Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just fixed driveline vibration!!!For free!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #321
draddots is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
draddots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
You're a 1st gen & your springs are eliptical (center offset) You can probably get by with dropping the Carrier..
Any idea how far I should drop my CB? Take the measurements and use those to adjust or do those less than 3* measurements not apply to the 1st Gens?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #322
Rez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rez's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't want to start a new thread..
Does anyone know the size and lenght of the CB bolts? I just made some spacer, need longer bolts.

Cheers,
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #323
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Since installing my 885s and aal, I've had a vibration at about 22-28 and again at about 55-60. Oddly enough when I got new tires my 55-60 went away. However, the 22-28 got worse. I've been dreading trying different combos for a solution. I read the op's post and thought, what the hell, worth a try right? 5 minutes later I road test it and BOOM. No more vibration!!! I'm so f-ing happy right now.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #324
Midship909 is on a distinguished road

Midship909's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Midship909
So getting a one piece driveshaft isnt necessary to lift are 2nd gen tacomas anymore?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #325
Rooster Feather is on a distinguished road
Rooster Feather's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #326
TacomaMatt is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
TacomaMatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacbmac View Post
After lifting my truck about 2" in the rear (over stock non-TSB) and adding 2.5" in the front, I had a bad driveline vibration. A shudder off the line and a varying mild to bad vibration 53-61 mph and again around 70 mph. I installed the 3 degree shims with lift in the rear, but had the above vibrations. I then tried dropping the carrier bearing 1/2", it didn't change much of anything. Then I removed the rear 3 degree shims. Vibration stayed but I got a low humm from the extreme u-joint angles at almost all speeds. After some thinking I picked up a degree finder to check actual angles of shafts and joints. I found the trans @ 1.7 deg. down, front shaft @ 8.7 deg down, rear shaft @ 8.7 deg down and pinion @ 4.8 deg. up with carrier shimmed down and no rear shims. After checking things over I realized Toyota engineers failed driveline 101. The ideal ujiont angle is less than 3 deg. so take the mating driveline angles and subtract to figure ujoint angle. The trans was much more even without dropping carrier and is'nt affected by lift.So long story short visit spicer site http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf. After some figuring I got mine closer to ideal without buying a thing, I found that the ring around the carrier bearing isn't concentric and if rotated 180 deg. it raises the carrier about 1/2". So I flipped the carrier bearing ditched the carrier spacer shims that I got with lift and have the rear 3 deg. shims on rear. Now pinion angle is close to first shaft angle per Dana/Spicer and all ujoint angles are very close or less than 3 deg. I still need to fab a trans. mount to lower the trans. a hair but all vibrations are gone. For any of you having a vibration problem give this a try who knows the select few that haven't had a problem may have had the bearing installed this way accidentally from the factory!
If I did this correctly the difference between the two angles is only 1 degree. Therefore I should have no vibration. The vibes aren't as bad as when I first lifted it but they are still slight. Will I create future problems if I don't eliminate the vibes I have now?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #327
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Someone help me solve my vibes!!! I have a 1 inch toytec block in rear and 5100s set at 1.75 in front. Take off vibes and bad vibes at 40-70. Only showed up after installing 1 inch block. Double checked U bolts and everything is tight

- See more at: http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200....hAPaROSK.dpuf

- See more at: http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200....eaukmcXV.dpuf

Stupid pictures aren't working but here is a link to pics of my angles measured with an angle finder off amazon
http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200...?sort=3&page=1
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #328
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Any advice??? If not I'm going to bit the bullet and order a Tom woods one piece double cardan
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #329

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
I tried 1/4 inch of washers to space the carrier bearing down and it didn't work. Flipped the carrier bearing 180 degrees that didn't work. Spaced the carrier bearing down 1/4 inch while flipped 180 degrees that didn't work. Since my piñon angle is at 3.5 I ordered 2 degree shims from toytec. Hopefully they will work. If not I'm going the Tom woods drive shaft route. If I still have vibes after that ill change out the blocks for an AAL without the 2 degree shims. Then maybe try the AAL with 2 degree shims and 1 piece double cardan drive shaft. If that doesn't fix my vibes I'm trading it in on a raptor. Have had vibes since 9 miles on odometer!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #330

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Any input?? Bump
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #331
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I fixed my driveline vibration a month ago: ujoint replacement.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #332
brochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
brochacho's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #333
tacomawhite is on a distinguished road
tacomawhite's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing. Also, the only other time I've had vibration is when my front u-joint went bad (it was obvious by amount of play).

I've got an 07 without TSB. Recently added 5100's and wheeler's 3 leaf prog. AAL. I just noticed a good bit of vibration and one common theme I've seen is that most vibrations start after either lifting the rear, whether it's TSB, AAL, or block. Since that significantly alters the angle of the rear driveshaft it certainly seems like that's the issue.

Given that the angles of the shafts/u-joints have been altered, could this also negatively affect the balancing of the two shafts?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #334
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
After getting a broken rear spring fixed and a leaf added to both sides, I am 2" higher. I had take off shudder and very noticeable vibes at 25-30mph. The CB looked to be crooked to the eye, so I moved it a bit to line it up square to the driveshaft and it definitely decreased the shudder/vibes greatly.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #335
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Just fixed driveline vibration!!! For free!
Quote:

I got the 3 deg. shims from toytech.
So Toytec gave you shims for free ?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #336
lgrafto1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lane Grafton
lgrafto1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
Someone help me solve my vibes!!! I have a 1 inch toytec block in rear and 5100s set at 1.75 in front. Take off vibes and bad vibes at 40-70. Only showed up after installing 1 inch block. Double checked U bolts and everything is tight

- See more at: http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200....hAPaROSK.dpuf

- See more at: http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200....eaukmcXV.dpuf

Stupid pictures aren't working but here is a link to pics of my angles measured with an angle finder off amazon
http://s182.photobucket.com/user/200...?sort=3&page=1

Remeasure:

Should be something like this:

TC: zero
1st shaft 3.3 ish
2nd shaft 3.7 ish
Pinion: zero ish

In other words, your drive shaft should be straight and the tC and pinion are mirror angles like a parralogram .
Use flat bar on the flange and stick the angle finder to it. You have the angle finder rotated. Practice to get concept before you go under truck.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #337
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread bump !! No matter, look guys this is all i can tell you , I've done close to 100 lifts 75% have been 2nd gens,out of all of those I've had maybe 3 that developed vibes & 1 of them was mine, before you get yourselves wrapped up with shimming the axle try dropping the center/carrier bearing 3/4" no more no less, you can even flip the carrier, but do these things before you start with shimms, its a hell of alot easier, also make sure you lube everything up proper too....
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #338
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #339
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Give your truck a female name. These trucks have proven that's where that came from. They are so sensitive to every minor change. I have slight take off vibe and I tried shimming the CB from 1/4-1". It changes it some but at 1/4 it is the least for me anyway. The front diff vibe is there (I have the ECGS bearing just haven't done it yet). The front has a very slight vibe from the overly sensitive balancing issue. I have gotten used to it's annoyances and learned to live with them - just like with my wife! I love her and I love my truck! They are not perfect - nor am I. Besides my Duratracs kind of drown all that out anyway. Good Luck trying to have a perfect Tacoma. Leave it bone stock and if your lucky you wont have any of these issues. Hopefully soon it won't be my daily driver, but she is a keeper cause she serves me well and has never let me down, and I ride her hard all the time.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #340
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I have tryed everything, and have gotten my vibes 80% gone. But that seems to be the best it will be. Im done trying to fix them and have desided to just get a double cardon one piece from a local shop here in portland. Six States driveline shop

Products Discussed in this Thread