Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma vs. Full Size

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Lucky7 is on a distinguished road
Lucky7's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma vs. Full Size

Hello all! I have lurked on the forum a while and have found the information shared to be very informative. I'm in the market for a new truck, and would like your help weighing the pros and cons of a Tacoma vs. A full size truck. Currently I own an F-150 lariat, and love it. I'm just looking to get into something newer. I own a building materials supply company, and log anywhere between 20-25k miles a year mixed city/highway. I don't tow often, but I do haul heavy material (between 500-2000 lbs)a few times a month. I drove a new Tacoma double cab, TRD and liked it. My only concern is that I might regret going from a full size truck to a midsize truck. I don't want to get caught in a jam and not be able to haul if needed. On the plus side the Tacoma sips gas just a bit better than a full size F-150 or Tundra, not drastically better mpg, but still more efficient. Price isn't a major concern, but the Tacoma new is approximately $30k vs a full size Tundra or F-150 with a few more options getting me into the $40's very easily. Also, on the highway i found the Tundra/F-150 to have less road noise Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A Tacoma will NOT haul 2000# in the bed. If you require that kinda payload, then a Full size is on order.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra long bed of Sierra Duramax would be the 2 I would be looking at if i were you. I left a Silverado Z71 for the Tacoma because I needed to come down in size. Sounds like you need the bed too much to get a smallish truck.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Lucky7's Tacoma Gallery
Chris,
I have gotten conflicting answers in reference to what the Tacoma can carry in the bed. I know 2,000 is def out of the question, but what about 1,000-1,500?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Yea definitely sounds like you need a full size. I went with the Tacoma because I only tow about 2000lbs and never have anything heavy in the bed. Obviously if the Tacoma offers what you need beside that you'd probably be okay not checking off all the option boxes on a full size I'm sure you can get a nice Tundra with the 5.7L for low-mid 30s rather than optioning all the way up into the 40s,

And I think the payload rating for the Tacoma is less than 1000lbs. Not sure though.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma's payload is 1350. Says so right on the door... Anything more than that is silly... I wouldn't do more than 800 or so on a regular basis.

Tacomas are nice trucks, and they can do some work, but they cannot do the work it looks like you need without some issues...
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
Chris,
I have gotten conflicting answers in reference to what the Tacoma can carry in the bed. I know 2,000 is def out of the question, but what about 1,000-1,500?
1000 is doable, but more is pushing it. 1500# nope.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Lucky7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Yea definitely sounds like you need a full size. I went with the Tacoma because I only tow about 2000lbs and never have anything heavy in the bed. Obviously if the Tacoma offers what you need beside that you'd probably be okay not checking off all the option boxes on a full size I'm sure you can get a nice Tundra with the 5.7L for low-mid 30s rather than optioning all the way up into the 40s,

And I think the payload rating for the Tacoma is less than 1000lbs. Not sure though.
Thanks J,
It sounds like I need full size. Looks like back to the drawing board!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A Tacoma will NOT haul 2000# in the bed. If you require that kinda payload, then a Full size is on order.
x2, plus the Tacoma isn't all that much better than the full sized trucks on gas. It's better than the Tundra just because that one sucks gas but it's not far off the from F-150 or the Silverado. Plus the Tacoma will not safely haul that kind of weight unless it's in a trailer. If you need a full size, a Tacoma is not a substitute. If you need a mid-size truck, the Tacoma is a great choice.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
The 4 cylinder Tacoma's have a higher payload than the V6. 1000-1500+ lbs....no problem. But if were to do it on a regular basis, I would skip the V6 Tacoma and jump into a V8 in a heartbeat.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
USA is on a distinguished road
USA's Tacoma Gallery
You definitely need a full size. I checked out the F-150 with its twin-turbo EcoBoost 3.5L V6 engine, developing 362 hp. That was phenomenal. EPA mileage rating is 16 city and 22 highway, not bad for a full-size truck. The new Ford 3.7L V6 engine develops 302 hp with the EPA mileage rating of 17 city and 23 highway, that's better than the Tacoma 4.0L V6 engine rating of 17/21.

I am comparing midsize vs fullsize. I like the full size truck bed to haul many bikes and bulky (but not very heavy) things. A long bed Tacoma might work for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
One Convenient Locations ......In Africa
Sleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: HMM-263 MALS-29
Name: Corporal
Sleeper362's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with the 150 and get the eco boost six that is coming out. It gets better mileage than a Tacoma and is a more proven platform than the Tundra or GMs. You need a 2500 GM to hang with a 150(0) Ford.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
nhgranite will become famous soon enoughnhgranite will become famous soon enough

nhgranite's Tacoma Gallery
stock leafs on tacoma's are a joke. i just put in dakars and my payload went way up. i'm out of warrenty so it didn't matter.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgranite View Post
stock leafs on tacoma's are a joke. i just put in dakars and my payload went way up. i'm out of warrenty so it didn't matter.

x2, you'd be lucky to not hit the bumper stops with 600 lbs. OP, do a search for rear spring TSB and you'll get plenty of info on the inferior stock springs used in these 2nd gen trucks...
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree with most everyone here that the Tacoma is great of mild towing and hauling in the bed. I am mostly disturbed at how the mpg isn't better than a fullsize truck. While I enjoy my Tacoma - I am looking forward to my next truck; most likely a 4x4 F-150. I like my Tacoma - but she isn't a fullsize truck that I really needed and I realize that.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Lucky7's Tacoma Gallery
I am definitely looking into the F-150 ecoboost. I really appreciate all the helpful advice and honesty. I will keep you informed when I make the purchase.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
I am definitely looking into the F-150 ecoboost. I really appreciate all the helpful advice and honesty. I will keep you informed when I make the purchase.
Sold my 02 F150 S/Crew and bought a 2010 Tacoma Nov. 09. The Tacoma gets a bit better gas mileage than my old truck. Not huge difference, maybe a couple mpg better in town. On highway I have actually gotten almost identical mileage at speeds of 70 mph. The F150 being bigger is way more comfortable. The Taco looks prettier. Price for my Tacoma was just over 30K before tax. I did recently drive a a new eco-boost F150 crew. If it gets the mileage they say it's gonna be a sweet one. I might just have to go have another look.
If towing regularly is your thing, go big or stay home. K
Old 04-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
saumon is on a distinguished road
saumon's Tacoma Gallery
If you haul bulding supplies on a regular basis, forget it. Sheets of plywood and drywall doesn't fit between the fenders...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumon View Post
If you haul bulding supplies on a regular basis, forget it. A sheet of plywood doesn't fit between the fender...
Exactly. The Tacoma is a great fun truck - it isn't a daily work truck.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I had about 2300 on my first gen

No problems at all