LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help.. Is a 4 cyl a good idea?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #21
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't towed with my 5 lugger yet, but I have hauled well over 1000 lbs on multiple occasions without an issue. I just hauled a few hundred pounds of outdoor furniture to S.C. and got 30 MPG's on the trip. LOVE my 4 banger!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
jeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura about

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
I've never been a fan of Toyota 6 cylinders but 25 seems pretty high? Be patient and keep looking.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
swollen member
covefrog08 is on a distinguished road

covefrog08's Tacoma Gallery
Ilove my 4cyl and having a regular cab makes turning in tight trails so easy! I'm also a huge fan on and standard transmition with any engine but it's needed with the 4 cyl as mentioned above I hold gears longer then an auto would all the time. I am looking at regearing though because for me these new trucks are geared to high for the power. I am driving a base model o8 reg cab with no engine upgrades though so I'll get a few mods done and see.

Regardless of anything above though I LOVE MY TRUCK!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartage1 View Post
The original question had multiple facets...., but out of curiosity, what is a fair price for the 2011 Access Cab, SR5 with a 4cyl, 5 Spd (technically used with 1800 miles).

I am torn because I liked with the more powerful 6 (which I was happy with before), but could live with the 4 if the deal was right.

Nobody seems to be completely dissatisfied with either power plant, and I fully understand the power - v - economy arguments..., so I guess value is the underlying question....

That now becomes two-fold...
1) Price at time of purchase
2) Cost to operate ....

Buying used, options are limited so the market will play out based on availability, but based on some responses, the referenced 4 banger is way over priced???

Is it possible to get a new 6 for $25,000((or a new 4 for 21-22)..access cab 4wd).

Again, thanks in advance and sorry to ramble.., but my excitement to get another Tacoma is getting the best of me... The opinions are helpful, and the actual prices paid certainly give me better understanding of the market... Asking price is not market.., only what was actually paid..

-Matt
You said price and cost to operate.....

If it's truely a dollars and cents decision and you plan to run the truck into the ground, buy the low mileage four banger. I love my v6, but there's no doubt in my mind that the four cylinder engine in my company tacoma is lower maintenance and will probably last longer. But I try to live a little as well as be practical, so I bought the v6. I bought it used, so I'm not married to it, I don't have to keep it till it dies, someone will be willing to buy it from me for a reasonable price if I can no longer afford the gas.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #25
pyramid is on a distinguished road
pyramid's Tacoma Gallery
i certainly would'nt pay any extra or hold out for a 6, in fact i just did the exact oppisite when looking locally i could find all the 6 cyl soccermom loaded out trucks you could ask for but what i really wanted was a meat and potatoes truck with 3 options i refused to comprimise on. 4cyl, reg cab and 4x4 , i finally had to drive nearly 3 hrs to get it .its my 2nd tacoma the first was a 2wd prerunner ex cab automatic with 2.7 i pulled my allison craft all over the southeast loaded down with no problem ,this one dose great too but i do think the 1st one was geared a little lower , or maybe the manual gives me that illusion ,i had a 6cyl 4runner years ago and it seemed as if it always had some small issue ,fuel or elec,once the clutch pedal assbly went right through the fire wall ,it just lead me to shun the 6
Old 04-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
cartage1 will become famous soon enoughcartage1 will become famous soon enough
cartage1's Tacoma Gallery
My 6 had zero maint issues to 60k... Are there higher demand maint issues with the 6 that the 4 doesn't experience? I run a commercial fleet (class A tractors), so I can tell you all about Detroit-v-Cummins-Volvo, etc..., but is the 4 cyl toyo more dependable?

Thanks again for the replies..., and hopefully... I can soon change my profile from "former," to ......(new to me Tacoma..).

Take Care.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
mgs is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
mgs's Tacoma Gallery
get the 4 cylinder

The 4 cylinder not only gets better gas milage, but the maintenance is much less frequent and way less costly. I just purchsed a new 4 cylinder and after reading the owners manual, I was happy to learn that I made the correct choice. According to the manual, the 4 cylinder requires new spark plugs every 120,000 miles whereas the 6 cylinder requires new plugs every 30,000 miles! Also, another big thing is the 4 cylinder has automatic valve guide adjustment while the 6 cylinder requires ajustment every 60.000 miles. The is a very costly procedure usually costing several hundred dollars.

mgs
Old 04-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't mind driving the slowest vehicle on the Planet buy the 4 cyl. but not for 25. 20 grand TOPS. I'd buy a used V6 if I were you.

Steve
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
If you don't mind driving the slowest vehicle on the Planet buy the 4 cyl. but not for 25. 20 grand TOPS. I'd buy a used V6 if I were you.

Steve
I don't know where you get your ideas from but I have no problem passing everything on the interstate and frequently look down to see I'm doing 90 mph with no strain at all smooth as silk. The only reason I'm not going 85 to 90 all the time is I need my license.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #30
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Slowest 4 wheeled vehicle 0-60. Sorry. Unless you know of another one.

Steve
Old 04-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #31
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Slowest 4 wheeled vehicle 0-60. Sorry. Unless you know of another one.

Steve
OK, U can write Winning on your post. I have no interest in researching the slowest 4 wheeled vehicle 0-60 or in drag racing a work truck. If I wanted to get off the line the quickest I'd buy a completely different type of vehicle.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #32
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Test drive the I4. See if the power works for you. The gas mileage is the biggest plus (payload is also the highest in the access cab I4 4x4), the loss of HP and towing capacity (if the V6 has the towing package) are the draw backs.

25k is too much. It is used, even if for only 1800 miles. You can buy new I4 access cab 4x4s all day long for 25k. 23k or so seems reasonable to me.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
Hey kids... Done deal!

V6 TRD, AC, AT, OR... deal was good, so it trumped the driveline question. Had the 06 TRD OR, so happy I could swing another one...

Back in the saddle and now two Toyo's strong (wife's FJ & TRD Tacoma).

Thanks to all for the help, and a couple of month's down the road, I will have to revisit the CAI debate and in dreamland..., the supercharger

Thanks again! -Matt
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #34
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartage1 View Post
I was thinking it should be under 21, but 1800 miles is intriguing.

Found a nice 07 TRD OR with about 30k mid 20's, so need to decide b/t a newer 4 banger or slightly older TRD with more miles. I don't know if either will end up in the garage, but will still face the same dilemma... Newer 4, or higher mileage 6?? B

Thx for replies and opinions....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
dude 30k miles is NOTHING! Not even broke in IMO....go with the 07 TRD OR...

Nothing against the 4bangers AT ALL...

x2, im with colts and this summer when i finally buy a truck mine will probably have 50k+ on it ac or dc but v6 for sure
Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #35
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
guess im a little late to the party lol
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
Fresno-tucky???..., spent a few years running a DC in Fresno... Didn't have a Taco then, bet Kings Canyon and the National Parks have to be fun with these trucks... Hot in the summer, but enjoyed my time in Fresno...

While a Hoosier by upbringing and a Buckeye by birth...., Go Bulldogs!

Fresno State is a cool place..

Products Discussed in this Thread