1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacoma - Feedback on Ride.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slidellkid, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    slidellkid

slidellkid [OP] Member

Member:
    I am very new to this forum and would like some feedback. I am considering a Tacoma. Most likely a 4x4 because my Ford wasn't and there were a few times I wish it had been. I am probably older than most of you guys at 49 years of age and comfort is important to these old bones. I am concerned that the drivers seat sits too low on the Tacoma and that driving, especially long drives, will be uncomfortable. Do you any of you fellas find the low seat height to be uncomfortable? If I bought one and found out I didn't like it is there anything that can be done to raise the seat height?

THANKS!

2. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Welcome you young whippersnapper ;). I have no problem with the low seat height, but I'm only 5'10" tall. On long trips I find the truck very comfortable.

3. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    JAB1962

JAB1962 Member

Member:
    DOVER DELAWARE
    Vehicle:
    2011 SPEEDWAY BLUE TACOMA SPORT DOUBLE CAB LB
    I am 49 as well I finally got used to the seat being low, its comfortable for me. I wish you could adjust the seat height but i have learned to live with it.

4. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    My wife & I drove ours about 4,000 miles over 17 days through the Southwest & we both found the seats & driving position very comfortable. I'm 5'10", wife 5'06". By the way, welcome young man, I'm 51.

5. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    I'm a bit older than you and I drove Fords for over twenty years before buying my first Tacoma. I remember that the Ford's seating is a little bit higher, but nothing drastically different than a Tacoma. I'd run out to the driveway and jump in my old Ford F150, but I'm 1200 miles from home with the Tacoma.

The 1200 mi. drive in the Tacoma was completed in 21 hours straight. I drive with the seat all the way back and the visibility over the hood and perceived legroom is better than my Ford's. The Tacoma ride was pretty comfortable, and though I haven't driven a late model F150 in a while, I can't believe that the Ford truck ride would be any better. My comparison is between the Tacoma's bucket seat and a cloth bench in the F150, so maybe someone with experience in Ford bucket seats will chime in. (Both trucks have suspensions stiffened from what was original.)

I don't really consider the Tacoma a super-comfortable long distance highway vehicle. It's a truck and I don't expect it to ride like a car. It works for a couple long distance trips a year, but if I was traveling cross country more than two or three times a year, I would probably look at something more in the crossover line. The wife's Explorer is a bit more plush and rides a bit nicer (softer) and we use it for trips pretty often. I sacrifice plushness every now and then because the Tacoma is a lot better looking and pleasurable to drive!

6. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    As the likely elder here (56), I believe if the seat were any higher I wouldn't be able to get throught the door opening. On top of that I am lifting the truck so at 5'10" I have to get my head through the door first with the rest of me following. Once in though, I find the seat to be quite comfortable.

7. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'm 5' 10" and at 32 I already have my share of back problems. I've never noticed the seat height being low. The most I've driven in this truck is 850 miles in one day. My back never got sore, it's the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. A four hour drive is nothing in this truck. I have a TRD so it's got the sport seats in it. The interior noise level is a little higher than I would like, but it is a truck and it's not terrible by any means.

8. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I actually think the seat height is about right or maybe a little too tall. I'm 6'5". I think the ride is great. Much better than my '99 tacoma

9. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    So you have not bought the truck yet?

For God's sake get the supercharged truck. Do it once; do it right. If you don't; don't say I didn't warn you.

Steve

10. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    I have heard people comment on the seat being low before. I'm not sure why anyone thinks it's low? Low compared to what? Seems perfect to me.

11. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Seat height is fine for my 55 y/o ass.

12. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    Umm feedback. Tires usually roll, not in all models however.

13. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Youngsters, I'm 65 and beat half to death from coming to a stop against immoveable objects too many times they don't have the most comfortable seats, OK, but there are a lot better ones out there that being said it's not a bad ride. I'm 6' and I find the seat hight to be fine.

14. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    welker

welker Well-Known Member

Member:
    la grange, missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 super white 4x4
    3" pro comp lift
    The seat was a little low for me. I like to sit up higher when i drive so i raised it just under an inch on the back mounting bolts. I used some washers to raise it up some. I sit at the height i want now while driving and i find it more comfortable. You can use different spacers and adjust the height some to see if you like it better and if not just take the spacers back out.

15. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    slidellkid

slidellkid [OP] Member

Member:
    Welker,

You probably just sold me on the Tacoma! If I can make slight adjustments to the seat level I don't think I will have any problems at all. Thanks to all for the replies. I have a Ford f150 that I dearly love and find it very comfortable. When I drove the Tacoma I felt the seat was lower. This past weekend I drove my wife's Lexus about 600 miles and the seats are lower than normal. I was a little uncomfortable on the way over but on the way back I seemed to get used to it.

STeves104x4,

Ok, I am all ears, tell me about the Supercharged Tacoma. Why do I need one? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Doesn't that model cost like 4k more?

16. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    welker

welker Well-Known Member

Member:
    la grange, missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 super white 4x4
    3" pro comp lift
    Good deal! You just need to get a couple longer bolts when you take the back ones out and put in however many washer (or whatever you want to use) you need to get the height you want. Very simple to do. Good luck with the new truck!

17. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    man. lots of old people in this thread.

18. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    kidding. stand-by for real response.

19. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    im 6'1 and 190lbs. Don't have a problem with the seats at all. I've sat on them for more than twelve hours and over 1000 mile drives. i guess the seat can be a little bit higher but it doesnt bother me.

welcome to the site sir.

20. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I'm 47 5'11" and have an '05 since new....have driven from Southern PA to Northern Maine without any problem .

Products Discussed in

To Top