Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up

Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
adrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: RLTW
Name: Dante
adrenaline66's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up

In case some are wondering how to install the OEM Bed Extender and if it's worth the money, here's my install write up.

Total install time - less than an hour, under 30 minutes for the actual work and another 30 minutes because I chose to prime and paint the drilled holes.

Tools needed:

10MM Socket/Wrench
8MM Socket/Wrench
3MM Allen Wrench
Center Punch
Drill with 15/64" Bit
T20 Torx Bit
Scotch Tape

Optional items:

Blue Loctite
Primer (I used Dupli-Color 2 in 1, NG SF 031)
Black Paint (again, Dupli-Color 2 in 1, Universal Black, NG SF 100)

First I taped the templates to the D-Pillars of the bed and used a 10 MM Socket to remove the two bolts holding the tail lights in the bed.

Then I removed the tail lights and placed them on the tailgate. There's no need to unplug the lights.

Then I used the templates to center punch the holes and drill. The instructions state to use a drill stop set at 1", but there's nothing behind the pillar where drilling and it would've worked without the stops. Important note: No holes are drilled on the tailgate, the straps connect to the tailgate latch mechanism.

At this point, I used the Primer and Universal Black Touch-Up Paint on the holes to prevent rust. The Primer and Paint cost about $12.00 combined. I let each dry about 10 minutes.

While the paint was drying, I laid out the Bed Extender and put it together.

I then mounted the brackets using the supplied hardware, Loctite, an 8MM Socket and 3MM Allen Wrench.

Last but not least, I put the Extender in position and tightened the tube hardware. This is the finished product.

Was it worth it? IMHO, Yes. I paid $198.00 for the extender ( http://www.toyota-parts.com/scripts/default.asp ) w/about $15-20 for shipping. I think it looks great, better than some aftermarket Extenders, and was priced reasonably.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline66 View Post
In case some are wondering how to install the OEM Bed Extender and if it's worth the money, here's my install write up.

Total install time - less than an hour, under 30 minutes for the actual work and another 30 minutes because I chose to prime and paint the drilled holes.

Tools needed:

10MM Socket/Wrench
8MM Socket/Wrench
3MM Allen Wrench
Center Punch
Drill with 15/64" Bit
T20 Torx Bit
Scotch Tape

Optional items:

Blue Loctite
Primer (I used Dupli-Color 2 in 1, NG SF 031)
Black Paint (again, Dupli-Color 2 in 1, Universal Black, NG SF 100)

First I taped the templates to the D-Pillars of the bed and used a 10 MM Socket to remove the two bolts holding the tail lights in the bed.

Then I removed the tail lights and placed them on the tailgate. There's no need to unplug the lights.

Then I used the templates to center punch the holes and drill. The instructions state to use a drill stop set at 1", but there's nothing behind the pillar where drilling and it would've worked without the stops. Important note: No holes are drilled on the tailgate, the straps connect to the tailgate latch mechanism.

At this point, I used the Primer and Universal Black Touch-Up Paint on the holes to prevent rust. The Primer and Paint cost about $12.00 combined. I let each dry about 10 minutes.

While the paint was drying, I laid out the Bed Extender and put it together.

I then mounted the brackets using the supplied hardware, Loctite, an 8MM Socket and 3MM Allen Wrench.

Last but not least, I put the Extender in position and tightened the tube hardware. This is the finished product.

Was it worth it? IMHO, Yes. I paid $198.00 for the extender ( http://www.toyota-parts.com/scripts/default.asp ) w/about $15-20 for shipping. I think it looks great, better than some aftermarket Extenders, and was priced reasonably.
yeah if you have the short bed those extenders really come in handy.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! Really wish I could find one of these for cheap
Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
nicely put! good job.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
KillTaker is on a distinguished road

KillTaker's Tacoma Gallery
Got one of these two days ago. Install was a breeze (just make sure you measure twice before you drill). I have an Access LE bed cover and the extender clears it fine for full range of motion. Great item.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah like a rahtard i put my brackets just sideways instead up straight up and down.. Really dumb move on my part. Now i don't want to take them out and drill more holes so i think i will just leave it like it is.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillTaker View Post
Got one of these two days ago. Install was a breeze (just make sure you measure twice before you drill).
Or in my case, make sure the included templates aren't FUBAR. I've got the same extender (bought it from the dealer), and the instructions were a poor photocopy. Had I used the templates, one side would have been higher than the other.

Who ever did the copying must have scaled it for some reason. So it was time for the rule and square and some very careful measuring....
Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this thread in search ...

I ordered the end mounting brackets and am going to try to install a 2007 Tundra bed extender. My end brackets look different and I received NO template either when I ordered end brackets only.

Has anyone tried to do this ... install a Tundra bed extender with the Tacoma end brackets ?? ....

PS ... I have the Tundra bed extender (new in box) left over from my sold 2007 Tundra.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
adrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
Just found this thread in search ...

I ordered the end mounting brackets and am going to try to install a 2007 Tundra bed extender. My end brackets look different and I received NO template either when I ordered end brackets only.

Has anyone tried to do this ... install a Tundra bed extender with the Tacoma end brackets ?? ....

PS ... I have the Tundra bed extender (new in box) left over from my sold 2007 Tundra.
To be honest, I believe the Tundra and Tacoma Extenders are the same. The center bars slide into the ends allowing you to spread/close the gaps to get the proper fit. If memory serves, the instructions even say Tundra on them. Give me a day and I will see if I still have the instructions/templates and I will see about emailing them to you. It says the dimensions to check that the templates are positioned right.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzdrag3 View Post
Yeah like a rahtard i put my brackets just sideways instead up straight up and down.. Really dumb move on my part. Now i don't want to take them out and drill more holes so i think i will just leave it like it is.
Dude, that sucks. Guess the only real problem is that even with the tailgate closed, the Extender could be removed by some unscrupulous Jack**s who wants to save dough. Not that that ever happens.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks ... as I received no instructions in my Tacoma end bracket package. The bracket package was about $46.00.

Any help would be appreciated. I plan to install them next week ... need to find the Tundra main rail parts in storage this weekend.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks ... as I received no instructions in my Tacoma end bracket package. The bracket package was about $46.00.

Any help would be appreciated. I plan to install them next week ... need to find the Tundra main rail parts in storage this weekend.
2005+ Tacoma instructions: http://www.toyotapart.com/2005-2010_...T329-35050.pdf

2007+ Tundra instructions: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT329-34073inst.pdf
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post

adrenaline66 & TerryS .... thanks guys and I appreciate your help and this DIY thread ...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Quote:

adrenaline66 & TerryS .... thanks guys and I appreciate your help and this DIY thread ...

Anytime SOS. I'm curious though, do the brackets you ordered have the lever shown in the PDFs? Mine didn't and the TACOMA instructions were pretty much the same, except the diagram didn't show a lever either. If you have the original TUNDRA Brackets, I would see if the holes line up with the template, if so, you could save the money and return the ones you ordered. Just a thought. Good Luck.

BTW, if you do end up using the TACOMA Brackets, and they don't have the levers, you need to rotate the extender up to about 55 degrees to install/remove from the brackets.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline66 View Post
Anytime SOS. I'm curious though, do the brackets you ordered have the lever shown in the PDFs? Mine didn't and the TACOMA instructions were pretty much the same, except the diagram didn't show a lever either. If you have the original TUNDRA Brackets, I would see if the holes line up with the template, if so, you could save the money and return the ones you ordered. Just a thought. Good Luck.

BTW, if you do end up using the TACOMA Brackets, and they don't have the levers, you need to rotate the extender up to about 55 degrees to install/remove from the brackets.
Good ideas you have ... my Tacoma brackets have the "small levers" with 6 small bolts & nuts and no template.

But you guys have helped me very much on this project.

I will post some pics when completed and when I learn how to post pics on this site ...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...I will post some pics when completed and when I learn how to post pics on this site ...
Here you go, Marine: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...rum-posts.html . Looking forward to those pics.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
sub