Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen or wait?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen or wait?

Hi folks. My first post and I'm very close to making a deal on a left over 2010th access cab v6 standard shift sr5 4x4. The only thing that holds me back is first I am trading in. 2010th Honda Element that is a great car just boring as hell to drive, so its not like I need to do this. Second and more pressing to me am I going to kick my self when the 3rd gen Tacoma arrive. I have not been able to tell if the are supposed to be here for 2012 or 13. Does not seem to be any real solid info. What do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
06silverbullet is on a distinguished road
06silverbullet's Tacoma Gallery
Tech told me it probably be 2013, I just bought a 2011 DC. We can always trade if we have to.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
2013 was the original slated time for the next gen. But with Japan's earthquakes & issues. Toyota could hold off for a later date. I would go ahead & get the Tacoma. Then when the 3rd gen arrives, you can decide whether to trade up then.

Welcome to TW!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
I'm waiting....I have a 2005 TRD and want to see what the Gen 3 offers before I get the last model of the Gen 2 or the new Gen 3.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I assume the Element gets good fuel economy. Unless you've got money to burn I'd hold off and wait if you're not having any issues with the Honda. Fuel ecomony may be your ace in the hole.

Steve
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
who cares? worst case scenario, you end up with a tacoma. win-win. .. . . and then if your into the newest thing, in a couple of years you can get the new one. . . . . i myself will be driving my truck for another 6 or 7 years (or thats the plan, maybe longer!)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBuckets View Post
Hi folks. My first post and I'm very close to making a deal on a left over 2010th access cab v6 standard shift sr5 4x4. The only thing that holds me back is first I am trading in. 2010th Honda Element that is a great car just boring as hell to drive, so its not like I need to do this. Second and more pressing to me am I going to kick my self when the 3rd gen Tacoma arrive. I have not been able to tell if the are supposed to be here for 2012 or 13. Does not seem to be any real solid info. What do you guys think?
2012 from Toyota themself. However, didn't specific if that was the 2012 model year, or the calendar year. In addition, the fj v6 will be it's engine. Personally I'm waiting for the 3rd gen, and bought a 1st gen to hold me over for now.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
the 2012 should be unveiled this week at the new york auto show, see what it is and go from there. It's supposed to be out in july (from toyota via FB)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I assume the Element gets good fuel economy. Unless you've got money to burn I'd hold off and wait if you're not having any issues with the Honda. Fuel ecomony may be your ace in the hole.

Steve
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd wait and enjoy the MPGs you are getting unless money is not an issue at all in your life.. Then get the 2nd gen and if you like the third gen get it as well. The Element will depreciated a lot less going forward from here on than any new vehicles ESPECIALLY a 6 cyl truck with $5 fuel around the corner. Unless they start offering huge incentivesoin the 6 cyl Tacos I would definitely wait...

I don't think the judgement of others regarding the Element should any bearing on your decision, unless approval from strangers is important to you.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No one knows when Toyota plans on redoing the Tacoma. The current model is great but if you want to wait then wait. I don't think there will be any major changes to the drivetrain though.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
TacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet -11B
Name: Randy
TacoRan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
the 2012 should be unveiled this week at the new york auto show, see what it is and go from there. It's supposed to be out in july (from toyota via FB)
Yea just wait a couple of days and see if they unveil a new model @ New York. If not then it's safe to assume the 2012 is a carry over.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
I went forward and purchased the Taco. I actually only average around 20 mpg in the Element. I think it is a great vehicle, I just need more power and can't live with a car. The Element was my attempt to get away from pick-ups and into something with better MPG....but it seems most people are getting very close to what I was getting in the Element in the Tacoma. I know the manual 6 speed is rated lower on the mpg side, but I feel I should be able to get at least what the auto transmission is rated depending on driving style. Thanks for the input...I'm excited to drive my manual 6v!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
I personally would wait til next gen. I'm less than impressed with current Tacomas. Drive a 09 w/ 38K

Motoretro
Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went forward and purchased the Taco. I actually only average around 20 mpg in the Element. I think it is a great vehicle, I just need more power and can't live with a car. The Element was my attempt to get away from pick-ups and into something with better MPG....but it seems most people are getting very close to what I was getting in the Element in the Tacoma. I know the manual 6 speed is rated lower on the mpg side, but I feel I should be able to get at least what the auto transmission is rated depending on driving style. Thanks for the input...I'm excited to drive my manual 6v!
Congrats!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You made the right choice for you. Didn't know the Element was that bad in fuel economy.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm looking @ trading in my 2005 & buying a 2011 DC sport. Able to get one for
$1500 below invoice through Bank of America's auto buying program. 2wd DC sport pkg(not jbl) , towing pkg. $25125 + tax, tag, title.( Invoice is $26625). Boa interest rate 2.99% for 60 months. Toyota offering 2.9% for 60 months.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Typically a vehicle will have a fair share of problems in its first year of redesign. The 2010 Taco has pretty much all the bugs fixed. I'd get it now, then trade it in for a 2015 Taco, assuming you will like the 3rd Gen.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Typically a vehicle will have a fair share of problems in its first year of redesign. The 2010 Taco has pretty much all the bugs fixed. I'd get it now, then trade it in for a 2015 Taco, assuming you will like the 3rd Gen.
That statement isn't always true. My 2005 is the 1st year of the 2nd gen & it didn't have any bugs.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
floptop is on a distinguished road
Army: 808th engineering batt. AK
Name: Ben
floptop's Tacoma Gallery
The newer design is not always better. Remember the 60 ford. 59s at every car show. 60s very rare and most are convertible.