Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Urgent: Cargo capacity question

Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
seligman will become famous soon enoughseligman will become famous soon enough
seligman's Tacoma Gallery
Urgent: Cargo capacity question

I'm supposed to pick up a pallet load today weighing 876 pounds. I have a 2007 Prerunner Access Cab without the TSB leaf spring fix. The pallet can be broken down (it's in boxes) with some weight moved to the cab. Can I do this is one trip? Reason I ask is because there's 15 miles of freeway to drive.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
I'm about 195 pounds. In your case, was the sand evenly distributed, causing it to bottom out?

If I get the pallet positioned forward of the rear axle, I think that's better, no?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't hurt the truck at all. Toyotat rates it at about 1100-1300 payload. Just be aware that you might be riding on your bump stops.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Truck capacity is rated at 1300 pounds.

My weight + pallet = 1071 pounds.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seligman View Post
Truck capacity is rated at 1300 pounds.

My weight + pallet = 1071 pounds.
You should be fine. If it was me I would just load it all in the bed. IDK abou other but I hate the smell of cardboard, especially the chinese stuff.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Let's say a load is riding on the bump stops. Beyond that, how do you know a truck is overloaded?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #7

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
If you over load a truck you will see part wear out quicker, the handling will go to shit. My dad has an 03 ford expedition and we loaded a bunch of stuff (probably over 1000 lb) in to it (behind front two seats and back) it sat really nose high and the steering became really loose and scared the shit out of me driving on the freeway.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
If you over load a truck you will see part wear out quicker, the handling will go to shit. My dad has an 03 ford expedition and we loaded a bunch of stuff (probably over 1000 lb) in to it (behind front two seats and back) it sat really nose high and the steering became really loose and scared the shit out of me driving on the freeway.
I was talking short term. As in, how do you know a truck is too overloaded to drive safely?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you'll be fine. A few miles at 300 lbs under capacity isn't going to cause any damage. I had about 500 lbs in the back of my truck for ten hours with no issues. Sure the bed will sag for you, but it will go back into place after the load is removed. It isn't like you're doing this daily...
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking3002 View Post
OP, you'll be fine. A few miles at 300 lbs under capacity isn't going to cause any damage. I had about 500 lbs in the back of my truck for ten hours with no issues. Sure the bed will sag for you, but it will go back into place after the load is removed. It isn't like you're doing this daily...
Thanks...

I broke a leaf spring once (different vehicle) so I'm extra cautious ever since.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #11

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seligman View Post
I was talking short term. As in, how do you know a truck is too overloaded to drive safely?
The experience with the suv I posted. The truck will handle bad, steering will get squirly (sp?), it will scare the shit out of most people driving overloaded. If your 100lb overloaded I would worry if its a one time deal going a short distance.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
iowa530 will become famous soon enoughiowa530 will become famous soon enough
iowa530's Tacoma Gallery
I loaded about 900 lb of mulch into my DC last year. It was on the bump stops and felt terrible to drive. I only had to go about 1.5 mi. I felt like the truck should have handled it better, since that is below its rated capacity. I've wondered if this is an arguement for getting the rear TSB.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa530 View Post
I loaded about 900 lb of mulch into my DC last year. It was on the bump stops and felt terrible to drive. I only had to go about 1.5 mi. I felt like the truck should have handled it better, since that is below its rated capacity. I've wondered if this is an arguement for getting the rear TSB.
Uhm yes. It bottoms out and rides "harsh" with a load under max. Totally a reason to get the TSB.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
DocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1st 145th FA
Name: David
DocCisco's Tacoma Gallery
Last weekend I had a 900 lbs. tree stump in the bed from Sat afternoon to Mon morning. The dump was closed until Monday morning. Bed was fine, bumpers showed some rubbing on the frame but the suspension bounced right back. I have a 3-leaf stock suspension.

Before:

After:

And yes, that's me smiling in the cab of the loader.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, mine bottomed out consistently with 300lbs in the bed. Can't get TSB? AAL!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti dip the bed. That gives it a couple of hundred more pounds of holding capacity!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #17
Everything went fine the other day. I moved about 250 pounds to the cab, so the bed had 625 pounds -- on a pallet, forward of the rear axle.

To be honest, ride quality was great. Much better than an empty bed. It didn't bottom out on the bump stops.
Acceleration was slower and braking not as good, but that's to be expected.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #18

OP, I knew you'd be fine. It seems to me that more dbl cab people have issues than the access cab guys. Maybe I'll open a poll about it...

Also, it seems like its guys that have 400 plus pounds (ATVs/bikes) in the bed for hours at a time on the weekends that end up really needing the TSB for the rear leafs. Not saying that as a negative about them, they are using their truck in a manner it should be able to easily handle, and Toyota just screwed up on the leafs.