1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Rub on 2nd Gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by avengedkevinfold, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs
    Hey guys. I have a 2nd gen 4 door long bed. with bilstiens 5100s on all 4.

front are set at 2.5 inches

I have 32 inch BFG AT with 17 inch rims.

I have stock mud flaps.

I'm getting tire rub at full turn left and right.

Also, I did some slight offroading the other day and as my suspension moves around I hear it even when going straight at some points when suspension is moving.

Also, if I'm turning into a driveway bump, the suspension moves and rubs tire for a sec.

Few questions --

1) I've searched and can't find any posts on how to eliminate this problem. 2) where exactly do I have to trim? what are the most likely places it is rubbing?
    3) whats the best way to test to see where its rubbing?
    4) Is it really the mud flaps that are rubbing?

thanks

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    just gotta look for the spots where it is rubbing and trim. If you are rubbing going straight then something doesnt seem right to me. 32"s shouldnt rub just going straight. First step is to just remove the mud flaps. Then the usual spot is at the front of the front wheel well there is a big bulging piece of plastic. The rubbing you are hearing going straight while off roading is most likely your mud flaps hitting something not your tires rubbing the truck. you shouldnt need to go too crazy trimming for 32"s.

3. Apr 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    mud flap are going to have to go. that should eliminate some rub. could be your cab mount (do a search for this. put in "cab mount" and click titles only)

other places is could be rubbing is on your Lower Control Arm along with the inner fender.

another possible rub is on the tip of the bumper inside of the fenderwell

4. Apr 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    x2 I just put some 285's and I was rubbing.. I took of the front mud flaps which helped ALOT then I took out that cheap little plastic valance in the tire wall.. *cut it out with a sawzall* no more rub... :D I have 285's which are 33's and I have no problems with going straight but I have 16x8 inch rims.. do you hve after market wheels?

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    Lazeb

Lazeb Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner Sowell
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    O6 prerunner trd sport
    280/75 a/t tires pioneer touch deck, rigid pods
    Would buying a new front bumper for better clearense fix this because I have the same problem and have trimmed and still rub alittle in the front.

Products Discussed in

To Top