Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I feel like I'm gona break it...

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Ghaleon109 is on a distinguished road

Ghaleon109's Tacoma Gallery
I feel like I'm gona break it...

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and trucks really... but it's really helped me out a lot lately.

I've got a 4x2 4cyl (non-Prerunner) SR5 and just have a few things I've been wondering about...

I like to take it off road some, nothing too crazy, I havent bottomed out the suspention, but can the more economy based trucks like that really take a medium terrain without breaking something major?

Also, I'll be lifting the front end so that it's even with the back, getting new rims and putting on some 235/75/15 AT Revos. I want to lift it about 3" or so eventually but it's been hard to find a kit that'll fit, everything seems to be made for the Pre-runners... Oh, and the offset of the new rims is going to set them out past the fenders a little so I was wondering if there were some fender flares that would fit, something like that of the Pre-runner's.

Thanks for your time everyone,
Mike
Old 05-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon109 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and trucks really... but it's really helped me out a lot lately.

I've got a 4x2 4cyl (non-Prerunner) SR5 and just have a few things I've been wondering about...

I like to take it off road some, nothing too crazy, I havent bottomed out the suspention, but can the more economy based trucks like that really take a medium terrain without breaking something major?

Also, I'll be lifting the front end so that it's even with the back, getting new rims and putting on some 235/75/15 AT Revos. I want to lift it about 3" or so eventually but it's been hard to find a kit that'll fit, everything seems to be made for the Pre-runners... Oh, and the offset of the new rims is going to set them out past the fenders a little so I was wondering if there were some fender flares that would fit, something like that of the Pre-runner's.

Thanks for your time everyone,
Mike
Welcome to TW!

I think you are going to run into a bunch of rubbing problems if you go for wider/taller rims/tires without doing something to your suspension. Your truck is basically mine with a different kind of suspension. The suspension is really where you are going to hurt. I actually took a standard suspension 4 cylinder 4x2 regular cab 2006 Tacoma over some rough terrrain, and I was impressed with the way it handles. Having said that, I took my PreRunner over the same terrain, and I was MUCH more impressed.

Like I said, though, the MAJOR difference is the suspension. You could change out your suspension for something that isn't quite as high as the PreRunner (but more suited to off-road than standard suspension) and you should be fine. No matter what, I would get a guarantee from WHOEVER does your work that it will continue to operate without causing extra damage.

Good luck, and let us know how things go!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply

I'm going to look into some better suspention kits. Anything that you would reccomend? I was thinking Pro Comp might make something

I had checked the wheel and tire fitment from the site Sunrider (I think) posted, and it said it should be able to handle a 225/75/15 stock, (That was consitering I got the correct offset as well, ...which I didnt...) but the guy said since I was leveling out the front it could handle a 235/75/15. I'll be getting the wheels tonight, and the lift tomorrow afternoon so I'll post the results after. I'm definatly going to look into getting that signed... Kinda have a bad feeling about all this now
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, good luck!

Suggestion: Take before and after pictures!!! - besides just being cool to look at, they help you remember how things were if anything gets messed up, or if you have second thoughts about what you did. Of course, we would love to see them too.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon109 View Post
Thanks for the reply

I'm going to look into some better suspention kits. Anything that you would reccomend? ...
As far as suggestions go, I am not really the person to ask. I love my PreRunner as it is, so I haven't changed much on it.

People to ask: Greenbean2003, pb2themax, TRDeity, twoarezee, ndcouch, and MANY OTHERS ON OUR FORUM!

These guys have more experience than I do with aftermarket parts. I am just getting in the game. I just share my experiences.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Well, good luck!

Suggestion: Take before and after pictures!!! - besides just being cool to look at, they help you remember how things were if anything gets messed up, or if you have second thoughts about what you did. Of course, we would love to see them too.
Great suggestion!

I have a few before photos, I'll get some more today though. I'm a photographer by profession so rest assured there will be photos Wheels should be ready tonight so I'll show those (pretty plain, but I like 'em ), but I'm not gona have them mounted untill the front is lifted tomorrow night maybe...

Thanks again for all your help, I really appriciate it
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

No problem!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm flattered that my name was mentioned when it comes to knowing alot about aftermarket stuff, but that's not true. I do have a suspension fetish though and my suspension of choice is Bilstein. Thats what i have on my BMW and on my truck and i wouldn't put anything else on any car i own now or will ever own. Google it and do some research, in my opinion you can't get any better more bombproof suspension. I actually recently posted my latest and most extreme test of the Bilsteins on my truck. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-handling.html This test was performed in four wheel drive so results will vary if you are driving a 4x2 but i still think they are the best way to go. hope this helped
Old 05-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I'm flattered that my name was mentioned when it comes to knowing alot about aftermarket stuff, but that's not true. I do have a suspension fetish though and my suspension of choice is Bilstein. Thats what i have on my BMW and on my truck and i wouldn't put anything else on any car i own now or will ever own. Google it and do some research, in my opinion you can't get any better more bombproof suspension. I actually recently posted my latest and most extreme test of the Bilsteins on my truck. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-handling.html This test was performed in four wheel drive so results will vary if you are driving a 4x2 but i still think they are the best way to go. hope this helped
I was actually trying to just refer to your knowledge in general. I wouldn't know the difference in a Bilstein and a standard gas shock until I broke one.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately i don't think i have any knowledge in general
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Unfortunately i don't think i have any knowledge in general
GREAT! Then I am DOOMED!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #12

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know what you decide to do Ghaleon, i'm interested to see which route you go. I'd also like to get some feedback on what you use, whether its Bilstein or anything else.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #13

Sorry guys, Finals have been killing me for the past week.

But It's taking a little longer for the front end lift to get here they were out of ones for the 07 model untill recently, so the whole thing, tires and front lift, should be on Friday morning

Haven't had time to research any suspention kits, but after my last final tomorrow I'll have some more time to look into some different options
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 AM   #14
I dub thee malicious!

Well, best of luck on the finals! Even though the Tacoma runs a close second, education must come first.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #15

So im back from the dead!

Finals went well, and after some changes to the order (due to stock and avalibility) all the stuff is finally here! Should be on the truck tomorrow morning. (I know I've said that before haha, but I hope it's true this time...)

Anyways, here are some krappy pictures since its late and there's no light. Their B&W becuase I didnt want to mess with the WB.. its late...

Just some Akuza 15" rims with the BFG A/T 13x9.5

The front lift kit which took a week to get in... Ready Lift Leveling Kit

And the Spacers that needed to be machined so that the rims wouldn't rest on my calipers (sp?)

I'm getting excited!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
i really like those wheels
Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #17
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i really like those wheels
Ditto, if I had money I would definitely get me some of those.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #18

And finally here are the pics =D

Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
I dub thee malicious!

That thing looks awesome now! Great job!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #20
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Nice looking truck!! That being said, a 4X2 isn't the truck to have to go off-roading in!! Just curious, why didn't you get the 4X4 model??????