Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hellwig Sway Bars

Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Rob2.7Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
Rob2.7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig Sway Bars

I've been thinking about adding a rear sway bar to my truck. Seems like Hellwig is the only company to make them? Any suggestions
http://www.**************.com/index....oducts_id=3787
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
I've got that on my truck. Well worth it. Addaco also makes sways front and rear.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
Big recommendation on the hellwig from me. Couldn't stand the body roll of the truck and installed the hellwig and my only regret is that I hadn't done it sooner.

Here is my original write up after doing the install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sway-bars.html
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2.7Taco View Post
I've been thinking about adding a rear sway bar to my truck. Seems like Hellwig is the only company to make them? Any suggestions
http://www.**************.com/index....oducts_id=3787
Can't agree more about how the Hellwig bar helped handling. It's especially evident on highway where, before, semi's and crosswinds presented unwelcome adventures as they pushed my high-sitting, light-weight Tacoma all over the road.

Installation was pretty easy... much easier if you drop the spare to make room while you work.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Does it really help that much on the highway? I'm looking.for crosswind help. Bought Bilsteins but haven't installed them yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig is a great product.
I had one on my 09 prerunner.
When I did a lift the 2" AAL made the rear swaybar links too short.
I was not able to move the bar due to parts in the way so if you are lifted be prepared to get longer links to keep it working.
Good luck on the project.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
Does it really help that much on the highway? I'm looking.for crosswind help. Bought Bilsteins but haven't installed them yet.
Absolutely, definitely YES! A rear sway bar helps tremendously with highway buffeting! It's almost amazing.

What happens is the wind pushes you, you steer into it to keep from moving and the body leans. The lean changes the geometry of the front suspension which induces an 'under-steer' moment to the outside of the counter-steering radius, compounding the effect of the wind's push. So you dial even more steering correction to keep it going straight which makes it lean still a little more.

All those interactive affects makes the steering vague as the wind speed changes so you can see how passing a big semi becomes a HUGE battle. The buffets come and go and reverse from left to right, making all those huge steering corrections hard to reverse to the other direction in order to keep going somewhat straight.

I'm really not sure how much Billies help with that...but sway bars ARE the answer! Control the lean and you control the pulling and steering vagueness!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
By far the best upgrade you can do to the truck that will make it so much nicer to drive.

Would put it above changing out the POS stock tires if I didn't live in the North East. Stock Dunlops and snow\ice = better have a damn good life insurance policy.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

Thanks for the help guys, i'll order the kit once my tsb gets done
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I've have mine on for about 10 months now and I love it! The difference in driving was night and day after I installed it. Now I have to be careful when I hop into my F150 because I try to take turns at the same speed and I get WAY too much body roll haha.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Can we get a group buy going; pwees. Me wants.

Steve
Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Hellwig is a great product.
I had one on my 09 prerunner.
When I did a lift the 2" AAL made the rear swaybar links too short.
I was not able to move the bar due to parts in the way so if you are lifted be prepared to get longer links to keep it working.
Good luck on the project.

can you explain a little bit more on why you need longer links for lifted trucks?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyb View Post
can you explain a little bit more on why you need longer links for lifted trucks?

I'm not lifted, but having put on a bar I think I see the situation..

The bar is clamped to the axle tube on either side, about 1/2 way from pumpkin to spring perch, and the end links are attached to the frame, at the end of the bar's arms extending out from the axle. For best performance, the arms should be (nearly) parallel to the body of the truck. Lifting the truck extends the distance between the axle and the frame so the bar's arms would tilt way up, shortening the moment between the axle and the frame so it exerts less force against the outside wheel as the body leans. Longer end links lets you lower the bar arms back to optimal.

Also, cause the bar arms are tilting way up the attach point has to move forward on the frame and apparently something else is there...so it won't fit!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #15

I'll contact Hellwig and start a group buy. I'm stoked to get one.