Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Choice for DD and off-road

Old 05-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Can't believe this hasn't been moved to wheels & tires yet.

Mods must be asleep at the wheel.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
OP - I have duratracs; work well on and off road. Haven't taken em through much snow yet.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
OP - I have duratracs; work well on and off road. Haven't taken em through much snow yet.

You will find them to be EXCELLENT in the snow...on road and off!! They are fantastic snowy/icy road tires even unstudded!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #24

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
You will find them to be EXCELLENT in the snow...on road and off!! They are fantastic snowy/icy road tires even unstudded!

yeah i know. just doesnt snow much around here. ill be going up to flagstaff in the winter so ill toy around with em then.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
llebbuhnairb will become famous soon enoughllebbuhnairb will become famous soon enough
llebbuhnairb's Tacoma Gallery
another +1 for the duratracs, i got them so i would stop getting stuck in situations like Tacomada's. they have just big enough tread gaps to clear the mud without really being just a mud tire, and the sidewalls are great to swim through some sand too see rugged fails below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Duratrac, I kinda wish I had gotten them. If you are looking for a little less agressive the Goodyear wrangler silent armour are what i ended up with and they do a good job.

Mine got me out of this just an hour ago.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #26

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by llebbuhnairb View Post
another +1 for the duratracs, i got them so i would stop getting stuck in situations like Tacomada's. they have just big enough tread gaps to clear the mud without really being just a mud tire, and the sidewalls are great to swim through some sand too
hahaha i like how you threw him under the bus. funny.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
X5 on hankook atms. About 10k mi and zero problems. Pulled vehicles from snow, sand, and mud without airing down. Price is reasonable as well.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #28
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
I also give a thumbs up to the Hankook ATMs. I bought them due to the fact I rarely go offroad, they were lighter than most tires (MPG), but still had a decent tread on them. They ride great and have worn well. My gas mileage hasn't decreased either, even though I leveled my truck with the 5100s and went up a size with the new tires. However, I love the look of those duratracs and may consider purchasing those next.

For everyone on here with the duratracs, what kind of change in gas mileage did you see??
Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #29
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy my Desty ATs.

Just don't get the fascination with the GYs. GY can't make tires. They can't make a round tire, also known for the sidewalls blowing out.

I replaced 2 GYs at work yesterday that had blown holes in their sidewalls. 2 diferent vehicles. Had another set (2) that were very finicky on the balancer, another with a bulge in the sidewall.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Valkiera is on a distinguished road
Valkiera's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input folks. I took a look at the duratracs and Hankook ATMs. Both looked good, but I did end up getting a set of the Destination AT's. Found a shop with them instock, picked them up for $130 a tire. Once I get her cleaned up, I'll give a couple pics.

I hope to take her out to get dirty next weekend, unless my cap comes in, then it will be a road trip to pick it up

Thanks again,
Cindy
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont need max offroad traction, the Destination ATs are the second best AT tire rated on tirerack.com. Only ones better are some Kumho tires I've never heard of.

Looks like a good choice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #32
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayunk04 View Post
duratacs

^^ No. I have duratracs load range e. Now dont get me wrong these tires are tough as nails, wear like iron and have excellent traction in everything I have put them through. However he wants to know which tire is the best for DD and some offroading. The duratracs have flaws: horribly high rolling resistance (poor mpg will lose about 1-2 mpg especially with load range e) They are heavy, and they are loud.

IMO the best tire for his driving needs would be hankook dynapro RF-10's or BFG all terrains.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #33
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i have had BFG AT's, Firestone Dest AT's and REVO 2's and i like the revos the best. i do 99% street driving, go to OBX beaches in the summer and some light offroad rarely and they work just fine, also we get a lot of snow here in CT and the Revos seem to be the best in the snow too. they get good mileage and are quiet.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have !!!! They are outstanding in the snow!

see what others have to say about Duratrac's:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...duratracs.html
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
pos3idon is on a distinguished road
pos3idon's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering replacing my stock Dunlop AT 20 tires and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about MPG loss with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 or the Firestone Destination A/T's compared to the Dunlop's.

I'm getting ready to go on a long road trip so I'm looking for a tire that will perform well on road and not hurt my MPG's too much and will be fun for some light off road with sand/mud (no rock crawling).

Please feel free to throw some other tires into the mix if you feel that they would be better. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #36
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hahaha i like how you threw him under the bus. funny.

<< cries a little inside..

I wasnt stuck.. just temporarily held up! I'm sure a set of more mud oriented tires would have helped make it straight though... more helpful would have been a better functioning brain to help me pick a better line. took a video of the way back through which turned out to be super boring as I went the 'right' way.

Good luck with the Destination AT's. Seem to be a lot of good things said about them!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
I have !!!! They are outstanding in the snow!

see what others have to say about Duratrac's:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...duratracs.html
Sorry for the hijack, but what part of western NY?. I'm in Naples, about 45min. south of Rochester!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos3idon View Post
I'm considering replacing my stock Dunlop AT 20 tires and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about MPG loss with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 or the Firestone Destination A/T's compared to the Dunlop's.

I'm getting ready to go on a long road trip so I'm looking for a tire that will perform well on road and not hurt my MPG's too much and will be fun for some light off road with sand/mud (no rock crawling).

Please feel free to throw some other tires into the mix if you feel that they would be better. Thanks.

The RF10's and the Firestones will have almost identical rolling resistance. They will have about 8-15% higher resistance than the Dunlops. What this translates to in MPG is .5 mpg give or take. How do I know this? I own a "Town Fair Tire" shop in New Hampshire and know my shit about tires. Its what I do. The Dunlop AT20s are horrible tires there tread depth is very shallow they last 30k miles max, terrible sidewalls, and horrid traction on anything. Go get yourself some RF10's. Awesome tire.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #39
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but what part of western NY?. I'm in Naples, about 45min. south of Rochester!
Buffalo
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #40
lamericle is on a distinguished road

Army: Jump master, Pathfinder, Master Breacher, EMT
Name: keagan
lamericle's Tacoma Gallery
DURATRACS!!!! Have 265's on my 2010 DC and they perform great. Took them through some mud and extremly loose sand last weekend and had very little tire slip. Ran most of the trail in 2WD even.