LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Different country...different design for the same basic truck...why?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #21
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
To the OP, I'm sure Toyota has extensive research to support the design of the Aussie Hilux. And they know that Australians are smart enough to not have a vendetta against diesel vehicles.

We get the "macho" Tacoma because Americans are "macho" and the majority of Tacoma buyers (few of which are represented on TW) probably still associate "diesel" with that dump truck you followed home that left you in a cloud of black soot.

Unfortunately, the discussion continues on diesel. The thing that no one seems to realize is that even if every single TW, Toyotanation, TTORA, FJCruiserForums, YOTATECH, etc. member signed a contract saying they'd purchase a diesel Tacoma as soon as Toyota made one - it still would not be enough to make it worthwhile for the company. And they obviously believe, the majority of their audience do not have an interest in diesel for this size vehicle.
Diesel is not the point. I completely understand the diesel concept because of high fuel prices relative to the US. We don't pay jack for fuel compared to most of the rest of the world. The US automakers briefly tried diesel back during the 70's "oil crisis"..It fell flat as soon as gas went down a little and the same would happen again. I would buy a diesel (almost bought a TDI VW for the wife) but found the premium price for a diesel is not amortized by the fuel savings at $4 gasoline for the miles we drive. People in this country forget about MPG as soon as fuel drops below $3..Then there are all those signs with diesel costing far more per gallon...psychological barrier

The design is what I wonder about. Who does the research and decides the "sloped" front is what Aussies want? I am not making a judgement call on Aussies "tastes", more about Toyota's research into those tastes.

The America's Taco look's more "muscular" meh....That's opinion. It's simply amazing to me the research and marketing teams are able to look at a population of buyers in countries and decide what they will like and build the same truck in two very different wrappers for different cultures.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #22
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You Americans like the crappy 3 leaf pack stock ....
Ease up on the broad strokes....I hate my 3 leaf pack, and will be paying money to fix it...missed TSB eligibility by 3 mos!!

Quote:
....g'dayTrac
I don't care who you are...that's funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
I WANT A DIESEL TACOMA!....
x10 .... I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!!

Quote:
To the OP, I'm sure Toyota has extensive research to support the design of the Aussie Hilux. And they know that Australians are smart enough to not have a vendetta against diesel vehicles.

We get the "macho" Tacoma because Americans are "macho" and the majority of Tacoma buyers (few of which are represented on TW) probably still associate "diesel" with that dump truck you followed home that left you in a cloud of black soot.

Unfortunately, the discussion continues on diesel. The thing that no one seems to realize is that even if every single TW, Toyotanation, TTORA, FJCruiserForums, YOTATECH, etc. member signed a contract saying they'd purchase a diesel Tacoma as soon as Toyota made one - it still would not be enough to make it worthwhile for the company. And they obviously believe, the majority of their audience do not have an interest in diesel for this size vehicle.
Valid points....and too bad....

With the direction fuel costs are going, I don't how much longer the "macho" thing can last...kind of like the old "more money than common sense" or my personal favorite "educated beyond their intelligence." Not sure that second one applies in context...but it's still one of my favorites.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
I completely understand the diesel concept because of high fuel prices relative to the US. We don;t pay jack for fuel compared to most of the rest of the world. The US automakers briefly tried diesel back during the 70's "oil crisis"..It fell flat as soon as gas went down a little and the same would happen again. I would buy a diesel (almost bought a TDI VW for the wife) but found the premium price for a diesel is not amortized by the fuel savings at $4 gasoline for the miles we drive.

The design is what I wonder about. Who does the research and decides the "sloped" front is what Aussies want? I am not making a judgement call on Aussies "tastes", more about Toyota's research into those tastes.

The America's Taco look's more "muscular" meh....That's opinion. It's simply amazing to me the research and marketing teams are able to look at a population of buyers in countries and decide what they will like and build the same truck in two very different wrappers for different cultures.
The sloped front gives them front visibility over their ARB bumpers .
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The sloped front gives them front visibility over their ARB bumpers .
LOL I see nothing in the design that is related to having a diesel engine.....Just a whole different wrapper. Are the American/Canadian Tacoma's really THAT ugly to Aussies? and the Mexicans? IS America and Canada the only places with our design?

A vast majority of Americans would not buy diesel, especially when you have an administration shitting all over fossil fuels and pushing Duracell engines...unless of course some Hollywood stars started driving diesels....
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IS America and Canada the only places with our design?
Yes , unless they are sold in Mexico as well .
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about them Icelander dudes?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
The question was answered in the first post; Tacoma looks beefier.
And if you are going to pay all the money to have them built here, might as change the wrapper to something that is going to appeal to the local market.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #28

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
What about them Icelander dudes?
They get the Tacoma as well don't they .

I would say it's a greater NAFTA area
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #29
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am pretty sure diesel is related to emission standards that are higher in US then anywhere else on the planet (thank California for that and liberals )
Tacoma is not full size so it has different emission standard then lets say F-150
So no Diesel because I am pretty sure nobody would be happy with 90-110 HP engine in 4000 LB truck.
Also I am pretty sure majority people would complain about ride quality in those trucks. European Hilux rides like a ..dump truck 2gen rides like limousine things like A/C, CD, power windows/locks are extra and expensive. To make simpler consumers in US market are spoiled (I know I am )
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #30
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL I see nothing in the design that is related to having a diesel engine.....Just a whole different wrapper. Are the American/Canadian Tacoma's really THAT ugly to Aussies? and the Mexicans? IS America and Canada the only places with our design?

A vast majority of Americans would not buy diesel, especially when you have an administration shitting all over fossil fuels and pushing Duracell engines...unless of course some Hollywood stars started driving diesels....
Actually I know for the fact that many of my friends in Europe love the look of 2gen. And there are many imported there already. Grass is always greener on the other side
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #31
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes , that and g'dayTrac
That is indeed the common name 'down under' for Aussie Trac (A-TRAC)... ARB Corp. spends billions convincing the average buyer in Australia, that lockers are still better! The Hilux and Prada drivers know better!

G'day OZ-T
Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #32
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I am pretty sure diesel is related to emission standards that are higher in US then anywhere else on the planet (thank California for that and liberals )
Tacoma is not full size so it has different emission standard then lets say F-150
So no Diesel because I am pretty sure nobody would be happy with 90-110 HP engine in 4000 LB truck.
Also I am pretty sure majority people would complain about ride quality in those trucks. European Hilux rides like a ..dump truck 2gen rides like limousine things like A/C, CD, power windows/locks are extra and expensive. To make simpler consumers in US market are spoiled (I know I am )
HP is meaningless...it's all about the torque. They could easily produce a small diesel motor that made 120-150 HP and 250+ ft. lbs. of torque. And it would get 30+ MPG's if geared properly.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #33
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HP is meaningless...it's all about the torque. They could easily produce a small diesel motor that made 120-150 HP and 250+ ft. lbs. of torque. And it would get 30+ MPG's if geared properly.
^^^This is what I want. Make it Toyota!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #34
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tacos are sold in the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica oddly enough. Mexico and CR only get 4 door TRD sports
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #35
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Could not have said it better. Oh and here we also have the typical ''it won't start during winter'' against diesels.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #36
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Saying the tacoma and hilux are the same truck is like saying the 4 runner and fj cruiser are the same truck. They are totally different with some common parts.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #37
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Correction;

from the site, the 3.0 diesel engine has 169HP/253LB-FT TQ.

Which is way... way better than our GAS 2.7.

And a combined fuel economy of 9.3L/100 KM for the 4x4
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #38
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Saying the tacoma and hilux are the same truck is like saying the 4 runner and fj cruiser are the same truck. They are totally different with some common parts.
doesn't the hilux have a 1 ton rating? compared to our 1/2 ton

That'd mean a lot of differences in frame, axle, etc.

It's sad to me that no-one makes a small pickup in the US anymore... especially one that gets good MPG like the old Toyota trucks used to even while being beat on.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #39
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Not again.......

x2

I would love a diesel tacoma!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #40
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I would love a diesel tacoma!!!
then change your congressman