1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can an '07 be better than a '10?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mxpilot, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Just do the test youself if you have access to an auto lsd during winter. I did the test OFTEN because I couldn't believe it. Place 1 rear wheel on an ice Patch (or other slippery surface that fits only 1 wheel) and the other rear wheel on asphalt then apply throttle aggressively: wheel on asphalt go as far as spinning with enough throttle (with trd off road and hydraulic booster).

On my 09 with normal brake booster, the test would give similar results but you would need more wheel-spin differential to get similar effect, though not as strongly as the trd off road (wheel on asphalt would not spin).

Well anyway, I don't think a stock mech lsd would go as far as making the wheel on asphalt spin. But as you told in a post later, there are still advantages of the mech, but then it's a matter of taste and opinions, and I like technology so...

2. May 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Uncelou1980

Uncelou1980 Active Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner 2WD Double Cab
    I have a 2006 TRD Sports Package (2WD) and how the hell do i know if i have a mechanical LSD or Automatic LSD ???????

3. May 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    To answer your question OP, I noticed the exact same thing. My 2008 PreRunner was more solid. You can tell where they mashed panels together in the interior on the 10, things are squeaking all through the interior my 08 never did, just overall things seem to be slapped together instead of taking a little pride and torquing things down correctly, ect.

That said, the engine itself and all that is perfectly fine/same. It's built in Japan anyway so there's no issue there.

It's hard to put a finger on it, but I feel the same way with it. However, now that I've beefed it all up she's running nice :) I still have to fix the borked seals for the damn whistling though.

4. May 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    True. Takes time to save $$ at my shitty job.

5. May 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Also as for traction control... that's a whole diffrent discussion. His real question at the start was about quality control (at least how I saw it). A-TRAC is a great feature, the rear locker is identical to the 08 I had. A-LSD is better than no LSD, and there is a slight advantage that it's easier/cheaper to maintain breaks than replace clutch packs. That said, in raw power applications there is zero replacement for a true LSD... or welding it locked in drag :p Seeing as most Tacoma's are going the off-road route... that's typically a non issue minus the x-runners and of course, superwerty

Products Discussed in

To Top