Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a basic chip that will run our engines lean(er)?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
cliffhucker is on a distinguished road

Name: sam
cliffhucker's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a basic chip that will run our engines lean(er)?

I keep hearing that our trucks run rich, meaning they inject more fuel than is necessary. I am aware of the URD computer modules which manually allow you to specify fuel mix etc. but what if all I want to do is lean out the fuel/air mix to run most efficiently fro mpg? Is there a RELIABLE chip or something that will lean it out a bit? I've also heard that messing with the fuel/air ratio will mess things up when dealing with altitude but it seems to me that if the ratio is just lowered then it would do fine. Our current ECU has a set ratio, and doesn't have issues with altitude changes, as long as the ratio remains constant.

I fully expect to hear "if you wanted gas mileage why did you buy a truck?" However, I love and need my truck, and I am willing to pay the price for the gas it sucks, but I am still interested in getting the most out of it.

I recently added a TRD cat-back exhaust, afe pro-dry filter, and an ecosystems fuel enhancer, all the while driving super conservative and going easy on the gas. I've noticed a legitimate power increase and throttle response, and I have gotten my mpg up to about 23 mpg (just highway). 21 going 80mph on highway and some in town driving and towing a snowmobile.

By all means this is great, but I would love to go for a bit more. Are there any options (chips) available that don't require a dyno test and all that jazz, just something simple to lean it out.

Thanks, and I've been searching for this a while... But If there is another thread feel free to direct me to it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Our trucks run fine. They run rich when you add a Volant intake because the air tube is smaller than stock.

PS- That fuel enhancer you bought is nothing more than junk.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Our trucks run fine. They run rich when you add a Volant intake because the air tube is smaller than stock.

PS- That fuel enhancer you bought is nothing more than junk.
I thought the Volant made it run "lean" not rich? No?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
These things have closed-loop engine management that's optimized for lean burning... for pollution control. If you DO somehow manage to make it run leaner you're gonna do damage to the engine.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
These things have closed-loop engine management that's optimized for lean burning... for pollution control. If you DO somehow manage to make it run leaner you're gonna do damage to the engine.
Yes I know that, but I have read more then once that the Volant CAI makes the 1GR's run lean, meaning it doesnt get enough fuel and to much air for a ideal a/f. Thats what I have read all though I have seen no proof. Just makeing sure that no one gets the wrong info because I have heard it was lean, not rich.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It is programmed to run properly. When you screw with the mix, you f stuff up. Too lean and you run hot, as well as throw codes for cat and fuel mix.
The mix is not too rich, it's just rich enough to keep the cat burning excess fuel. Compare it to an old Jon-e handwarmer. It only took an ounce of naptha to keep it hot for eight hours. Between the exhaust heat and unburned fuel, it won't take much to keep it hot.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Rich because the small tube increases air velocity. Now the MAF thinks there is more air going in so it adds more fuel when really the same amount of air is going in.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
White Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Rich because the small tube increases air velocity. Now the MAF thinks there is more air going in so it adds more fuel when really the same amount of air is going in.
Okay that makes since. I guess where I read it from was wrong.