Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering wheel shake

Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel shake

I made some videos of whats going on with my steering wheel. Its been going on for a a while now. I have had my tires balanced (twice actually) hoping that would solve the problem but it hasnt. I did accidentally go 10k miles without rotating them. That was taken care of last Saturday however. The shaking only happens between 45mph and 65mph.

http://www.vimeo.com/22729202
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
That's funny, mine just did the same thing for the first time the other day.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
ypu wouldnt happen to have mud or anything packed on the inside of your wheels do ya?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Bad Tires. Did you check the tread wear? My Camry and Tacoma had the same problem, all because of uneven tire wear. Check for saw-toothed wear pattern.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had the wheel shake when I first got my truck. I just put the 5100's on it at .85 up front and replaced the rear with 5100's as well. The has practically gone away, and I haven't gotten the tires balanced or the alignment done yet...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know if this is gonna be much help, as a matter of fact, I know its not any help...LOL...But this happens alot with the FJs, steering wheel shake which gets really bad with higher rated tires [i.e more plies]. Ive had the issue on my FJ for a while and Ive had them road forced about 4-5 times in the last 3 months and Ive never been able to get rid of it, only minimize it. Ive heard its just the delicateness of Toyota suspension but it all seems to be random explanation for a mysterious issue that no one can solve. In any case, check for mud like someone else mention, and maybe get them roadforced. Ive gone through about 10 tires on this FJ so tires are good, its def my vehicle. Good luck
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
ypu wouldnt happen to have mud or anything packed on the inside of your wheels do ya?
theres a good chance that I have mud everywhere...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I had the wheel shake when I first got my truck. I just put the 5100's on it at .85 up front and replaced the rear with 5100's as well. The has practically gone away, and I haven't gotten the tires balanced or the alignment done yet...
Thats another explanation someone has thrown out there as well, that is upgrading the suspension. Not sure how much itll work but if it works then cool. I plan on upgrading my FJ down the road so Im sure itll go away. For now though, Ive minimized it alot and kinda just forgot about it. Every now and then Ill think about it while im on the fwy and I get angry and frustrated, but then I forgot about it and the sun comes out and flowers bloom again.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plee33 View Post
Bad Tires. Did you check the tread wear? My Camry and Tacoma had the same problem, all because of uneven tire wear.
well my tires are in good shape, have at least 25k left in them. I did go a while with out rotating them though.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Thats another explanation someone has thrown out there as well, that is upgrading the suspension. Not sure how much itll work but if it works then cool. I plan on upgrading my FJ down the road so Im sure itll go away. For now though, Ive minimized it alot and kinda just forgot about it. Every now and then Ill think about it while im on the fwy and I get angry and frustrated, but then I forgot about it and the sun comes out and flowers bloom again.
I have a full ome suspension and the problem is only recent compared to when I put the lift/tires on
Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check for saw-toothed wear patterns.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
here's the other video thats finally done uploading
http://vimeo.com/22731250
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plee33 View Post
Did you check for saw-toothed wear patterns.
yeah, there doesnt appear to be any at all. That would be toe right? Would that be something that could cause this?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Well when I watched the video of you slowing down I thought you rotors might be warped but it does it when your accelerating so I don't think it could be that though.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
My Camry had saw-toothed wear and caused steering to shake. The reason behind it...bad struts. Your truck is too new for that kind of stuff. You need new tires. Steering shake discontinued after new tires on both my cars.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
Well when I watched the video of you slowing down I thought you rotors might be warped but it does it when your accelerating so I don't think it could be that though.
yeah I thought about that too since I'm getting close on them but its not only when braking.

plee33, I'm not dropping $1200 on new tires there has to be a fix for this.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
Fienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant future

Name: Hieu
Fienoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fienoma
i have the same issue as you..i can't explain whats causing it either.. it only happened after i lifted my truck to 2.5 billys and a AAL in the back and upgraded to 285's. My tires are brand new, balanced and just rotated at 5k.

Edit: I also have no mud even near my truck..and never have been in mud.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #18
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
The shaking is just going to continue to get more worst. It's gotta be your tires and you need to replace them. You can try to re-balance. Worst case, wheel bearing. From looking at your second video, this shake is really bad because it already begins to shake at 45.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I too was having steering wheel shake above 45mph & was told it was my stock crappy Dunlop tires. Yesterday I bought new Michelin tires. The tire shop discovered out of round stock rim which was on the right front. I now know why the wheel shake was not so bad at times because the tires were rotated every 5k miles. They balanced that tire as well as possible & put it on the back. My steering wheel shake went away, but now have driveline vibration. I will be replacing the tweaked rim very soon.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
where are you getting them balanced at?