Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Subs on stock head unit?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
HORRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Micheal
HORRD's Tacoma Gallery
Subs on stock head unit?

Does it work? im strongly considering subs but dont have money for a new head unit too....will it work?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
You can get a rca converter for the headunit most sound system shop should have them
my friend has this in his tacoma and the sub sounds decent.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
LOC - line out converter
Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
head unit first then sub/amp. Way better option imo.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer fit perfect in the drivers side rear storage bin.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
cu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant future
cu52's Tacoma Gallery
line output converter similar to any of these: http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...ut%20converter

I used the PAC Trunk-LOC discontinued now but worked great in my audi.

Get one with a remote turn on no matter what. Also if your amp does not have low pass filter, get one with a equalizer/filter on it.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Yes. You need a 2-channel amplifier that takes speaker-level inputs and has a low pass filter. Split your front speaker wires and run them into the amp.
I'm running my rear (ceiling) speakers spliced, works fine. Plus I like the option of changing deck settings to increase sound to the ceiling speakers and subs so I can increase the volume without the front stock speakers failing....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
I just upgraded my stereo with a double din head unit but before that I had stock radio with one 12" sub. It was worth the money I spent to get it to work until I got the money to upgrade.

If your interested I have my old line out convertor(gives you RCA's to run to amp) and an ipod adapter that plugs into the cd changer port on you factory radio for sale.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty happy with my stock HU with a 4 channel amp hooked up to the rears and a single 12"sub.
Itll sound better with aftermarket HU but I didnt wanna buy extra crap to keep the steering wheel control functional.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
head unit first then sub/amp. Way better option imo.
^^^ what he said.....

IMO it's a waste of money trying to improve the OEM head unit. Think of it as "polishing a turd".
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
seriously man, i was the same way i didnt wanna spend the money either. But im tellin you, even just the new HU can improve your system. in th elong run, you'll be so much happier you got a HU first, then you avoid going out and buying all these converters. just get a new HU, amp, then subs. sure it takes longer but its worth it and youll just have to be patiet.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Crownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of light
Crownedcustoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Yes. You need a 2-channel amplifier that takes speaker-level inputs and has a low pass filter. Split your front speaker wires and run them into the amp.
Why would you want a 2 channel amp for subs?