Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma vs. Full Size

Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind 4 adult passengers can put you at 800lb.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #22
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Exactly. The Tacoma is a great fun truck - it isn't a daily work truck.
OZ-T would disagree.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
One Convenient Locations ......In Africa
Sleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: HMM-263 MALS-29
Name: Corporal
Sleeper362's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't OZ-T Offroad for a living though?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
Hello all! I have lurked on the forum a while and have found the information shared to be very informative. I'm in the market for a new truck, and would like your help weighing the pros and cons of a Tacoma vs. A full size truck. Currently I own an F-150 lariat, and love it. I'm just looking to get into something newer. I own a building materials supply company, and log anywhere between 20-25k miles a year mixed city/highway. I don't tow often, but I do haul heavy material (between 500-2000 lbs)a few times a month. I drove a new Tacoma double cab, TRD and liked it. My only concern is that I might regret going from a full size truck to a midsize truck. I don't want to get caught in a jam and not be able to haul if needed. On the plus side the Tacoma sips gas just a bit better than a full size F-150 or Tundra, not drastically better mpg, but still more efficient. Price isn't a major concern, but the Tacoma new is approximately $30k vs a full size Tundra or F-150 with a few more options getting me into the $40's very easily. Also, on the highway i found the Tundra/F-150 to have less road noise Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You need a real truck, not a Toy.
I'd look at the F150 with the turbo 6 cyl.
Or a used diesel.
Tacos are sport trucks, more about styling than function.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #25
USA is on a distinguished road
USA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumon View Post
If you haul bulding supplies on a regular basis, forget it. A sheet of plywood doesn't fit between the fender...
Yep, I've just checked the F150 spec: the length between the fenders is 50 inches, that means that 8x4 feet sheets of plywood will lay flat on the bed. The Tacoma's distance between the fenders is 41.5"
Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #26
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
A chevy 3/4 hauls 2200lb,( model/pkg /yr dependant), in a 4x4 and crew cab, I doubt any 1/2 ton 4x4 can carry 1800lb unless its a reg cab or 2wd. Simply put, if you want to haul 2000 lb , list a given model and check its payload,open 2-3 explorer tabs even to flip quicker between models/brand.Also know that some options/fuel/passengers ALL take from the payload. As far as building supplies go , its comparable to some of the work I do. A diesel ,3/4ton,2wd ,perhaps extended cab is a great setup for good mpg empty , and 2000lb range payload.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #27
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
A chevy 3/4 hauls 2200lb,( model/pkg /yr dependant), in a 4x4 and crew cab, I doubt any 1/2 ton 4x4 can carry 1800lb unless its a reg cab or 2wd. Simply put, if you want to haul 2000 lb , list a given model and check its payload,open 2-3 explorer tabs even to flip quicker between models/brand.Also know that some options/fuel/passengers ALL take from the payload. As far as building supplies go , its comparable to some of the work I do. A diesel ,3/4ton,2wd ,perhaps extended cab is a great setup for good mpg empty , and 2000lb range payload.
F150 Ecoboost V6 has a 3k payload.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #28
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Now thats something new,nice, available early 2011.
As a whole among all brands,the 1/2 ton catagory is...or was characterized by 1800lb range 4x2 or reg cabs , and anorexic access and crew cabs with 1300lb payloads.
With that new data, OP could just opt for one of the listed choices,now i wonder what dodge/chevy/toyota have new for payloads.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
F150 Ecoboost V6 has a 3k payload.
Why is Ford not shouting this number from the rooftops? When you take into account a ~200lb driver this means you can now carry just about twice as much stuff in a half-ton.

Isn't it also ironic a half-ton can now haul 1.5 tons?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #30
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
Why is Ford not shouting this number from the rooftops? When you take into account a ~200lb driver this means you can now carry just about twice as much stuff in a half-ton.

Isn't it also ironic a half-ton can now haul 1.5 tons?
I thought about that today at work. I suspect they just stopped making 1/2 ton frames totally, ran with a 3/4 ton frame with the appropriate axles.Really.....8200lb and calling it a half ton, 10 years ago,a light 3/4 ton was around 7200 lbs. That implies the truck weighs around 5000lb curb weight.
Maybe the ol "one ton" toyota small truck will return, remember them in the late 70s/early 80s?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #31
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
You definitely need a full size. I checked out the F-150 with its twin-turbo EcoBoost 3.5L V6 engine, developing 362 hp. That was phenomenal. EPA mileage rating is 16 city and 22 highway, not bad for a full-size truck. The new Ford 3.7L V6 engine develops 302 hp with the EPA mileage rating of 17 city and 23 highway, that's better than the Tacoma 4.0L V6 engine rating of 17/21.

I am comparing midsize vs fullsize. I like the full size truck bed to haul many bikes and bulky (but not very heavy) things. A long bed Tacoma might work for me.
x2.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #32
MSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to all
Name: Mark
MSCOFF's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at a Nissan Frontier but bought the Tacoma. However the Frontier is listed (V6) with a bit mor HP, torque, and a higher payload weight by about 150 pounds.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #33
MGH-PA will become famous soon enough

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
To this day I regret not getting a fullsize. If you're not offroading, or for whatever reason you don't like parking something bigger, there is no reason not to get a modern fullsize. MPG is better in the Tacoma, but imho (based on friends around me driving various late model 1/2 tons), this difference is negligible.

I load my truck a lot (firewood, pavers, lumber, scrap metal, etc), and I'm just an average homeowner. This truck wasn't built for this. Do I still like it? Of course. It's a great truck. It's just a niche truck, imho.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #34
paul's08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
paul's08's Tacoma Gallery
drywall sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumon View Post
If you haul bulding supplies on a regular basis, forget it. Sheets of plywood and drywall doesn't fit between the fenders...
Here is a picture of my 2008 with TSP springs loaded with 1100 lbs of 4X8 and 4X10 sheets of drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma vs. Full Size-drywall-2011-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #35
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH-PA View Post
To this day I regret not getting a fullsize. If you're not offroading, or for whatever reason you don't like parking something bigger, there is no reason not to get a modern fullsize. MPG is better in the Tacoma, but imho (based on friends around me driving various late model 1/2 tons), this difference is negligible.

I load my truck a lot (firewood, pavers, lumber, scrap metal, etc), and I'm just an average homeowner. This truck wasn't built for this. Do I still like it? Of course. It's a great truck. It's just a niche truck, imho.
I agree with you. There are some things that Tacoma's simply can't do as well as a full size truck. That's why I have a 5.4 F-150 for pulling stumps and 4x4 for winter, etc. But I love my gas mileage and I've been able to haul pretty much everything I wanted to so far with my little 4 banger. I'm hauling a load of outdoor furniture to South Carolina on Friday...should be about 600 miles.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #36
senile member

That ecoboost engine and whopping payload are quite impressive. I tend to be whatever you want to call me , cynical,jaded, heard all that etc, usually I'm sick of hearing the newest 1 up game for towing stats.I hope that eco boost translates into some good competition between truck makers. Imagine that 3.5L twin turbo 360 hp 400 ft/lb engine in a tacoma!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #37
USA is on a distinguished road
USA's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
That ecoboost engine and whopping payload are quite impressive. I tend to be whatever you want to call me , cynical,jaded, heard all that etc, usually I'm sick of hearing the newest 1 up game for towing stats.I hope that eco boost translates into some good competition between truck makers. Imagine that 3.5L twin turbo 360 hp 400 ft/lb engine in a tacoma!
Agreed, don't take my words for it. Go and test drive that twin turbo engine on a F-150 to see what it's like. And if possible, start a company to fit that engine in the Tacoma
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #38
Sleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A friend of mine just picked one up today, he said laying into it the whole way home from the dealership, he still pulled down 18mpg (all city driving), no shit. When he says he laid into it I know how he drives, it was at WOT the whole time. Here is a pick.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #39
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Or get a trailer and just pull your shit around. The Taco's too sexy to mess up from throwing work loads in there. It's easy/cheap to increase the load capacity on the Taco, it has the power, but why get shit all over your truck... get a trailer for work, unhook it on the weekend, enjoy your sweet new truck.

But seeing as I regularly drive full-sized Chevy, Dodge, and Fords at work: go with Ford.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Or get a trailer and just pull your shit around. The Taco's too sexy to mess up from throwing work loads in there. It's easy/cheap to increase the load capacity on the Taco, it has the power, but why get shit all over your truck... get a trailer for work, unhook it on the weekend, enjoy your sweet new truck.
Storing a trailer can be a bitch though. And why have a bed if your never going to use it?