Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Different country...different design for the same basic truck...why?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Different country...different design for the same basic truck...why?

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/explo...T.ac=HiluxHPIG

The Hilux is basically Australia's Tacoma. (Although looking more like the new Ranger) Why go through the trouble of having completely different designs and tooling for different places. Seems to me economy of scale has to come into play. The "Americas" Tacoma looks beefier, but I cannot think that would be a reason to apply different designs from a completely aesthetic standpoint.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
People in different countries like different things. I'm sure Aussies think our Tacomas look like shit. It is what it is.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
I WANT A DIESEL TACOMA!

Damn Hilux.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
hilux is awesome..i'd have one over a tacoma if i could get one
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You Americans like the crappy 3 leaf pack stock , who's to question the Aussie's tastes ?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
What we don't have we make.
Norcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
Norcan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
I WANT A DIESEL TACOMA!

Damn Hilux.
I'm with you brother!!! Turbo Diesel with a functional hood scoop! Also 6 Speed manual with a long box.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You Americans like the crappy 3 leaf pack stock , who's to question the Aussie's tastes ?

I wonder if the last V8 interceptor had the rear leaf TSB done to it. In the movie it didn't look like it did because of all the wheel hop during braking.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I wonder if the last V8 interceptor had the rear leaf TSB done to it. In the movie it didn't look like it did because of all the wheel hop during braking.
Actually , when it is upside down after Wez forces Max of the road , I believe you can see that he has the Dakars installed , probably to help carry the weight of his 2 oversized fuel tanks .
Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Actually , when it is upside down after Wez forces Max of the road , I believe you can see that he has the Dakars installed , probably to help carry the weight of his 2 oversized fuel tanks .
I'll have to watch it again.

Are the 2 fuel tanks part of the Aussie Rugged Trail package?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'll have to watch it again.

Are the 2 fuel tanks part of the Aussie Rugged Trail package?
Yes , that and g'dayTrac
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
I WANT A DIESEL TACOMA!

Damn Hilux.
amen!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Maybe. But nearly as impressive as the vaunted Flight of the Navigator package.
That is an awesome package. It has Peewee's voice navigation installed.

Quote:
Yes , that and g'dayTrac
Lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
i like the bed bars that come stock on the sr5, otherwise ill stick with le taco
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP, I'm sure Toyota has extensive research to support the design of the Aussie Hilux. And they know that Australians are smart enough to not have a vendetta against diesel vehicles.

We get the "macho" Tacoma because Americans are "macho" and the majority of Tacoma buyers (few of which are represented on TW) probably still associate "diesel" with that dump truck you followed home that left you in a cloud of black soot.

Unfortunately, the discussion continues on diesel. The thing that no one seems to realize is that even if every single TW, Toyotanation, TTORA, FJCruiserForums, YOTATECH, etc. member signed a contract saying they'd purchase a diesel Tacoma as soon as Toyota made one - it still would not be enough to make it worthwhile for the company. And they obviously believe, the majority of their audience do not have an interest in diesel for this size vehicle.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post

We get the "macho" Tacoma because Americans are "macho"

Lol
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol
I'm being sarcastic, of course.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
I was in mexico not that long ago and they also have the helux truck.. Looks ok. i still like my taco better..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Banned
Hilux.