1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bak flip driving while open

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by magnum922, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    magnum922

magnum922 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4.0 tow pkg 4x4
    Hello, I have a bak flip f1 and was wondering if anyone has drivin with their cover all the way open against the back cab propped up on the highway? It says you can do this. I havent tried it yet. The prop rods seems like it would be flimsy at 65 mph. Just the corners stick out on the top around the cab. Dont want to catch the air and brake the rods.

2. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Not a problem, save one. Just be sure that the mounting hardware is secure. I had one of those cheap star nuts come loose and the cover twisted and dropped into the bed and the high side scratched the window. :mad: Which was easily fixed by strategically placing a sticker over it. ;) Double check those or replace their original hardware like I did. After that I have had no problems. The rods are more than enough to keep the cover upright. Go ahead and compress the cover to the cab of the truck, then tighten the rod anchors. It saves vibration. Enjoy.

3. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    Thanks ThreeMan

I ordered this cover and wondered about having it open while driving. I'll beef up the hardware on install.

4. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Glad I could help. I also fabbed up a better drainage system.

5. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Norcan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    I would love to see pics of the drainage upgrade. I should get my cover next week.

6. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Nothing spectacular. I didn't want to run hoses the full height of the bed, so I sent through the lip. I just picked up some fittings and TA-DA, short drains. They work well.

Lights008_18a5426c7cf741bb939d0761d08721ecfe832988.jpg

Lights009_3583bb398a3fe25eb6699414f6dd2963c37f7d45.jpg

You can see where it's scratched from the fall. Like I said, after replacing the plastic star nuts, it has been fine.

7. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    magnum922

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I tried the drainage system with the 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch brass hose barb adapters put into the existing drain holes. It works pretty god but has a little puddle under each side (i think it might not be enough flow. I am currently trying the 3/4 inch hose into each existing side pocket of the bed (since it has about 6 slots in each) with it zip tied down through the slot to see if it will get better flow and not puddle up. Havnt tried it in the rain yet. I will post the results if it is any better than the first method. I just can't seem to drill two 3/4 holes in the bed like they say to.

8. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    Tricky

Tricky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmetto, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    Anytime Fog Lights Bakflip HD Billstein 5100's Blacked Out Scoop Debadged FJ62 TOYOTA Smile Grillcraft Upper & Lower K&N Intake Magnaflow Cat-Back OEM Roof Rack Pioneer Speaker Upgrade Redline Hood Struts Slimcubby's HIDs Toytec 1.5 AAL
    Here's what I did. Hardly an original idea, but it works great. The fishing poles and leaves in the picture are in no way necessary for proper drainage, but do add enjoyment.

Tacoma4.jpg
    Tacoma3.jpg
    Tacoma2.jpg
    Tacoma.jpg

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    magnum922

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean by star nuts- the big plastic handles that hold the cover down underneath.

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    magnum922

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do you get any puddling with that when it rains?

11. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    Norcan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I like the way you ran yours ThreeMan! Not in the way of loading bigger items in the bed.

12. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB

Yes.

13. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB

Thank you. Pretty simple and effective.

14. Apr 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    vsick

vsick Well-Known Member

Member:
    I installed my bakflip HD last friday. Got some rain in the bay area yesterday. Popped the tail gate open and noticed some trickling from the rain water. Not too bad, but I would rather have it dry. I am assuming a small puddle accumulated along the top of the truck bed and trickled down through the side gaskets. Anyone make improvements to the seal after their install?

15. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I copied someone else's design and routed the drain lines thru the side.

DSC_0013.jpg

16. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    magnum922

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do you get a little puddling under the drain hose area when raining?

Products Discussed in

To Top