1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 tacoma stiff automatic gear shifter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jamie R. Cherry, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Still NO more sticky shifter.... I think I solved the issue...

Over

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    topper

topper Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    air bag rear suspension, 2.5" suspension lift: Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear, eibach front spring, extra leaf for the rear
    So, I disconnected the cable, it wasn't it, neutral start switch is good to go as well. Tried to move the lever on the tranny, stiff as hell, barely managed to move it into park. What does that mean? Do I need a new tranny? It still shifts properly when on the highway.

3. Mar 31, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    This means you have corrosion on the transmission lever . Easy fix !! blast some lubricant at that shaft that goes into the transmission . You may have to unloosen the PRNDL switch and back it off enough to spray lubricant at the small seal .The trick is to get lubricant behind that seal . Take a small screwdriver and pry against the seal as you are spraying so lube goes into the selector shaft . Work it back and forth by hand until it loosens up . Your going to go through 1/2 a can of spray but it will free up

4. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    topper

topper Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    air bag rear suspension, 2.5" suspension lift: Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear, eibach front spring, extra leaf for the rear
    Thanks gearcruncher. The PRNDL switch is probably the neutral start switch on a automatic is it not? And if it is than its on the passenger side of the tranny, and the shaft is on the driver side. Do I need to loosen it up? What kind of lube do u recommend?

5. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Yup , your issue is the lever shaft . Call it the neutral safety switch or the PRNDL switch, thats what it is .
    You can leave the switch bolted up but your gonna go through all kinds of lubricant . If you unbolt the switch and carefully using a small screwdriver to pry the seal open enough to blast any kinda of lube in there ,its going to free up . You will know that its had enough fluid because it will eventually move easy with your hand .
    Scroll down to page 16 showing the switch . You want to spray behind that switch .
    http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf
    If you go back a few posts in this thread , its explained in detail how to lube the selector shaft and make adjustments if needed .
    Some guys get lucky and blast fluid at the back of the switch from the engine compartment because its easy to see when the hood is open and you dont feel like crawling under the truck

MTopp likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    TDHofstetter

TDHofstetter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Bradford, VT
    Color-matched Leer cap
    NICE! I wish I'd had that PDF about two years ago...! :)

7. Apr 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    sub'd; thanks

8. Apr 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    topper

topper Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    So I finally got this thing fixed!!! I think it was a combination of all the little problems but the main fault was the neutral start switch. The mechanic had to cut it out. I had a spare one and after lubbing the shaft and replacing everything, all is like new. Thanks to all for your input.

MTopp likes this.
  9. Apr 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    topper

topper Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    image.jpg

MTopp likes this.
  10. Sep 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    My problem is back....now I got a P0705 code and read some more here.... The damned switch that is giving me grief is on the RIGHT side of the tranny... I've been spraying, etc on the LEFT side.... I'll check that tomorrow...

Thanx for all your info fellas...

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    WRONG..!!... The ole "sticky shifter" reappeared last week, but this time the service engine light came on, so I went straight to Toyota dealer and told him my PRNDL switch is likely acting up... sure enough... code P-0705.. A faulty park/neutral switch....

Had it changed today...it was all corroded on THE INSIDE of this white metal housing....

Part cost $451.00 $150.00 labour.... Dog Damn..!!!!

Had to do it or I'd be left out in the cold somewhere in January....!!
    This has been MY problem slowly creaping up on me for 2 years or so....

Finally fixed it...Looks like a real crappy piece of engineering (the park/neutral switch)..

12. Sep 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    lafc

lafc New Member

Member:
    Hello! Sorry for my bad English, i come from Québec City. I had the same issue with my taco 2005 V6 TRD sport. I check everything and all point to be the neutral switch (RNDL switch). I understand that the cable is connected to a shifter lever in the tranny on the left side (driver side) and the switch is located on the right side (passenger). Is that right??

If i'm right, i plan to do as mentionned gearcrusher and try to lub it by pressing the seal using a screwdriver. Did i need the remove the switch to do this ?? Because removing the switch will probably needed to be cutting out like the picture of Topper. The swicth seemed to be severly corroded. Thanks all for your help!!
    By the way, i by a new Taco 2014 with a lift kit and mickey Thompson tire the 05 will be on sale soon!!!

Christian

13. May 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    shootnscoot55

shootnscoot55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma
    None
    After suffering from the same issue on my '06 i followed some of the suggestions noted here. I used silicone spray on all of the components under the console, after using a shopvac to remove any pre-existing friction debris. Re assembled and all is well. Thanks for the info!!

Larzzzz, gearcruncher and MTopp like this.
  14. May 16, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    merwin61

merwin61 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Elm NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Having the same issue as a bunch of you. Though this time, I have it at the dealer for the second time and now they tell me it is the shifter cable and that it cost nearly $500.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Have as yet to get the truck back from them but that price is outrageous!!!!!!! FOR A FRIGGING CABLE !!! ?????

15. Nov 9, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    Greenqq1

Greenqq1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016Tacoma TRD
    Replaced Frame and leaf springs under recall in 2016. Steering rack replaced in June 2017.
    I started having the same problem this summer on my 06. Would come and go. Thanks for the tips in these posts.
    Bringing it in today to have them look at why the steering has suddenly gotten real stiff. Had new steering rack installed in May and got a new frame back in 2015.

Products Discussed in

To Top