Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Rub on 2nd Gen

Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
avengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of lightavengedkevinfold is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kevin
avengedkevinfold's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rub on 2nd Gen

Hey guys. I have a 2nd gen 4 door long bed. with bilstiens 5100s on all 4.

front are set at 2.5 inches

I have 32 inch BFG AT with 17 inch rims.

I have stock mud flaps.

I'm getting tire rub at full turn left and right.

Also, I did some slight offroading the other day and as my suspension moves around I hear it even when going straight at some points when suspension is moving.

Also, if I'm turning into a driveway bump, the suspension moves and rubs tire for a sec.

Few questions --

1) I've searched and can't find any posts on how to eliminate this problem. 2) where exactly do I have to trim? what are the most likely places it is rubbing?
3) whats the best way to test to see where its rubbing?
4) Is it really the mud flaps that are rubbing?

thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedkevinfold View Post

I have stock mud flaps.

Also, I did some slight offroading the other day and as my suspension moves around I hear it even when going straight at some points when suspension is moving.

Also, if I'm turning into a driveway bump, the suspension moves and rubs tire for a sec.

Few questions --

1) I've searched and can't find any posts on how to eliminate this problem. 2) where exactly do I have to trim? what are the most likely places it is rubbing?

thanks
just gotta look for the spots where it is rubbing and trim. If you are rubbing going straight then something doesnt seem right to me. 32"s shouldnt rub just going straight. First step is to just remove the mud flaps. Then the usual spot is at the front of the front wheel well there is a big bulging piece of plastic. The rubbing you are hearing going straight while off roading is most likely your mud flaps hitting something not your tires rubbing the truck. you shouldnt need to go too crazy trimming for 32"s.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedkevinfold View Post

I have stock mud flaps.

Few questions --

thanks
mud flap are going to have to go. that should eliminate some rub. could be your cab mount (do a search for this. put in "cab mount" and click titles only)

other places is could be rubbing is on your Lower Control Arm along with the inner fender.

another possible rub is on the tip of the bumper inside of the fenderwell
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
mud flap are going to have to go. that should eliminate some rub. could be your cab mount (do a search for this. put in "cab mount" and click titles only)

other places is could be rubbing is on your Lower Control Arm along with the inner fender.

another possible rub is on the tip of the bumper inside of the fenderwell
x2 I just put some 285's and I was rubbing.. I took of the front mud flaps which helped ALOT then I took out that cheap little plastic valance in the tire wall.. *cut it out with a sawzall* no more rub... I have 285's which are 33's and I have no problems with going straight but I have 16x8 inch rims.. do you hve after market wheels?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Lazeb is on a distinguished road

Name: Tanner Sowell
Lazeb's Tacoma Gallery
Would buying a new front bumper for better clearense fix this because I have the same problem and have trimmed and still rub alittle in the front.