Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can an '07 be better than a '10?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
mxpilot has a spectacular aura aboutmxpilot has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
mxpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Can an '07 be better than a '10?

I had an '07 AC 4x4, traded last July for a '10 DC 4x4. At first it seemed to be quieter, nicer ('07 was a base model, this one is an SR5), but now it's starting to feel like it's not as well built as the '07 was. Doesn't feel as solid, engine sounds different (with only 8k on it), and a few other minor things I wouldn't have expected in a higher quality, newer model.

Anyone else been in this situation? What do you think?

Chris
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see how that can be since components are the same between the two.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpilot View Post
I had an '07 AC 4x4, traded last July for a '10 DC 4x4. At first it seemed to be quieter, nicer ('07 was a base model, this one is an SR5), but now it's starting to feel like it's not as well built as the '07 was. Doesn't feel as solid, engine sounds different (with only 8k on it), and a few other minor things I wouldn't have expected in a higher quality, newer model.

Anyone else been in this situation? What do you think?

Chris
Beginningof 2009 is when people in NUMMI find out about plant closing. There seems to be big quality difference between 05-08 and the newer years.
My guess is after they find out about closing they no longer gave a $hit about quality.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say no. The Auto LSD alone is far superior than the mechanical LSD. There could always be a few problems with any model year, but overall the 2010 is improved over the 2007.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
I'd say no. The Auto LSD alone is far superior than the mechanical LSD. There could always be a few problems with any model year, but overall the 2010 is improved over the 2007.
How so ?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
How so ?
I was wondering myself. Its not like these lsd's have been known to suck or fail....
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
I was wondering myself. Its not like these lsd's have been known to suck or fail....
I know I have one and my mechanical limited slip been working flawlessly for past 40K, plus there are tons of reasons why its better then auto-LSD that new trucks have. So not sure what he meant
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
My UAW-made 2010 has been trouble-free the past year. Different engine sound could be due to newer ECM software, which also controls things like shift logic.

Statisically 2008 Tacos are more reliable than 2007 Tacos, according to JDPowers 3-year ratings. We'll find out about 2009 Tacos' reliability next year.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
mxpilot has a spectacular aura aboutmxpilot has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
mxpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Will have to check where they're from. Think I still have the VIN from the '07.

Suspension feels softer than the '07, doors seem a little tinny, engine sounds tinny, shifting isn't as smooth. Having had to put a transmission in the '07 prematurely, the '10 isn't inspiring confidence that I won't have to again.

For only having 8k on it, it just doesn't feel as good as the '07 with 50k. I don't offroad, I drive like an old man, it's living a good life. Heck, I got more mpg with the '07, although it took more miles on it to start to show. I ended up at 21.5-23 on the highway, the '10 hasn't shown me 20 yet. Not sure if the added weight of the DC over the AC is the reason.

Not unhappy with the new truck, just noticing differences. I'm sure I'd like it over anything else out there, especially since I looked at most everything else out there. Always wanted one, glad to have one. And I've been blessed to have found good dealerships twice too.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
As an owner of a 2007, I'd say the 2007's are better but I might be a little bias and have no evidence to support this opinion...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
The reason I was saying the the 2007 is not better than the 2010 is that through evolution of the model improvements are made and things that were a problem in previous years get fixed. There have been several improvements to the current 2nd generation model most being in the 2009-2011 model years. I only listed the auto LSD, but there other things like side air bags/curtains and stability/traction control standard.

I've had both mechanical and Auto LSD. Auto LSD is much smoother in operation (no grabbing on hard right turns under power). It also works when one wheel is on ice and the other is on dry pavement (mechanical doesn't)

Not saying there is anything wrong with 2007 they are great trucks too, but the question was are they better than 2010 and my answer was no.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #12

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reason I was saying the the 2007 is not better than the 2010 is that through evolution of the model improvements are made and things that were a problem in previous years get fixed. There have been several improvements to the current 2nd generation model most being in the 2009-2011 model years. I only listed the auto LSD, but there other things like side air bags/curtains and stability/traction control standard.

I've had both mechanical and Auto LSD. Auto LSD is much smoother in operation (no grabbing on hard right turns under power). It also works when one wheel is on ice and the other is on dry pavement (mechanical doesn't)

Not saying there is anything wrong with 2007 they are great trucks too, but the question was are they better than 2010 and my answer was no.
Its matter of personal preference I guess but
1. I prefer mechanical Limited slip over auto :
a. It works all the time because it does not have to "sense" which wheel is slipping
b. That wheel chirp on the turn is what improves MPG because mechanical sends power to inside wheel (or whichever wheel turns slower)
c. Its independed of tire presure, and perfectly capable functioning with one flat tire. It will save flat tire because it will power up good tire and flat will roll along instead like open diff (auto-limited) powering the flat tire until rubber tears apart.
d. Mechanical limited slip is designed for continuous slip and will never overheat or loose performance as long as oil in diff can handle it (thats why synthetic is the way to go)
d. Factory Hino limited slip handles one wheel on ice perfectly fine. Mine did that since day one and I should have made video this winter to prove it so this statement does not get repeated over and over again.

2. Traction control is not improvement to me. More expensive parts to break, more limits what can be done with the truck, more trips to dealer and more money spent.

3. NUMMI employes knew in 2009 that they loosing their jobs. Do you think they had put the same amount of effort as they did for 2005-08 trucks? Would you ?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Blue T, The Nummi plant was in Freemont CA. My truck was made in Mexico, so I don't see what effect that would have on my truck. I'm glad you like your mechanical lsd, but have you ever driven a newer truck with auto lsd to compare?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanical LSD FTW!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #16

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Blue T, The Nummi plant was in Freemont CA. My truck was made in Mexico, so I don't see what effect that would have on my truck. I'm glad you like your mechanical lsd, but have you ever driven a newer truck with auto lsd to compare?
Well the Mexico ones are not inspiring confidence either (read forum... for details)

I do like my mechanical Limited slip.
NO, I dont have 09+ Tacoma to compare to but I have another vehicle with traction control using the same Bosch controller and its complete POS in the winter. To the point that I have to turn off TCS to get home. I also had chances to watch Land Cruisers and FJ Cruisers using Toyota traction control and having problems with getting UP. So I think I have enough proof with out wasting money.
Am I willing to buy new Tacoma? most likely not. I like my mechanical limited slip and the mileage I am getting on my truck. (I just came back from 75 miles trip and got 23.8 MPG average on scanguage) Why would I give that up ?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bullshit.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 5 lug has 63,000 miles and it is still tight. While I can not speak to how well the pre-'09 models are built I waited until the '09 came out to buy my truck specifically because of all the electronics that were introduced with the '09.
I tow a boat and have had mechancial limited slips on my last three vehicles. The electronic LSD is much smoother, quieter, weighs less and does not impose a mileage penalty like a mechanical LSD does. It has proven its cpability on both sand ramps on the side of a canal and a weed silimed ramp that many others were having trouble getting up. I just turn on the Auto LSD and drive right out.

The traction control proved its worth on an extremely slippery road one night and it allowed me to drive right out of a muddy ditch that I (stupidly) drove into without having to turn on the Auto LSD.

IMHO those electronic improvements make comparisons irrelevant because the pre-'09s are crippled w/o them.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
One Convenient Locations ......In Africa
Sleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: HMM-263 MALS-29
Name: Corporal
Sleeper362's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post

IMHO those electronic improvements make comparisons irrelevant because the pre-'09s are crippled w/o them.
My truck seems to do just fine without the electronics.

Mechanical LSDs work no matter what your computer is telling it. I just have little faith in electronics being there for you when you need them most. There is also something that spooks me about using your breaks for an LSD.