea!

and couldnt you fit the actual shackle pin through there instead of that hitch pin or whatever it is?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
I just stuff the end of my towstrap into the female receiver and put the pin through it. I don't know if it's recommended or not, but it's never failed or bent the pin in 25 years of doing stupid, destructive things to the vehicles I rely on daily!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
ggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to behold

ggreen's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a receiver shackle for $11.99 on amazon. It was new but in an open box. Not a bad idea though if you can't find a good deal and don't want to spend the extra coin....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
I just stuff the end of my towstrap into the female receiver and put the pin through it. I don't know if it's recommended or not, but it's never failed or bent the pin in 25 years of doing stupid, destructive things to the vehicles I rely on daily!
Same here, however you have several more years of it.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

yeah the OP said hes using a 4" strap already
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmatt1605 View Post
(old navy tie down strap for airplanes, similar to the ones the big rigs use to tie down loads)

I didnt know Old Navy had tie downs. I wouldnt trust em personally, but thats just me yuk yuk
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
I didnt know Old Navy had tie downs. I wouldnt trust em personally, but thats just me yuk yuk
lol
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I only paid like 20 bucks for mine. Looks better IMO. I guess as long as it works that's all that matters. But I usually keep my shackle in when it's not summer and I don't have the receiver ball in for my boat.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
yeah the OP said hes using a 4" strap already
That's a pretty wide strap. I just have a 2x30.