1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adrenaline66, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    In case some are wondering how to install the OEM Bed Extender and if it's worth the money, here's my install write up.

Total install time - less than an hour, under 30 minutes for the actual work and another 30 minutes because I chose to prime and paint the drilled holes.

Tools needed:

10MM Socket/Wrench
    8MM Socket/Wrench
    3MM Allen Wrench
    Center Punch
    Drill with 15/64" Bit
    T20 Torx Bit
    Scotch Tape

Optional items:

Blue Loctite
    Primer (I used Dupli-Color 2 in 1, NG SF 031)
    Black Paint (again, Dupli-Color 2 in 1, Universal Black, NG SF 100)

First I taped the templates to the D-Pillars of the bed and used a 10 MM Socket to remove the two bolts holding the tail lights in the bed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I removed the tail lights and placed them on the tailgate. There's no need to unplug the lights.
    [​IMG]

Then I used the templates to center punch the holes and drill. The instructions state to use a drill stop set at 1", but there's nothing behind the pillar where drilling and it would've worked without the stops. Important note: No holes are drilled on the tailgate, the straps connect to the tailgate latch mechanism.
    [​IMG]

At this point, I used the Primer and Universal Black Touch-Up Paint on the holes to prevent rust. The Primer and Paint cost about $12.00 combined. I let each dry about 10 minutes.

While the paint was drying, I laid out the Bed Extender and put it together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then mounted the brackets using the supplied hardware, Loctite, an 8MM Socket and 3MM Allen Wrench.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, I put the Extender in position and tightened the tube hardware. This is the finished product.
    [​IMG]

Was it worth it? IMHO, Yes. I paid $198.00 for the extender ( http://www.toyota-parts.com/scripts/default.asp ) w/about $15-20 for shipping. I think it looks great, better than some aftermarket Extenders, and was priced reasonably.

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    It looks great and nice job on the write up.

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    yeah if you have the short bed those extenders really come in handy.

4. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    Cool! Really wish I could find one of these for cheap

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    nicely put! good job.

6. May 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    KillTaker

KillTaker Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCSB
    OEM Roof Rack
    Got one of these two days ago. Install was a breeze (just make sure you measure twice before you drill). I have an Access LE bed cover and the extender clears it fine for full range of motion. Great item.

7. May 5, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Yeah like a rahtard i put my brackets just sideways instead up straight up and down.. Really dumb move on my part. Now i don't want to take them out and drill more holes so i think i will just leave it like it is.

8. May 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    scollins

scollins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F450 STX 6.7L Powerstroke
    Or in my case, make sure the included templates aren't FUBAR. I've got the same extender (bought it from the dealer), and the instructions were a poor photocopy. Had I used the templates, one side would have been higher than the other. :eek:

Who ever did the copying must have scaled it for some reason. So it was time for the rule and square and some very careful measuring....

9. May 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Just found this thread in search ... :D

I ordered the end mounting brackets and am going to try to install a 2007 Tundra bed extender. My end brackets look different and I received NO template either when I ordered end brackets only.

Has anyone tried to do this ... install a Tundra bed extender with the Tacoma end brackets ?? .... :confused:

PS ... I have the Tundra bed extender (new in box) left over from my sold 2007 Tundra.

10. May 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    To be honest, I believe the Tundra and Tacoma Extenders are the same. The center bars slide into the ends allowing you to spread/close the gaps to get the proper fit. If memory serves, the instructions even say Tundra on them. Give me a day and I will see if I still have the instructions/templates and I will see about emailing them to you. It says the dimensions to check that the templates are positioned right.

11. May 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    Dude, that sucks. Guess the only real problem is that even with the tailgate closed, the Extender could be removed by some unscrupulous Jack**s who wants to save dough. Not that that ever happens.

12. May 11, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Thanks ... as I received no instructions in my Tacoma end bracket package. The bracket package was about $46.00.

Any help would be appreciated. I plan to install them next week ... need to find the Tundra main rail parts in storage this weekend.

13. May 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    jr49 likes this.
  14. May 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
  15. May 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Nice job!

16. May 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    Anytime SOS. I'm curious though, do the brackets you ordered have the lever shown in the PDFs? Mine didn't and the TACOMA instructions were pretty much the same, except the diagram didn't show a lever either. If you have the original TUNDRA Brackets, I would see if the holes line up with the template, if so, you could save the money and return the ones you ordered. Just a thought. Good Luck.

BTW, if you do end up using the TACOMA Brackets, and they don't have the levers, you need to rotate the extender up to about 55 degrees to install/remove from the brackets.

17. May 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Good ideas you have ... my Tacoma brackets have the "small levers" with 6 small bolts & nuts and no template.

But you guys have helped me very much on this project.

I will post some pics when completed and when I learn how to post pics on this site ... :D

18. May 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Nice write up :thumbsup:

19. May 13, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
  20. May 13, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
To Top