1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Impressive handling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nd, May 17, 2007.

1. May 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    For the first time yesterday i found a great trail. It's mostly dirt with very little mud. There is very little overhanging brush to scratch up my paint, and best of all, its long and VERY curvy. I popped her in four wheel drive and took off like a bat out of hell. I have the TRD so i knew my truck handled well but i had no idea just how well. I have stated in previous posts that i own an old beamer with bilstein sport suspension and it handles like a F1 car. having a car with bilstein is what attracted me to the TRD in the first place, i know from experience how good their suspension is. When you add 4 wheel drive into the equation the result is awesome! In 4 wheel drive my truck can take turns in loose dirt and gravel as fast as my beamer on a dry road. I was absolutely blown away. There was more than one instance when my stomach shot up into my throat and i knew i had pushed it too hard and my truck was gonna end up in a ditch, but she just stuck to the trail like glue and kept on goin'. I have never been in a truck with so little body roll in the turns but still has enough play to handle bumpy terrain at high speeds with no problem. To put it simply i'm amazed! There is really no point to this thread, i just wanted to express my extreme appreciation for what Toyota has done with their racing development models. I'm now curious to see how Xrunner owners and TRD sport owners like their trucks on the road. I'd like to hear any feedback from any other taco owners regarding their thoughts on their trucks handling abilities, on or off road.

2. May 27, 2007 at 5:17 PM
    billbob

billbob Member

Member:
    I don't have a trd model, just sr5. but i will say i am pleased with the handling for what it is. aside from saving money there, i was content without a trd model because about half of my driving is on poorly maintained dirt roads. every vehicle i've been in with sport suspension (granted, no trd tacomas) is terrible in deeply pot-holed or wash-boarded roads, especially concerning that rear-end drift on wash-board roads. anyway, without the trd my suspension is loose enough to keep the tires on the dirt. i'd be interested to see how the trd would do. and of course, the standard suspension is nothing special in most other driving conditions, especially on-road.

lastly, does anyone know if the only difference in trd suspension over stock is the shocks? or do they have differences elsewhere...springs, steering linkage bushings, etc? and do trd sport and trd off-road have the same suspensions?

3. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    krprice84

krprice84 Unforgivably right-wing

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco AC TRD OR Silver Streak, 04 Kawasaki Z1000
    Taco is mostly stock... for now
    TRD Sport is different from TRD offroad...

TRD Offroad would have handled the poorly maintained dirt roads much better (imo) than the SR5 or the TRD Sport.

TRD offroad comes with different shocks, springs, I believe a little lighter sway bars (??), and also comes with rear diff lock, rear 110 volt AC power outlet, color matched front lip, and a few other things I'm no doubt forgetting. I believe (but may be totally out to lunch) that you could not get the LSD option with the TRD OR, because the LSD would only fit in the housing on the non-electronic-locking diff.

TRD sport comes with some asthetic options, like color matched door handles and bumper, hood scoop, etc, and I believe comes with a traction control system of some kind? or is avail with it anyways. I think the suspension is tuned more for the road, and I'm not sure if it also uses bilstein shocks or not.

4. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Did we seriously just do this? A bump from a DECADE ago? Hold the fuck up, I gotta bail on my business trip and go study for a mid term before spring break...

CrashN'Burn, Shwaa, devkurf and 2 others like this.
  5. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    RISE MY PRECIOUS RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!

Maggot61 likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Maggot61

Maggot61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Sky Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0L
    "If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the fury road!"
  7. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    10 years of silence

:tumbleweed:

Maggot61 likes this.
  8. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    krprice84

krprice84 Unforgivably right-wing

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco AC TRD OR Silver Streak, 04 Kawasaki Z1000
    Taco is mostly stock... for now
    AHhhh hahaha... I thought I saw it said 2017!

!Dyslexia again strikes

Maggot61 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top