Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does the high mileage oil really help?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Does the high mileage oil really help?

Does the 75,000 miles and up oil really help or is it another way to get more money from people.
Is it really worth the $60+ bucks?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005Tacoma View Post
Does the 75,000 miles and up oil really help or is it another way to get more money from people.

Best oil info. on the web --> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Disclaimer: ... (except for --> chris4x4's "oil filter dissection study") ...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 5 gallon jug is ~$30 and the TOYO filter $5, where do you get $60
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
The 5 gallon jug is ~$30 and the TOYO filter $5, where do you get $60
From the place I have my oil changed
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
help with what?

I've read it has a chemical that swells seals to prevent or reduce leaks
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
help with what?

I've read it has a chemical that swells seals to prevent or reduce leaks
Help protect the motor. Basically what does high mileage oil do that the regular oil don't.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I've always used standard mobil1 synthetic, and my motors have always lasted well into the 100s of k miles. I wouldnt spend the extra dough unless its on sale for less than regular M1 Syn.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Help protect the motor. Basically what does high mileage oil do that the regular oil don't.
I think that additive to help swell seals is the only thing they have different that you might possibly notice an effect from. I suppose they could re-balance the additive package - to deal with increased blow-by from worn rings for instance - and that might help provide better protection. Other than that the base oils are doubtless the same as the regular oils and lubricates the same.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're having your oil changed by somebody else, you're getting ripped off. Getting full synthetic from a place that changes oil probably isn't much less than the high-mileage stuff anyway.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
If you're having your oil changed by somebody else, you're getting ripped off. Getting full synthetic from a place that changes oil probably isn't much less than the high-mileage stuff anyway.
It is difficult for people without garages or strict landlords to perform oil change.
Use Mobil 1 and follow your owner manual's OCI and you will be good.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
An oil change is a 15 minute job, probably less if they don't let it drain fully, so $25-30 for service sounds high to me. Last time I checked, WallyWorld service will do a synthetic oil and filter change for less than $50.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Landscape Photographer
harleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura about

Name: Harley
harleyg's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1995 Camry with 308,000 miles on it. I used to get a lot of oil leakage. Around 150k, I started using high mileage oil. It took about 2 oil changes, but the leaks disappeared. I can go 6k between oil changes (lots of highway miles) and not have to add a drop of oil. Before the high mileage oil, I had to add oil all the time. The stuff works.

My local Meinke shop charges a few extra bucks for the high mileage stuff. I used to do it myself, but for what they charge, it is worth it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
I will grab 4 jugs at a time of the castrol high mileage for my wife's car when it's on sale, otherwise it just gets the regular stuff. It's a '03 Cavalier, 157k miles. Does it help or not, I don't know? I do know it doesn't cost any extra when it's on sale and the engine is in good shape, on the last oil change it had it's first leak and that was some weeping out of the axle seal in the trans, not engine oil. I still always get close enough to 4L of oil draining out that I've never even bothered to check the oil between changes.

As far as paying for oil changes, that sucks, it's not a difficult job but I can appreciate what it means to not have a place to do it. If you have a car guy friend with a place to work on stuff it would be worth doing yourself. It's rewarding and it gives you the opportunity to get in there and inspect the engine & underbody and hopefully find problems while they're still a maintenance issue and not a break-down. Good chance to hang out with a buddy and talk trucks/cars too. If not though, while it sucks to pay too much it's more important that it's done competently. It's a simple job but when done carelessly very bad things can happen to your engine.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
It is difficult for people without garages or strict landlords to perform oil change.
Use Mobil 1 and follow your owner manual's OCI and you will be good.
I wasn't criticizing for not performing his own oil changes. I didn't do my own until I got my truck (10 years of driving). Just saying that it is a rip-off, so that kind of price doesn't surprise me, and it doesn't sound like much more than a full synthetic oil change performed at a business.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
I still always get close enough to 4L of oil draining out that I've never even bothered to check the oil between changes.
Wow, I have never heard of that before. How long have you been doing that?