1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota investigator coming to look at my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 225nontypical, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    225nontypical

225nontypical [OP] ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    so i think i am getting feed a line of BS but here is what happened.
    my truck has 30,000 miles on it and i am trying to get some of the TSB's done before my warranty runs out.
    yesterday i dropped it off to get the oil changed, have them look at my truck to get a couple of the TSB's done. so i show up and handed them the print out for the leaf spring TSB and the intermediate steering shaft TSB. I was then told that a Toyota investigator would have to come out and test my truck to see if it had any "enough" of problem to be covered???? they wanted to know the exact weight at which the truck would sag and how rough the ride was. so i told them that when i load my quad in the back it happens, so the service manger googles my quad and it's weight so he can tell the investigator so he can use that weight in his test.

i am just in shock this is crazy, the last thing the service manager told me was out of the 19 truck they have had come in only 1 has been approved for the rear spring TSB!!!!!!!!!!!!
    them we started talking about the VSC going off and they guy blamed my wheels and tires????? he told me even if i get it re-calibrated again it would only make a small difference if any at all.

i am really starting to hate dealers and Toyota, but i love my truck (even with all of it's little problems.

OK rant over

OK just got a call all TSB's taken in for parts have been ordered and will be done once they receive the parts.

so i think i just found my new service dealership. funny thing i ask what the inspector said, the answer i got was he did not come out this time.

all i know is they are getting it done for me that is awesome.

2. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Find another dealer.

3. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The TSB isn't gauranteed. It's just a documented fix for people who complain about it.

If they give you crap, load your quad up and bring it back up there and take them for a ride. Or go find another dealer.

They try to avoid TSB work because the mechanics don't get paid as much money for warranty work and the service advisor doesn't make commission off of warranty work.

4. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    ^^This.

Just got mine completed 2 days ago. When I first CALLED, they said they would have to test it. When I placed my 505lb motorcycle in the bed, took photos, and headed to the dealership everything was quickly taken care of. Didn't even have to show the photos.

Load up the quad and take photos. Don't worry. Good luck!

5. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    i am on my 2nd one the first one told me it was all caused by my lift

6. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    trdr6

trdr6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road 4X4 Double Cab Magnetic Grey
    AFE Stage II Si CAI, Raptor Series Straight Chrome Step Bars
    ^ x2. I took mine in and asked for the leaf spring TSB to be done and they said OK. Picked it up the next day. Try all the dealers in your area. Good luck. You got a good lookin truck man.

7. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    whats up with the whole investigator deal? is that just a line of BS trying to get out of it???

8. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yup, find another dealer. That's asinine. They should be all over this as corporate is paying for the labor and parts. I had no problem doing it on mine in AZ, either Tacoma. Just point out the bump stop wear and that should be more than enough to convince them.

As for the VSC, I have heard that larger wheels and tires can confuse the system.... but to be honest mine appears to be working just fine with 285/75/R16's.

9. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    trdr6

trdr6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road 4X4 Double Cab Magnetic Grey
    AFE Stage II Si CAI, Raptor Series Straight Chrome Step Bars
    Oh yeah, call the corporate office. Another guy on here had a similar issue and called toyota's head office. Problem was taken care of immediately. He said the dealers attitude did a complete 180.

10. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    the thing is i have no problem taking it in with the quad in the back or them testing it, what i find odd is the whole investigator part and idea that he has turned down 18 out of 19 according to the dealer???
    have any of you ever even heard of a Toyota investigator coming out to test a truck before a TSB was approved?? i thought the dealers did the test and would recommend to fix or not?

11. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Its not bs, HOWEVER on a tsb they are required to return all parts to TOYOTA corporate to receive a refund. If they do not do this the dealership has to eat the cost of the parts and labor. Also if they send the parts back and they are considered to be just fine, then toyota can choose to not refund the dealership.

I would say go to a smaller dealership and have them do it. Then you should be fine.

12. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar

That sucks. My dealer actually asked me if I wanted mine done.

13. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    They all suck, Dealerships are all about the $$$And Toyota is not what it was ten ago,#1 in the world wont last long if head is not removed from ass soon. Hope toyota is reading this!! Jim

14. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This ^^^^

And ask your dealer why the Canadian trucks come stock with the TSB springs .

15. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    what kills me is look at the picture of my truck just with the cap it has the bro lean to it, that should say enough

16. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    The 18 out of 19 is BS for sure, like he's keeping an ongoing mental account of them all. They just make that shit up as they go along, just like I am with this post.

Mention the exact words "HARSH RIDE" for the spring TSB, that's what they must hear.

17. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    that is exactly what i told them but it did not really help. i am still waiting for a call to see what "the investigator" says,

18. Apr 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    The cap probably is the issue. They likely don't believe you take that off every weekend to go quadding. It is up to you to prove you have an issue.In most case just making a claim won't work... Prove the issue and it will get done. Or just buy a good airbag system and have the best of bother worlds.

Plus they can see the warranty is coming up and have to assume the truth in why you are all of a sudden wanting all these "TSBS" that may or may not be required.

19. Apr 22, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    mine is in getting the TSB today. I told him i was putting my bike inthe back it it was nearly bouncing off the bump stops. They didn't quesiton anything and are putting the new springs on.

20. Apr 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    I swear every dealership will try and pull this card

Products Discussed in

To Top