1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacomas w/black bumpers/fender flares?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trdracing5, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sep 28, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Does anyone have a "plain" Tacoma Double Cab with the black bumpers and fender flares? I am looking at some of the remainder 08's and they have a few like that.

The price is good but they just look kind of ......well...... "plain".

I guess one advantage is that you don't have to worry about the paint popping off the fenders:p

Seriously, I am looking at purchasing one just because of the price. Since it is "plain" what am I missing?
    It doesn't have keyless remote (which I can add) and it doesn't have cruise (which I can add) but other than that it seems to have everything I need (power windows/locks and automatic transmission).

5510884-1-3-9f3d6152.jpg

2. Sep 28, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    They're plain because they're the base model or else you're looking at the Rugged Trails which are not base models at all.

Look up SR5 on the Toyota website. That's the package that would give you those things.

3. Sep 28, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I've got a base model 08 and I agree with you that it looks plain, but on the other hand, there are certain aspects I do like about it. First of all, the dash - it's all black on the base model. I think this looks way better than the silver dash of the higher end models. I also like the black rear bumper. The fender flares I could go either way on. The biggest part I don't like is the front bumper. I think the it's the fog light holes with no fog lights in them that make it look particularly cheap.... I'm planning on adding some fogs in there anyways though.

Otherwise, if you don't need the creature comforts (sliding rear window, pocker locks/windows, cruise, etc.) the base is the way to go. I got a base model V6. The SR5 would have been nice but I'd rather sacrifice some luxury for the power of the V6.

Some pics of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sep 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM
    zombot

zombot Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    man i have some bastard mix of base model.
    black bumpers, no black fenders- which i DO want.

so if anybody wants to pop theirs off and sell me some....

;)

5. Sep 29, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  6. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I have an 07 double cab 4x4 base model. I had no desire to have the extra 'creature comforts', all I needed was a 4x4 which was hard to find in Las Vegas. When I found mine I had never seen a base model Tacoma, but it was everything I wanted with a cheaper price tag. Check out the Toyota site and see what options the SR5, TRD offroad and sport packages add and see if you need/want those or could just add some yourself for cheaper. I didn't want a sliding rear window, I don't need fog lights in NV, I would hardly use cruise control, I can reach the stereo just fine so I don't need controls on the steering wheel, it hardly rains here so I don't need intermitten wipers, I can add keyless entry, I limo tinted my windows so I didn't need the privacy glass, I got Wet Okole seat covers so don't care for upgraded seat material and it already has adjustable lumbar support, I don't need a compass/temperature and could add it if needed, I'm upgrading rims/tires so I didn't care for alloy wheels, I'm getting the suspension TSB which will add Bilstein shocks all the way around for free. Everything else is pretty much just for looks. I use the 4x4 for driving in the sand at the dunes, I don't plan on heavy offroading or mudding so I didn't need electronic driving controls like LSD/Lockers. It has power windows, locks and mirrors. The price was right and I have no complaints about mine. Good luck with your choice :).

7. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:41 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    The only thing I don't like about the base models is the lack of fog lamps.

That hole just depresses me.

8. Sep 30, 2008 at 3:04 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    The V6's come pre-wired even if they don't have the lights, so it would be pretty easy to add fogs. I would do it if I had a reason to have fog lights, they do look better though.

9. Jan 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    clmm

clmm Member

Member:
    I realize you are looking at 08's, but I got the double cab 09 in graphite grey base model, and it looks like it's all color matched. If not for the steel rims, it looks great.

Products Discussed in

To Top