Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird symptoms

Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Weird symptoms

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, entire car jerks. When accelerating occasionally after a deceleration, get a jerking through rear end.

Also, have an idle shake, this shake is constant at 2000 rpm's

Acceleration feels rough and slow.

46,500 miles on 2006 prerunner. V6 automatic
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't done it already I'd change out the spark plugs. Check all vacuum lines for cuts or deterioration. Check that wiring around the egr valve is not caught or burnt. Try a little Lucas oil in with gas to free up any sticking injuectors. Make sure the piping to the MAF sensor is tight. There is a product (the name escapes me) that you add to the fuel tank that allows any water in the tank to be burned through the engine; that might help, too.

Steve
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

I too am thinking this could be a spark plug issue. I do not believe the originals (factory) were ever changed.

I'm currently running techron concentrate through my gas on this tank.

O and a question. When I shift from reverse to drive, is it normal for the car to move a bit? My fathers sedan does not move when shifting gears, my Tacoma has a noticeable jerk and sometimes(rarely a non metallic sounding clunk)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe transmission mount?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Or motor mount, I know its different but I had a civic that has a bad motor mount and when u would take off or change gears it would make a loud metal to metal sound and clank.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

Thought about a tranny mount. But symptoms dont seem to fit, the jerk isn't a clunk, just the truck jerks a bit forward when shifting into drive, and tries to jerk back when shifting into reverse. Also there is no metallic clunk.

There also is no significant jerk when it shifts while accelerating.

Also, mileage, 45,000 and tranny mount is shot? Seems unlikely.

Regardless, I'm getting new spark plugs and throttle body cleaned next oil change. (about a thousand miles) (mid to late may)

May also take the approach of driving it till something breaks. I have a 3 year, 36,000 mike extended warranty anyhow.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #9

Thanks. Well I got an answer from my friend about the jerking.

I just called my friend who works for a tranny shop. He said it's normal to feel a "jerk" because with an automatic. The load is now being placed on the engine to " drive" the car. Whether it be forwards "Drive" or backwards "Reverse". When you are at a stop and release the brakes, the car moves forward right? And when you are in reverse backing up, you release the brakes and move backwards right? Same principle applies here. The jerk is simply u, the brakes, and the frame fighting the engines torque making at attempt to move. This sounds logical to me. He said though if it makes a metallic thunk, or thinks while shifting and accelerating, that this is a sign of a bad tranny mount.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I'd check and adjust (tighten up) the rear brakes; they may not be holding the truck correctly when stopping or stopped. When you're driving and apply the brakes does it feel like the rear brakes are coming on first, or at all!? Properly adjusted rear brakes will make your front brakes last alot longer, too. That fuel concentrate along with barely firing spark plugs (let's be honest) would cause rough idling. Change those plugs asap.

Steve
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
I kinda have the same thing...i feel like it wasn't there when i bought the truck
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #12

I had my brakes checked when i got 2 new tires installed in the rear last week. They said all was well. Even took me into the service area of my mechanics shop to show me the status of em, yes, pads are getting worn, but no more than expected sitting in bumper to bumper traffic everyday. I've been using this shop for 2 years. Never had a problem and I trust em fully with my vehicles
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #13

Well. Heres the status. Acceleration is back. Weird eh? But idle is still a bit rough. As I said, plugs are going next oil change, I simply do not have time to take it before then.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

Clank has gotten worse. Entire trucks jerks after a 1-2 second delay when shifting from drive into reverse and park to drive and reverse. Guess I just wasted 18 grand on a lemon. Now definitely starting to hate toyota.

Maybe I should have bought a chevy silverado like I originally intended. this problem went from me being concerned to me being extremely angered.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyTaco View Post
Clank has gotten worse. Entire trucks jerks after a 1-2 second delay when shifting from drive into reverse and park to drive and reverse. Guess I just wasted 18 grand on a lemon. Now definitely starting to hate toyota.

Maybe I should have bought a chevy silverado like I originally intended. this problem went from me being concerned to me being extremely angered.
Reach under the truck when it's in park and twist the drive shaft back and forth, see if you have a lot of play. If you do, that would explain the clunk you are getting.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
What you are noticing is normal. Either way you need to change your spark plugs due to mileage but it will not fix the issue.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #17

davtopgun - checked driveshaft,no play in U joints

rjclemen - the clunk in the tranny is normal? Some times its not bad at all, some days feels like the damn truck is gonna fall apart.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
fjrmurph will become famous soon enoughfjrmurph will become famous soon enough
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
Stand beside the truck and have someone cycle the transmission through park,drive,reverse. Lots of time you will hear sounds that will help identify the problem. If there is something wrong with the drive train that might help or it could be engine related.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #19
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyTaco View Post
davtopgun - checked driveshaft,no play in U joints

rjclemen - the clunk in the tranny is normal? Some times its not bad at all, some days feels like the damn truck is gonna fall apart.
I honestly get the same thing. I feel like on cold days it does it more often. I think it is just one of those things that happens with our trucks. But really? I mean that is not a very big issue all things considered. I mean I had a BMW X5 (worst car on the planet, I swear) that was plagued with issues. But my truck? Nothing other than the vibes from the lift, which aren't bad and I am not bothered in the slightest by them.