Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help.. Is a 4 cyl a good idea?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
cartage1 will become famous soon enoughcartage1 will become famous soon enough
cartage1's Tacoma Gallery
Help.. Is a 4 cyl a good idea?

I traded in a 2006 Trd OR SR5 for a decked out FJ For my wife..., FJ is cool and does not disappoint... Now it is time to part ways with my current ride (2002 Land Rover Discovery) and a Tacoma will be in the garage again...

Can't afford to buy a new TRD OR again, so forced into the used market... Lots of high milers, etc.., but local criminal (Toyo dealer who I have shunned before) has a 2011 with 1800 miles, but a 4 banger non TRD....

Asking 25, and it is an access cab, SR5....

Should I go with higher mileage 6 cyl, or take advantage of a basically brand new truck???

Thanks in advance!!... And either way, I am excited to get a Tacoma back in my hands..
Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I like my 4cy.....Reepur, your truck is awesome!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO if you don't tow heavy things the 4 cyl is fine. By the way I just bought a 2011 SR5 V6 6pd AC with the factory tow package for $25050 brand new.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
I was thinking it should be under 21, but 1800 miles is intriguing.

Found a nice 07 TRD OR with about 30k mid 20's, so need to decide b/t a newer 4 banger or slightly older TRD with more miles. I don't know if either will end up in the garage, but will still face the same dilemma... Newer 4, or higher mileage 6?? B

Thx for replies and opinions....
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
SR5 w/6 @ 25 is better then I can find in Cleveland...., need to take a roadie..and find a better market.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartage1 View Post
I was thinking it should be under 21, but 1800 miles is intriguing.

Found a nice 07 TRD OR with about 30k mid 20's, so need to decide b/t a newer 4 banger or slightly older TRD with more miles. I don't know if either will end up in the garage, but will still face the same dilemma... Newer 4, or higher mileage 6?? B

Thx for replies and opinions....
dude 30k miles is NOTHING! Not even broke in IMO....go with the 07 TRD OR...

Nothing against the 4bangers AT ALL...
Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
With gas on the rise, get the 4cyl, you'll be glad you did!! If you don't need the extra power, don't waste the $$$
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
bigcoffinhunter is on a distinguished road
bigcoffinhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
With gas on the rise, get the 4cyl, you'll be glad you did!! If you don't need the extra power, don't waste the $$$
Unfortunately the 4cyl won't save you that much. I'm getting 20.5 with the 6/auto vs 22 with the 4/manual. If you ever want the power, it's so nice to have it.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
You can do better then 22 on a 2.7 if U R careful. A Scangauge2 will help. You can see what your mpg is in real time - it help you keep a light touch on the gas petal. I can get 18 mpg if in a hurry or up to 28 mpg if I'm careful.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
if the 4 cyl that you are looking at is a manual, then I would say go with that. I have the 4 in my truck and it does everything I ask it to do, however there are times when if I had an auto I would have sold the truck allready,

you need the ability to hold gears with the manual transmission in certain situations (short on-ramps, passing, getting away from the asshole that keeps tailgating you) to make the 4 banger a good option
Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoffinhunter View Post
Unfortunately the 4cyl won't save you that much. I'm getting 20.5 with the 6/auto vs 22 with the 4/manual. If you ever want the power, it's so nice to have it.
Ive seen many people get 26+mpg on a 4cyl 5 spd reg cab, no question it will save$$ ! It comes down to if you need the power of a v6 or not.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
I have what I believe is the heaviest version of the truck that they offer the 4 cylinder with, a 4x4 access cab, and I average exactly 23mpg
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
bigcoffinhunter is on a distinguished road
bigcoffinhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Ive seen many people get 26+mpg on a 4cyl 5 spd reg cab, no question it will save$$ ! It comes down to if you need the power of a v6 or not.
That has to be with a 4x2. No matter how carefully I drove I never got much more than 23. I could never break 24.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
The original question had multiple facets...., but out of curiosity, what is a fair price for the 2011 Access Cab, SR5 with a 4cyl, 5 Spd (technically used with 1800 miles).

I am torn because I liked with the more powerful 6 (which I was happy with before), but could live with the 4 if the deal was right.

Nobody seems to be completely dissatisfied with either power plant, and I fully understand the power - v - economy arguments..., so I guess value is the underlying question....

That now becomes two-fold...
1) Price at time of purchase
2) Cost to operate ....

Buying used, options are limited so the market will play out based on availability, but based on some responses, the referenced 4 banger is way over priced???

Is it possible to get a new 6 for $25,000((or a new 4 for 21-22)..access cab 4wd).

Again, thanks in advance and sorry to ramble.., but my excitement to get another Tacoma is getting the best of me... The opinions are helpful, and the actual prices paid certainly give me better understanding of the market... Asking price is not market.., only what was actually paid..

-Matt
Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L brand new with 5 miles, SR5 package access cab 5 speed manual 18.5 OTD with tax title license.

I get 24-25 mpg with a 4" lift, 75 lb front bumper, sliders, 48lb 255'85'16 tires plus maybe another 20-30 lbs rotational mass for the wheels and 4.56 gears.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
proff49 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
proff49's Tacoma Gallery
Five weeks ago I got my 2011 a-cab 4-banger sr5 for $24,000 new. So far the only load I've hauled is my John Deere Gator on a 10ft steel trailer and was very happy with the power in the hilly rural area I live in. I am also very happy with the mileage. My last two fill-ups I averaged right at 24 mpg with no mods to improve mileage (yet). If you can get them down a little, I say go for the 4 cylinder unless you know you need the extra power of the 6. I knew the 4 would work fine for me and I wanted the extra mileage.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
owned four 4-cyl. toyotas. tow small boats, and a small army trailer. no problems. if towing anything heavy go with 6 cyl. the 4-cyl. has done everything I ever needed , just maby a little slower on hills. never thought I'd be driving a 4-cyl.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
4cyls are great, esp when gas is 4 bucks a gallon. with an AFE pro dry s air filter, you can easily get 400miles out of a tank, and thats driving it like you stole it.