So after ranting about my front bearings for a while now I finally had the chance to finish the passenger side today. I decided to take a few pictures to show the procedure as well as the procedure for changing the inner seal.
So here goes:
First the is the inital picture with just the tire removed:
Next I removed the caliper by removing the two bolts you see in the center of the picture:
Before moving the caliper I disconnected the brake line from the steering knuckle so I could move it all out of the way (the center bolt):
So with the caliper moved and tied out of the way:
To remove the rotor I had to use a threaded bolt to assist in pushing it away from the hub:
Rotor removed, the next step was to remove the hub grease cap (I found this difficult to do without damaging the cap a little) :
Once the cap was removed, it was time to remove the cotter pin, lock cap and axle hub nut, I used a 36mm impact socket to remove the nut:
Pin, lock cap, and hub nut removed:
The next step was to loosen the four bolts that keep the bearing assembly attached to the spindle. I didn't take pictures of this step as it's pretty straight forward. You have to tap the hub/bearing assembly loose once the bolts are loosened. Tap it on each side, and on top and bottom. I used a rubber mallot for this part. Once the assembly is partially out you'll have to unscrew the 4 bolts the rest of the way out as there isn't enough room between the bolt heads and the hub to initally take em out all the way out. Once the hub/bearing assembly is removed the dust shield just falls away, don't forget to reinstall the dust shield when putting back together. Also at this step I disconnected the speed sensor and put it out of the way.
Hub/bearing assembly removed:
I wanted to change out the inner seals as well but in order to do that I needed to swing the whole steering knuckle section that the axle sticks out of in order to have access to the inner seal. I needed to remove the stabilizer link from the steering knuckle, I used a wrench and a 6mm hex wrench to hold the stud because the ball joint was turning with the nut:
Next I removed the two bolts and separated the front suspension lower arm from the front axle:
I should mention that when I was doing this I had a hydraulic jack supporting the front axle, not sure if needed but I wanted to be sure:
Once the 2 bolts were removed I could swing the steering knuckle:
Removed the old inner seal, it was in rough shape:
New inner seal installed, tight fit, careful not to damage it:
The steering knuckle back together, seal greased up and axle cleaned and ready for the new bearing/hub assembly:
New hub/bearing assembly, I had a shop remove the old bearing, install the outer oil seal and press on the new bearing (note that the o ring is not installed on the bearing in this picture, I forgot to install it so I had to take the whole thing apart again, DO NOT FORGET THE O RING) :
Bearing/Hub assembly, speed sensor, dust shield, hub nut, lock cap and cotter pin installed:
Everything back together:
The truck now rides like a dream again, I was optimistic that the hum would still be present but no, changing these bearings solved it.
I want to thank tacomaworld.com for helping me do this. If it wasn't for all your help, I would have never even attempted this. Thank you