Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive shaft bolt re-torque

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Homersimpson2 is on a distinguished road
Homersimpson2's Tacoma Gallery
Drive shaft bolt re-torque

The Tacoma maintenance guide says that drive shaft bolt needs to be re-torqued at 30K miles

I've owned probably 6 different rear-wheel drive vehicles (trucks and non-trucks -- Toyota and non-Toyota) and I have never seen this requirement before.

Is it really necessary? Is it just a way to get me into my dealer's service dept.?

One note: I tow a boat twice a year...probably no longer than a total of 40 miles....

Thanks !
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Might be a good idea to re-torque them anyway. I have found little things on mine that I am glad I found early, for example little to no grease in my U-joints.
I am goint to check mine today when I change the oil in my transfer case.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
I never thought of this. What is the torque specs exactly?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I believe it's 65 ft lbs. rear shaft and 54ft lbs front shaft
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I believe it's 65 ft lbs. rear shaft and 54ft lbs front shaft

Correct. I have checked mine once since I've owned the vehicle, after a lot of wheeling the piss out of it, and they were still torqued at or beyond spec.

I think this is something that's rarely ever an issue in any way.