Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tube Steps or Running Boards?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Tube Steps or Running Boards?

I'm in the market for either OEM tube steps or OEM running boards. My dilema is that although I like the tube steps, the OEMs are silver. The black running boards would offer nice contrast but plastic is not my first choice. My taco is Desert Sand Mica and the silver may not offer enough contrast. FWIW, I don't want to buy and then paint the tubes. Thoughts?

BTW, anyone have a pic of that configuration so I can see the contrast-the Toyota accessories manual only shows a dark truck with them.

I have looked at some pics of aftermarket tubes but the OEM look wider which I like.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Black Airel Nerf Bars FTMFW
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I like my chrome 5" wide tube steps. Wanted nerf bars, but wanted a wider step for my dogs to be able to use. I got the toyota oem version of these.

http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com...2005-2008.aspx

I like'em because I have a chrome & black theme on my red toy... They also make them in an all black version if that's the way you want to go.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Consider the Nfabs. I should've bought them in the first place.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
is there a site besides the nfab one that actually shows the exact part your buying?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Impulsered2008,

Those in th link you posted are pretty pricey, how much did you pay for the OEM version?

Below are the two I was originally considering. Would be nice to see a light tan truck with the silver aluminum tubes.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-PT212-35055.aspx?MakeID=1
http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-00012-A....aspx?MakeID=1
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
[quote=grivera;188217]Impulsered2008,

Those in th link you posted are pretty pricey, how much did you pay for the OEM version?

Below are the two I was originally considering. Would be nice to see a light tan truck with the silver aluminum tubes.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-00012-A...D=1[/quote]

grivera,

I paid $400 including shipping for the oem version. At the time, those (at runningboardwarehouse) were under $300. I thought the oem version was a solid oval piece - but come to find out, they were the same, except for the marking on the step pad.

I didn't go for some of the other kinds since they are made of plastic and I didn't want plastic -- I wanted stainless steel -- and I also wanted the wider step, so.....

You are lucky you have found this site - wish I had earlier to ask the questions I had (and I'm sure I will in the future).
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Consider the Nfabs. I should've bought them in the first place.
Do you have a link to the actual tubes you're referring to?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=ImpulseRed008;188241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Impulsered2008,

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-00012-A0573-13.aspx?MakeID=1[/quote]

grivera,

I paid $400 including shipping for the oem version. At the time, those (at runningboardwarehouse) were under $300. I thought the oem version was a solid oval piece - but come to find out, they were the same, except for the marking on the step pad.

I didn't go for some of the other kinds since they are made of plastic and I didn't want plastic -- I wanted stainless steel -- and I also wanted the wider step, so.....

You are lucky you have found this site - wish I had earlier to ask the questions I had (and I'm sure I will in the future).

Do you have a part number for the ones you bought? Th toyota accessories brochure I have only shows the two choices I posted in the links.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
[quote=grivera;188745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post

Do you have a part number for the ones you bought? Th toyota accessories brochure I have only shows the two choices I posted in the links.
The part number is 00016-35204 Stainless Steel Step Board I bought mine off of ebay. It's been more than 90 days so I can't see the item.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/banzaistuff05

this is where I bought mine - check with him and see if can get you some
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
bounrith is on a distinguished road
bounrith's Tacoma Gallery
Between tube step and running board, I heard from someone that running board will collect more dirt than tube step.

What kind of tube step to buy, IMO, depends largely on the color of your Taco. You can get away with OEM part if you have a silver Taco, but if you have some other color...you got to go with a chrome or black nerf bar.

Of course a nerf bar is part of your overall color theme...so think about your future projects.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounrith View Post
Between tube step and running board, I heard from someone that running board will collect more dirt than tube step.

What kind of tube step to buy, IMO, depends largely on the color of your Taco. You can get away with OEM part if you have a silver Taco, but if you have some other color...you got to go with a chrome or black nerf bar.

Of course a nerf bar is part of your overall color theme...so think about your future projects.
I think your right. Right now I'm leaning toward the stainless steel nerf bars in this link (except for double cab).

The running boards seem better suited for an SUV.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah what he said. I support them all. At least your less likely to get door dings from a heavy set lady trying to get in her car when parking spaces are small. It's a win win situation.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Yeah what he said. I support them all. At least your less likely to get door dings from a heavy set lady trying to get in her car when parking spaces are small. It's a win win situation.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a heavy set lady... I've seen people of all ages and sizes just swing their door wide open, not paying attention to how close the neighboring car is. Especially those old retired officers who don't park in the center of their space. Even when I'm standing there and wham right into my vehicle - then they cop an attitude like it's my fault.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
09tacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i got these http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-S...3184&t_pl=5858
134 sent to the store a few miles from my house. They should be in next week a full week before my truck gets here
Old 10-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
sport09 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
sport09's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Step Tube Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
I like my chrome 5" wide tube steps. Wanted nerf bars, but wanted a wider step for my dogs to be able to use. I got the toyota oem version of these.

I like'em because I have a chrome & black theme on my red toy... They also make them in an all black version if that's the way you want to go.
You say that the Step Tubes pictures are OEM. Do they look like the OEm ones. The ones in the picture do not look like the OEM Toyotas. I want to get the Toyota Step Tubes but I want them in Chrome. Do you have any pictures of the Tubes on the truck? Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I like the N-fabs, Go Rhino dominatorII, and Predator.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport09 View Post
You say that the Step Tubes pictures are OEM. Do they look like the OEm ones. The ones in the picture do not look like the OEM Toyotas. I want to get the Toyota Step Tubes but I want them in Chrome. Do you have any pictures of the Tubes on the truck? Thanks
The ones from running board warehouse are not OEM, but they look like them except for the pattern on the black step pad. I could not find a picture of the oem to show him. I will take a picture of my oem boards tomorrow. I just checked my pictures but cannot find a good one of them.