Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacomas w/black bumpers/fender flares?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Tacomas w/black bumpers/fender flares?

Does anyone have a "plain" Tacoma Double Cab with the black bumpers and fender flares? I am looking at some of the remainder 08's and they have a few like that.

The price is good but they just look kind of ......well...... "plain".

I guess one advantage is that you don't have to worry about the paint popping off the fenders

Seriously, I am looking at purchasing one just because of the price. Since it is "plain" what am I missing?
It doesn't have keyless remote (which I can add) and it doesn't have cruise (which I can add) but other than that it seems to have everything I need (power windows/locks and automatic transmission).
Attached Thumbnails
Tacomas w/black bumpers/fender flares?-5510884-1-3-9f3d6152.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
They're plain because they're the base model or else you're looking at the Rugged Trails which are not base models at all.

Look up SR5 on the Toyota website. That's the package that would give you those things.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a base model 08 and I agree with you that it looks plain, but on the other hand, there are certain aspects I do like about it. First of all, the dash - it's all black on the base model. I think this looks way better than the silver dash of the higher end models. I also like the black rear bumper. The fender flares I could go either way on. The biggest part I don't like is the front bumper. I think the it's the fog light holes with no fog lights in them that make it look particularly cheap.... I'm planning on adding some fogs in there anyways though.

Otherwise, if you don't need the creature comforts (sliding rear window, pocker locks/windows, cruise, etc.) the base is the way to go. I got a base model V6. The SR5 would have been nice but I'd rather sacrifice some luxury for the power of the V6.

Some pics of mine...

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
man i have some bastard mix of base model.
black bumpers, no black fenders- which i DO want.

so if anybody wants to pop theirs off and sell me some....

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 double cab 4x4 base model. I had no desire to have the extra 'creature comforts', all I needed was a 4x4 which was hard to find in Las Vegas. When I found mine I had never seen a base model Tacoma, but it was everything I wanted with a cheaper price tag. Check out the Toyota site and see what options the SR5, TRD offroad and sport packages add and see if you need/want those or could just add some yourself for cheaper. I didn't want a sliding rear window, I don't need fog lights in NV, I would hardly use cruise control, I can reach the stereo just fine so I don't need controls on the steering wheel, it hardly rains here so I don't need intermitten wipers, I can add keyless entry, I limo tinted my windows so I didn't need the privacy glass, I got Wet Okole seat covers so don't care for upgraded seat material and it already has adjustable lumbar support, I don't need a compass/temperature and could add it if needed, I'm upgrading rims/tires so I didn't care for alloy wheels, I'm getting the suspension TSB which will add Bilstein shocks all the way around for free. Everything else is pretty much just for looks. I use the 4x4 for driving in the sand at the dunes, I don't plan on heavy offroading or mudding so I didn't need electronic driving controls like LSD/Lockers. It has power windows, locks and mirrors. The price was right and I have no complaints about mine. Good luck with your choice .
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I don't like about the base models is the lack of fog lamps.

That hole just depresses me.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
The only thing I don't like about the base models is the lack of fog lamps.

That hole just depresses me.
The V6's come pre-wired even if they don't have the lights, so it would be pretty easy to add fogs. I would do it if I had a reason to have fog lights, they do look better though.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
clmm is on a distinguished road
clmm's Tacoma Gallery
I realize you are looking at 08's, but I got the double cab 09 in graphite grey base model, and it looks like it's all color matched. If not for the steel rims, it looks great.