Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

wire routing out of cabin for add-ons

Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
wire routing out of cabin for add-ons

What is the best plate to rout the wires out of the cabin?

I wan't to add some lights in my bed, and I have looked at that rubber boot under my seat, and it looks like it will be nearly impossible to get a wire through that. The end under the truck has no opening, it's solidly taped and I fear of damaging the surrounding wires (creating future electrical problems) if I use a metal router for the wire.

I have already routed wiring by the forward driver side rubber boot under the dash in my '09, but I had to cut the boot in order to pass a wire, and it still was very difficult.

Anybody has an idea of where it is the best and easiest to route wiring outside the cab? Any trick to prevent damage to surrounding wires? Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
I took out my center console in my AC/MT, and I saw 3 rubber plugs directly under the console where the e-brake cables run. I have not looked on the other side, but it seems easy to get to once you have the console out (4 bolts and your done).
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
What is the best plate to rout the wires out of the cabin?

I wan't to add some lights in my bed, and I have looked at that rubber boot under my seat, and it looks like it will be nearly impossible to get a wire through that. The end under the truck has no opening, it's solidly taped and I fear of damaging the surrounding wires (creating future electrical problems) if I use a metal router for the wire.

I have already routed wiring by the forward driver side rubber boot under the dash in my '09, but I had to cut the boot in order to pass a wire, and it still was very difficult.

Anybody has an idea of where it is the best and easiest to route wiring outside the cab? Any trick to prevent damage to surrounding wires? Thanks
go thru the rubber boot by driver seat its easier than you think. when I installed my bed lights thats what I did
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I got this http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind..._detail&p=2182 and I am planning on drilling a hole underneath the seat back on the passenger side. I am going to run CB antennae, air lines and various power lines through it also. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two if I get it done.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the rubber grommet under the driver seat. If you want, you don't even need to go through the grommet. Just pop the grommet half way out. Slide the wires through. Then pop the grommet back. It will not be flush and 100% shut. But I did mine like that and had it that way for about a year. Floods, rain, stream crossings never bothered anything. Of course you can go through it if you like. But since your only running 14 gauge? You should be fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
The back of the cab on the outside between the bed there are rubber grommets. You can then route in the channel at the bottom of the doors.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
i ran 14ga through the drivers seat grommet no problems. put the seat all the way back and its really quite easy to do.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

ok thanks for the advises guys I'll try the driver seat grommet. But I"ll have to wait since my local auto store (canadian tire) does not carry the mini fuses Add-A-Circuit. They only had the bigger fuses Add-A-Circuit. I'll have to go check other canadian tires and hope I'll find one soon
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
The local NAPA should have them.
Thanks a lot I had not thought about that! I'll look at it tomorrow.