Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Roof Rack on Access-Cab Writeup

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Roof Rack on Access-Cab Writeup

Hey guys, promised a few people I would make a post on this if I ever got some info.

The following are not my pictures, and not my writeup. I know the detail leaves a bit to be desired, but its what I have so it is what you get.

Basically, my truck has an OEM roof rack meant for a double cab, but cut down and modified for an access cab. As I've posted pics on here I've gotten a lot of messages and posts asking how I did this, and the unfortunate answer was I didn't. So I petitioned the Previous Owner for what he used for a writeup or if he made one himself and he sent me the following.

I'll post the writeup pics then a couple pics of my truck with it on.

Writeup:

EDIT: Someone has posted the original source! Fantastic now credit can go where it's due. I've changed my quote to link to his post on the matter. Again I have not done this myself so PM him if you need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkevos View Post
Ok here is the finished product.

First I'll explain it:
I removed 12.75 inches from the center of the rack. You will see how I rejoined it right on one of the
recesses.

I then cut 4 patches out of the remaining pieces to use on the inside. I glued the sections together as well as embedded galvanized wire from some fence to add some strength. I used the two part epoxy you'll see in the pictures I got from my local autobody supply house.

While the glue was a bit flexible I set it back down on the roof to make sure it formed well. I left it
there overnight to dry.

I then sanded it down with 800 grit and applied a black bumper and trim polish (not pictured) in a shoe
polish type applicator to bring the shine back.

To install I removed the headliner and drilled through the roof as the access cab does not have the
factory installed weldbolts. The roof rack came with some caulking type washers that do a nice job of
sealing it up but to be sure I siliconed all bolts again. I just came back from the car wash and no
leaks.

Hopefully the pictures will answer any questions.

Here are some pics of my truck as well showing the finished product. I'd say it looks 99% OEM. From more than a foot away it looks 100% haha. All you see is a tiny bit of the plastic weld type stuff.

And a closeup of the epoxy which I guess has some bumper paint on it, to make it match. Looks pretty darn good I'd say!

Hard to tell since I took the pic in the rain though, sorry!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The previous owner also confirmed he used epoxy with steel wires as a composite to hold the rack together. I was out yanking on it, didnt budge
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone wants the original thread link...here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ccess-cab.html

2nd page includes directions/links for pictures.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Awesome! Never knew the original do-er

Looks like adkevos is the one! I'll change my original quote to link to his thread.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that's ingenuity!

I bought an access cab because I didn't require the additional storage space and never really have passengers, but, shit, this is pretty cool!

I'm sure with a little additional time and work, you could really hide that "seam" that's there.

So, just out of curiosity, what was your over-all time involved?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja90177 View Post

So, just out of curiosity, what was your over-all time involved?
He didn't do it, he purchased the truck that way....you'll have to go to the original thread and see if the people that did the modification are still active on the forum, which they might not be if they have got rid of their trucks.

op was being helpful posting instructions since apparently he got alot of questions about his rack.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
He didn't do it, he purchased the truck that way....you'll have to go to the original thread and see if the people that did the modification are still active on the forum, which they might not be if they have got rid of their trucks.

op was being helpful posting instructions since apparently he got alot of questions about his rack.
True, I totally missed that entire part of the post. DAK, go figure.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #9

Haha that's ok. The guys last post wasn't that long ago, maybe shoot him a PM and see if you can get a reply. Click the blue arrow in the quote to see his original post. GL.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future project
Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

Ha yeah no end to future projects is there. I just sold my lightforce's and ordered several LED bars. 20 inch in front of the ARB, and a 12 inch which will be angled to the side to light more and see ditches (deer, moose around here).

Maybe a 40 incher on the roof rack some day! haha.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Ha yeah no end to future projects is there. I just sold my lightforce's and ordered several LED bars. 20 inch in front of the ARB, and a 12 inch which will be angled to the side to light more and see ditches (deer, moose around here).

Maybe a 40 incher on the roof rack some day! haha.
I definitely need a roof rack... keep the board on top and the gear in the bed

Should be an awesome project and look great when its done! Deer and moose taste great... wish I had some haha
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
THE CALICO is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant
Name: Colton
THE CALICO's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
THE CALICO is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant
Name: Colton
THE CALICO's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished the cutting on mine. Giving it a test fit before it's attached to the roof. I liked the look of the stowed bars better and have a cross bar to attach when I'm using it.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
540Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Willis
540Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Great job. Add it to the list...