Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up

Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #41
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboi View Post
CL score for $35 plus had to buy the hardware kit for another $35

... ^^^ ... Hey, thanks for that posting those photos ... all I needed was the number for the mounting kit ... ... already had a new Tundra bed extender from a previous Tundra.

Thanks again ...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #42
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to put and extender into my truck. I have a full bed already with my 2 tool boxes. I'm looking for the measurement from the inside of the tail gate to the furthest point into the bed. I have 21.5 inches to the second box. The jack probably wont work in it's present position.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up-img_0183.jpg   OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up-img_0185.jpg   OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up-img_0184.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #43
2012 Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: Attack Squadron 82
Name: Todd
2012 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Can anybody confirm whether the bed extender will fit under an Undercover Classic Bed Cover on a 2012?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #44
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BUMP

Someone? Maybe, please, give me that measurement on how far into the bed the extender extends into the bed?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #45
adrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: RLTW
Name: Dante
adrenaline66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
I'm looking to put and extender into my truck. I have a full bed already with my 2 tool boxes. I'm looking for the measurement from the inside of the tail gate to the furthest point into the bed. I have 21.5 inches to the second box. The jack probably wont work in it's present position.
I measured the extender: From the tailgate it extends 22" into the bed.

By your measurements, you may be able to make it fit by moving the brackets towards the tailgate. Might be worth looking into. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
adrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Tacoma View Post
Can anybody confirm whether the bed extender will fit under an Undercover Classic Bed Cover on a 2012?
My guess is yes. I measured my extender up from the bottom, it is 14.5". I have a BakFlip Hard cover installed and I have about 4" of clearance. Of course I have to open the cover to flip the extender out, but no issues.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #47
Quote:
As for the jack, it may still work mounted as is: The brackets and pivots push the extender in a little and the thickness of your Hi-Lift may fit. The clearance on each side of the extender to the side of the bed is 3/4".
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #48
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Or in my case, make sure the included templates aren't FUBAR. I've got the same extender (bought it from the dealer), and the instructions were a poor photocopy. Had I used the templates, one side would have been higher than the other.

Who ever did the copying must have scaled it for some reason. So it was time for the rule and square and some very careful measuring....
[QUOTE=TerryS;3159027]2005+ Tacoma instructions: http://www.toyotapart.com/2005-2010_...T329-35050.pdf

2007+ Tundra instructions: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT3...pdf[/QUOTE]

I realize I'm quoting old posts but make sure that you line up your brackets to the holes on your install templates and make sure you measure that it's at the right height. Even though I printed mine from the computer they were slightly off. Luckily I caught it before I drilled.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #49
MAXBOI
maxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brian
maxboi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

a little over 22" is what i have
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #50
tacotime2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
tacotime2012's Tacoma Gallery
I measure 22" as well. When rotating the extender in and out of the bed, it actually extends out about another inch, so you would need a minimum of 23" to clear. That's with the tailgate closed and tape measure on the bed floor.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #51

Man, you guys are great. That's the stuff right there that makes this forum so cool. Those are exactly the measurements that I was looking for. By what I' m reading and seeing from the photos, don't think it's going to work in my crowded bed. Thanks to all that took time for pics and answers. Bummer, I wanted that to work. Everything is already slap as far forward as it can go.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
2012 Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: Attack Squadron 82
Name: Todd
2012 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline66 View Post
My guess is yes. I measured my extender up from the bottom, it is 14.5". I have a BakFlip Hard cover installed and I have about 4" of clearance. Of course I have to open the cover to flip the extender out, but no issues.

Thanks for measuring, the Undercover has some support webs that hang lower than the top but that would be plenty of clearance
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #53
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys leave your bed extender in when the tailgate closed? Im worried someone might steal it. They would probably jack the extender, not have the mounting hardware and later throw it away. Wonder about locking it in ?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #54
MobileMike will become famous soon enoughMobileMike will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
MobileMike's Tacoma Gallery
Check out my custom version of the bed extender:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nice-rack.html

There is a drawing that adds to the understanding of where the bed extender needs to end up in both the open and closed positions. In my case, I also was worried about how it fit a specific type of plastic storage bin, the Rubbermaid Action Packer
Old 03-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #55
TX5150 is on a distinguished road
TX5150's Tacoma Gallery
When you all used the template did you line the bottom of it up with the top of the plastic bed liner, or the metal truck bed underneath the bed liner?

Installing mine soon
Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #57
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
When I traded in my Frontier for my Tacoma I kept the bed extender. They all seem to universal but does anyone know for sure if a Nissan bed extender will work on a Toyota? If so then I'll just use the part # from the the above posted picture and get the hardware kit. Forgot how handy extender was until I was shoving stuff in the cab on our last camping trip, lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #58
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=mach1man001;6273557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
2005+ Tacoma instructions: http://www.toyotapart.com/2005-2010_...T329-35050.pdf

2007+ Tundra instructions: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT3...pdf[/QUOTE]

I realize I'm quoting old posts but make sure that you line up your brackets to the holes on your install templates and make sure you measure that it's at the right height. Even though I printed mine from the computer they were slightly off. Luckily I caught it before I drilled.
Needed the templates, thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #59
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question about these bed extenders. I have read it is against the law to drive with the tailgate down in Texas http://www.chacha.com/question/can-i...-down-in-texas . Has anyone been pulled over for it?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #60
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedone View Post
I have a question about these bed extenders. I have read it is against the law to drive with the tailgate down in Texas http://www.chacha.com/question/can-i...-down-in-texas . Has anyone been pulled over for it?
I used to drive with my tail gate down all the time, and saw others doing the same. I didn't get pulled over and ticketed for it, nor had I ever heard of that law, but I suppose it is for safety reasons due to the impact of a smaller vehicle to the rear of the truck.