Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed covers impact on MPG???

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
larsotra is on a distinguished road
Name: Travis
larsotra's Tacoma Gallery
Bed covers impact on MPG???

Does anyone have an opinion on bed covers and how they improve MPG????
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Extang Trifecta tonneau cover but I really don't see any difference in fuel consumption at all
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Zero.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I think mine gives me a 0.5mpg - 1 mpg. Less drag..
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
didn't see much if any improvement with mine. Highway driving might be more affected by it though.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my Undercover on I didn't notice any change.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Jdevine80 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Jdevine80's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing in town and not much with mixed but with total highway driving I did notice a 1-1.5 mpg increase. I take the same highway trip often and I've done it several times with and without the cover and the results are consistent.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Tombs is on a distinguished road

Tombs's Tacoma Gallery
MPG

I have a Undercover.No change in town or on the highway.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Won't chang your mpg. Mythbusters had an episode on it
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
No change. ONLY mod that will improve MPG is to keep it under 2k rpm. Which is impossible considering 2k in 6th gear is 55 mph. Who the heck drives at 55??
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
robstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
robstaco35's Tacoma Gallery
mine gave me 0 mpg and maybe even made it a tad worse.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Jdevine80 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Jdevine80's Tacoma Gallery
Even if it does increase slightly (like I saw at 1, maybe 1.5mpg), it doesn't make it worth buying just for the potential to see an increase in mpg. It would take a very long time to make up the price difference in what you spent on the cover. So if you were going to buy it for what it's intended for, go ahead but not for an mpg increase.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
Bodete is on a distinguished road
Bodete's Tacoma Gallery
I was interested about the mpg before and after adding a bedcover. So I calculated mpg for 3 weeks of normal driving before, the average was 18.5 and 3 weeks after averaged 20.25. It did make a small difference.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodete View Post
I was interested about the mpg before and after adding a bedcover. So I calculated mpg for 3 weeks of normal driving before, the average was 18.5 and 3 weeks after averaged 20.25. It did make a small difference.
may have been the summertime getting there with warmer temperatures, less humid conditions, etc... very hard to prove that your bed cover did the change. I did the test also, but didn't have a scangauge then, and discovered a 5% increase in mileage, but I think it was me creating the difference because I WANTED it.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
It won't change your MPG and might even hurt it.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #18
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Won't chang your mpg. Mythbusters had an episode on it
Didn't their testing method get busted on that one??? If I remember right, they used a shortbed V8 pickup. People have retested it with different vehicle configurations and came up with different results. Not to mention how un-scientific it is to say that testing one truck is the rule for all the other trucks out there.

The weight of the cover makes a big difference if you see any gain also. I had a fiberglass bed topper on my old F-150 and saw a mileage gain when I took it off. When I replaced the topper with a marine canvas bed cover my mileage went up again on long drives.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #19
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsotra View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on bed covers and how they improve MPG????
Would seem they should help but I've seen little if any improvement.

It does seem to feel better at highway speeds though, I believe because it's creating additional down-force. All it needs is to generate one ounce per square inch of down-force (not much when you think about it) that's 3600 ounces (60" * 60") or 225 lbs additional down force. I know it is creating some since it's pressed down against the ribs for the most part, fluttering a little (meaning zero) in a few areas and never being sucked up.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #20
TheITguy is on a distinguished road
TheITguy's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, it does make a difference, BUT, its not a huge difference tank to tank. It maybe over the life time of the truck which would make it worth it. Just my opinion......