Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Putting front dust caps on rear hubs

Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Putting front dust caps on rear hubs

I've ditched the stock Sport rims for a set of black Konig Countersteers. However, I hate the HUGE center caps that come with them.
So I've been running without them. In the front...it's NO PROBLEM because the black dust cap that covers the hub nut looks great.
However the rear looked back because it doesn't match; and it's just a rusty cast iron center. So I figured I'd attempt to match
the rear to the front by putting some dust caps on the rear. I haven't seen it done, or seen a thread on it...so here is how I did it.
Looks good to me.

This is what the front looks like with the rim and the stock dust cap.

This is what the rear looked like. I know I could have painted it...but still not a perfect match.

A bit of wire-brushing to remove the rust and prep the surface for JB Weld.

Get two of these...not cheap...but not a high dollar mod by any means.

Modified the caps by grinding a gap for the raised portion of the center, and cut tabs to help the JB Weld have something more to hold.

JB Welding the cap on. Might should have used JB Quik. Took forever to cure and I had to tape it on overnight.

Next day...JB Weld is hard. Will wait another day before driving.

How it looks now. Rear left...front right.

The finished look.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I will be considering this before I paint mine for my Countersteers...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Nice job! How much do the caps cost?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I painted my giant center caps to match but the paints been chipping and I think I like the look without them. I'm going to take them off next time the wheels come off. Would just paining the rear to match be fine too?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
Nice job! How much do the caps cost?

Can't remember...and can't locate the spot I hid the receipt from myself. I'm seeming to remember $40. But I bought them from the dealer. DON'T DO THAT! They always charge me at least 40% more than I can get stuff on-line.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Very creative, looks good. I just painted mine but your setup looks better I think.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
just hope you never have to do rear brakes. I dont think that drum will slide over that cap.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I hated the huge caps my ATX's came with as well so I am running them without. Your idea is great! I just painted my rears but I like your idea too! Good job!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.oemparts123.com/partloca...layCatalogid=0
number 4 is whats needed for this.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
just hope you never have to do rear brakes. I dont think that drum will slide over that cap.
Not gonna be a problem.

I checked that before I proceeded. The caps stay w/i the collar of the
center piece. So...while very much a valid concern, it doesn't turn out
to be an issue at all.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
I just painted my hubs/drums with a matte black spray paint and it matches perfectly
Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great
Good thinking Tbird
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
samhain will become famous soon enoughsamhain will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
samhain's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Prerunner and would like to do this to the front and rear hubs. Would the install be similar for the front hubs?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #16

Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain View Post
I have a Prerunner and would like to do this to the front and rear hubs. Would the install be similar for the front hubs?
Good question...one that I can't answer. I've never seen the front hubs on a non 4WD. Just compare your fronts to the rears...if they are the same then it will work the same.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I love the idea, though I would have painted the drum before installing the caps.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
Subd. I just took off my center caps off my wheels and I might have to do this. Thanks op.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #20
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
I like this idea and almost cheaper than replacing lost plastic hub pieces.
Wondering if a magnet jb welded to the cap itself would hold the cap to the axle end. Would make it easier to remove if required.