Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just fixed driveline vibration!!!For free!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
hvacbmac has a spectacular aura abouthvacbmac has a spectacular aura abouthvacbmac has a spectacular aura about
hvacbmac's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Just fixed driveline vibration!!!For free!

After lifting my truck about 2" in the rear (over stock non-TSB) and adding 2.5" in the front, I had a bad driveline vibration. A shudder off the line and a varying mild to bad vibration 53-61 mph and again around 70 mph. I installed the 3 degree shims with lift in the rear, but had the above vibrations. I then tried dropping the carrier bearing 1/2", it didn't change much of anything. Then I removed the rear 3 degree shims. Vibration stayed but I got a low humm from the extreme u-joint angles at almost all speeds. After some thinking I picked up a degree finder to check actual angles of shafts and joints. I found the trans @ 1.7 deg. down, front shaft @ 8.7 deg down, rear shaft @ 8.7 deg down and pinion @ 4.8 deg. up with carrier shimmed down and no rear shims. After checking things over I realized Toyota engineers failed driveline 101. The ideal ujiont angle is less than 3 deg. so take the mating driveline angles and subtract to figure ujoint angle. The trans was much more even without dropping carrier and is'nt affected by lift.So long story short visit spicer site http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf. After some figuring I got mine closer to ideal without buying a thing, I found that the ring around the carrier bearing isn't concentric and if rotated 180 deg. it raises the carrier about 1/2". So I flipped the carrier bearing ditched the carrier spacer shims that I got with lift and have the rear 3 deg. shims on rear. Now pinion angle is close to first shaft angle per Dana/Spicer and all ujoint angles are very close or less than 3 deg. I still need to fab a trans. mount to lower the trans. a hair but all vibrations are gone. For any of you having a vibration problem give this a try who knows the select few that haven't had a problem may have had the bearing installed this way accidentally from the factory!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, like to see what others have to say here. May just have to try it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed.....even tho i have none of dem vibrations
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for future reference
Old 04-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blkbelt42's Tacoma Gallery
is this happening only on certain years or??
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
antatich is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Volunteer Police
Name: Tony
antatich's Tacoma Gallery
Finally somebody smarter than me has figured this out. I have all the same problems as you do with the same style lift and tried everything. Where did you get the shims?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
too broad to answer
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
hvacbmac has a spectacular aura abouthvacbmac has a spectacular aura abouthvacbmac has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by antatich View Post
Finally somebody smarter than me has figured this out. I have all the same problems as you do with the same style lift and tried everything. Where did you get the shims?
I got the 3 deg. shims from toytech.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
It seems to happen on a select bunch of the 2nd Gen. double cabs mostly, not aware of any reasons why some are affected more than others.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Just wanted to get a little bit deeper into the double shaft dana/spicer specs. On my double cab taco ideally the trans mount still should be lower than what I have done so far and after doing so the carrier bearing should be lowered slightly to make the angles all within dana/spicer specs. but for now I'm happy without major mods. And by the way I have had and loved many Toyotas, and have taken their share of abuse. But I thought it funny as i was staring the spicer sticker on the driveshaft in the eye that toyota can have a company manufacture a shaft for them but not get the angles to specs.!!! Many hours of their time and ours have been spent trying to cure vibration problems on these trucks and this seems to be only one of the causes depending on the truck.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. And this was with a 2" lift in the rear and 2.5" lift in front?

You raised the carrier bearing (by rotating it 180) and used the 3 degree shims in the rear... ...interesting.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Good job man. If I take the angles of mine, would be able to tell me what to do.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration Link

I started this when I purcahsed my 2011 Off Road. It seems that the vigration is not as bad now, and it is only at 60-65 mph. I am going to bring up your findings at my first dealer service.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-60-mph.html
Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
huh.... im ganna have to try this sometime.... I have a annoying vibe/shudder around 45-50mph... Its not that bad, but it can be annoying.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #19
Yep I have the rear spring TSB wich raises the rear a little over stock plus the rear add-a-leaf for the lift. Just got back home from a trip down I-5 and hit anywhere form 0-78 mph no driveline shake except for the slight shudder @ 0-7 mph that I need to work on w/ trans mount. Long road trips will be much better, hope this solves a few of your guys' problems!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacbmac View Post
After lifting my truck about 2" in the rear (over stock non-TSB) and adding 2.5" in the front, I had a bad driveline vibration. A shudder off the line and a varying mild to bad vibration 53-61 mph and again around 70 mph. I installed the 3 degree shims with lift in the rear, but had the above vibrations. I then tried dropping the carrier bearing 1/2", it didn't change much of anything. Then I removed the rear 3 degree shims. Vibration stayed but I got a low humm from the extreme u-joint angles at almost all speeds. After some thinking I picked up a degree finder to check actual angles of shafts and joints. I found the trans @ 1.7 deg. down, front shaft @ 8.7 deg down, rear shaft @ 8.7 deg down and pinion @ 4.8 deg. up with carrier shimmed down and no rear shims. After checking things over I realized Toyota engineers failed driveline 101. The ideal ujiont angle is less than 3 deg. so take the mating driveline angles and subtract to figure ujoint angle. The trans was much more even without dropping carrier and is'nt affected by lift.So long story short visit spicer site http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf. After some figuring I got mine closer to ideal without buying a thing, I found that the ring around the carrier bearing isn't concentric and if rotated 180 deg. it raises the carrier about 1/2". So I flipped the carrier bearing ditched the carrier spacer shims that I got with lift and have the rear 3 deg. shims on rear. Now pinion angle is close to first shaft angle per Dana/Spicer and all ujoint angles are very close or less than 3 deg. I still need to fab a trans. mount to lower the trans. a hair but all vibrations are gone. For any of you having a vibration problem give this a try who knows the select few that haven't had a problem may have had the bearing installed this way accidentally from the factory!

Question for you. Did this noise occur above 45mph and would go away almost instantly after letting off the gas?

Products Discussed in this Thread