Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Choice for DD and off-road

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Valkiera is on a distinguished road
Valkiera's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Choice for DD and off-road

So I thought I had tires all settled, Iíd get Destination A/Tís for my 2011 AC TRD OR. Then they (Firestone) go and throw a wrench into things, the Revo2's are on sale and of course this is what the shop recommends. Would cost me $120 to upgrade, and I get a $100 rebate. They don't appear as off road capable, but I can get them in an E rated tire (not sure if that is really a need), even with the truck loaded up, that may be more tire than I need and will give a stiffer ride. What rated tire do most of you use?

The rig will be run about 70% on road and 30% off, mostly for exploring, fishing, photography, and camping. But in that off road time it could be FS road, desert, sand, snow, or trail. Not planning on any rock crawling or deep mud, but this is the NW, we get rain, and things get muddy. I donít have the suspension upgraded yet, that will happen this fall, OME all around. Not sure about bumpers, but she will have slides and skids by this time next year.

Thoughts, comments, recommendations I'm just in need of a reliable tire for on and off road. Still want some on road comfort, but I son't want to be stuck in a 4" deep creek or 6" of snow.

Thanks all,
Cindy
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
ayunk04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
ayunk04's Tacoma Gallery
duratacs
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 285 Nitto terra grappler. Very good on road. I dont wheel much anymore but held up good on mud and sand. Never let me down yet. Perfect for light 4x4ing imo if your not into rock crawling.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
jeepmor is on a distinguished road
jeepmor's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs. Guy at work has them on his jeep wrangler and reported an exceptionally quiet ride considering how aggressive the tread is. The heavy siping helps a lot with both traction and tire life.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT....stronger sidewall then the duratrac(unless you get kevlar)...nice and quiet as well

Firestone Dest At ..have great ratings and super wet traction
Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
itsjoe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
itsjoe's Tacoma Gallery
one more vote for the duratacs hear, i had them on my ranger fx4 quiet on road, awesome in the now, and excellent treadlife (on lighter trucks) Tacoma included. load class "c'' approx 6 ply sounds like it would suit your needs. as for bfg all-terrains they have there following imo they balance poorly, ride rough, and dont have anywhere near the offroad traction to compensate for mediocre road manners.....
Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATm

Sure liking these... so far about 4,000 miles on them, including Baja last weekend... quiet, inexpensive, excellent in mud, snow and desert.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
nvrsmr08 is on a distinguished road
nvrsmr08's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Destination At's and I really like them. The wear is excellent, and the tires are good off-road and on. If I had to do it all over again I would spend the extra and get the Michelin AT2's. The reason is the Destination At's are killing my gas mileage, I have to have them re-balanced about every 5,000 to 10,000 miles because I start to get the wheel shake. I am happy with my purchase, but since I also spend the bulk of my time on the road I think the Michelin's would be the best.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Sure liking these... so far about 4,000 miles on them, including Baja last weekend... quiet, inexpensive, excellent in mud, snow and desert.

x2

Love these tires...I'll get them again. just in a 285 next time
Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
762x51taco is on a distinguished road
762x51taco's Tacoma Gallery
GY Duratracks
Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
For your described use and mix, MT/R kevlars are worth considering.

Also, an "E" load rating tire is too heavy for a Tacoma, IMO.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac, I kinda wish I had gotten them. If you are looking for a little less agressive the Goodyear wrangler silent armour are what i ended up with and they do a good job.

Mine got me out of this just an hour ago.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Yokohama Geolander AT/S. Had them on my last truck. I also live up in Washington State. They were excellent in daily wet, black ice conditions. Handled the dry fine. Good, quiet road tire that can do the weekend duty on the trails. They are not a super hard compound so they likely won't last as long as say BFG A/T's but they did provide a more comfortable daily ride. They fairly reasonably priced too. Bought mine through Discount Tire. Got them to match the Tire Racks pricing. As to longevity my F150 supercrew had them for about 40,000 miles and still had another 15,000 of life.
I neglected to say they are fairly light in comparison to a lot of the tires mentioned. This also, helps with gas mileage if that's any issue.
Good luck, whatever you decide. K
Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
duratracs, load range c is plenty, quiet and aggressive with good on and offroad manors.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayunk04 View Post
duratacs
^^
Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
If you are really doing 30% off-road you should be looking at M/T's. Spending a third of your time off road is a MASSIVE amount. Whether you calc that by time or miles, this means generally almost a third of your time off pavement. If you drove to work everyday you'd essentially be spending all weekend after offroading.

BFG KM2's are far and away the best rated tire on tirerack, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORMT

Best hydroplaning resistance, second best wet traction, best cornering stability, second best dry traction, second best steering response, best light snow traction, best deep snow traction, best ice traction, best ride comfort, best noise comfort, and best treadwear.

I use the 255/85R16's KM2's and they are very quiet (similar level to my general grabbers/bfg AT) great offroad traction, E load rating (this depends on size, though I think my current size is the best way to go for quite a few reasons), good road manners, great overall tire.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the Hankook ATM's. I've got a set on my F-250 with almost 50,000 miles on them and they still have quite a bit of tread left. Good traction,quiet on road.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I have Firestone Destination A/T's. Have almost 50k on them and they've worn well. They are great in the snow and dry but I've seen better in the rain. Never any balancing issues.

HOWEVER, my next tires will be Duratracs. With a BIL who is a Goodyear store manager, how can I NOT buy them?