1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pics of EGR or Weathertech window deflectors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rbeezy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 20, 2011 at 1:58 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    ya. if only the Ranger looked like a Tacoma, then why not. but the deflectors look the same, so i went with the cheaper

2. Apr 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    :threadjacked:

[​IMG]

my old whip

3. Apr 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Jdevine80

Jdevine80 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 V6 DC TRD Sport 6 Speed
    Sounds like you guys have had good luck with the EGRs. I bought the In Channel ones and it would cause my front windows to really struggle to close and they'd move horizontally about half an inch when the top of the window was passing the visor. I tried removing them and installing several times but it didn't make a difference. I was worried about getting the window off track or burning up the motor early so I sent them back.
    The back ones seemed to fit fine though.

4. Apr 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    that dont look too bad

5. Apr 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    Not to sound obnoxious, but wouldn't any in-channel visor that adds plastic between your weatherstripping and window cause that? I have the EGR ones myself, and while it's obvious they're present when rolling up the windows, I wouldn't say they struggle, and I just drove 400 miles round trip yesterday in torrential downpours, and not a single problem, so the weatherstripping seems to still be doing the job.

6. Apr 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Slimline in-channel EGRs here. The slimline are in-channel. I know several people that had the Weathertechs come out of the rear windows while driving. I think the EGR are better quality and less money.

7. Apr 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 EL REY!

Member:
    First Name:
    DANNY M
    CORONA,CALIF..HG
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner tacoma
    tube steps...10k hids...luminics 3k fogs k&n air filter.12" sub pioneer head unit.epicenter.2000w amp.
    im thinking of getting mine too...also my roof rack nice look on a tacoma

8. Apr 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Smoke Porterhouse
    North Cali
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCORSB 4x4
    I know this is a n00b question, but what do these do? Cut down on wind noise?

9. Apr 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    Yesterday was a perfect example of why I have mine... it was nice outside (70 degrees), but raining like hell. These let me crack my windows to get a nice breeze and fresh air without getting wet.

10. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    x2. I, though, originally got mine because I was cooking myself with the defrost on full heat and high fan speed to try and melt the snow as it builds up on the windshield from the wipers while driving. Needed to open the window for some cooler air on me but didn't want a pile of snow on me too.

A plus for the double cabs with them, you can lower the driver's side rear window a couple of inches, and then lower the driver's front window all the way down without any wind turbulence on the driver (and you can adjust the rear window to give as much breeze on the driver as you want). The wind is so calm you could light a match while driving on the freeway (though I wouldn't recommend doing that:D).

11. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    Foxbat

Foxbat Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Step rails
    I installed Ventshades from Advance Auto Parts 3 weeks ago and they are great and got them on sale for $40. I got these because the store is nearby but don't regret the purchase. I noted on the Weathertech site it shows the vents installed on all side windows even though we all know the back side windows on an access cab do not open. That doesn't make sense to me. No complaints with the ones I installed and they look super.

12. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Had WTs last time on the AC but may look into these EGR for the reg cab. My window tint went to shit in the top rear corner of of both windows after doing the vent guards but that could have been coincidence. You could definitely tell they were there rolling up the windows. Didn't and don't fear any window motor badness since both are manual cranks.

13. Jun 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
  14. Jun 1, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, had the WTs on my 05 access cab. Took them off and they are few inches short for the 08 regular cab doors. So, how is it that both EGR & Weathertech list the same part for all Tacomas? WT = 80411 & EGR = 564971. They say they fit std, extended & crew cabs. Not seeing how that is possible, ac & dc same but reg cab? Nah, longer.

15. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Tarheelz2350

Tarheelz2350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Dallas, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM 4x4 TRD O/R DC
    Bilstein 5100's F/R, Tin Snip mud flap mod, Partial Debadge, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Rear Spring TSB, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Devil Horn's courtesy of Andres
    Got the WT's on my D-Cab. Very good quality. Got them off E-bay. for 89.95 w/free shipping. Check out OttopartsCo. Got them wihin three days of ordering.

16. Aug 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    Has anyone with window tint had any issues with the in channels? I had a friend with in channels on a different kind of vehicle that ran into peeling of the tint as it was "pushed" over a little more inside the door when the window was coming into the top seal. Do the Tacos have a little bit of give in there to let me get my windows tinted too? Maybe it was just a bad tint job too. :notsure:

17. Aug 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Here are my EGR in channels. I have tinted windows that came from the dealer. Haven't had any issues with it yet.............(knock on wood) But the fronts have about 1/4 inch gap at the top on the glass which I normally hate but since this might be an issue I'm ok with it. I did actually add some 3m tape to the front since they did rattle when closing the doors without the windows all the way up. However it didn't fix it. :( So I do have a little extra thickness in the channel. I do have what appears to be scratches from the tightness of this/them. Not sure if it is in the tint or the glass or both though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Got the EGRs for the reg cab. No side window tint yet so no issue with that......

[​IMG]

19. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    Bolt79

Bolt79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    White Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition
    Screen ProTech kit, JDMCAR center console organizer, JDMCAR Center Console Armrest Cushion, Toyota door sill protectors, Black Toyota tailgate letter inserts
    I've got the EGR in-channels and I love 'em. And, I have dealer installed tint and have zero issues.

Also, I've got a practically brand new EGR bug deflector (was on my truck for a week) that I'll make some one a great deal on (preferably some one who lives near by so they can pick it up). I've got a Sport and with the hood scoop, the deflector just didn't look right to me.

20. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Lickster

Lickster Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    N. Idaho
    Vehicle:
    just ordered truck ,being built to specs
    No Mods yet - that'l change
    Most of the talk I see is about - How they look - If you are concerned with looks, buy either one, I put parts on my truck because of reputation, reviews, fit and durability.
    Weathertech is a more reputable product in all that they make, they custom fit to each vehicle and warranty,s are reliable. Yes they are more expensive, but that falls under......
    You Get What You Pay For.... I will always pay a little more but then again I will always get more in the long run than buying cheaper.

Products Discussed in

To Top