Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Roof Top Tent on Canopy?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Roof Top Tent on Canopy?

Alright, I have a canopy/cap (Leer 100R) on my Tacoma and I'm wanting a RTT. I just went camping with my dad and he has a pop up canopy for his truck, that is sweet-ass for sleeping. I'm hooked and want one for my Tacoma.

I want to keep my canopy for dry storage, and put the tent on top of it.

Anyone know of someone that has done this? Any ideas of how to reinforce the canopy to support the weight of the tent and two people?

Only thing I can think of is some sort of custom fabbed internal cage, that the tent would mount to, through the cap roof.

Currently looking at this tent (because they're in Canada)
http://www.titanwinches.com/index.ph...d&productId=38

Or these two from Gordigear (Australia)
http://www.gordigear.com/roof_tents/..._tent.php?l=en
http://www.gordigear.com/roof_tents/..._tent.php?l=en

I guess the option of a RTT on a utility trailer is always there... but it would be nice to go into areas with one unit- the Tacoma.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Goodnight bump
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
An option could be this- http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/all...first-one.html sell your Leer buy this and get a canvas cover made for the rack system. It would look like a bestop "shell".
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Banned
Kauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really nice
Name: Dave
Kauluwela's Tacoma Gallery
What you need is something like this - where there is a bed mount overhead ladder rack that is designed to accomodate a camper shell as well. This can support a lot of weight above the camper shell and retain the dry storage function.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
The overhead rack designed for the tent would be a great option. I have heard some have mounted tents on a top like yours (Leer 100) stock. I have thought about this, and maybe you could fab a interior frame that would attach to the roof interior, then fiberglass or encapsulate the frame into the roof of the shell. I thought it would give you extra support and a mounting option. Other tent options

http://www.eeziawn.com/eeziawn/legen...of_africa.html

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php

another idea

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

and this

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Top Tent on Canopy?-100_1123.jpg   Roof Top Tent on Canopy?-234233192-l.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #6

EMS:
I guess my only option is an exterior rack. Contractors/boat rack type... damn.

Just emailed a guy selling a RTT on Craigslist, for $500. Let's see.....

Thanks all
Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
You'll love it once you have one! Let me know if I can be of any help with questions.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
^^ thats pretty cool. do you have any pics of what it looks like inside?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #9

EMS:
Fire, would you say that having the dressing room is a must, or is it just nice to have? Been trying to decide.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
You'll love it once you have one! Let me know if I can be of any help with questions.

Where did you get that one from ?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Kevin, how many bathrooms does that have?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Tan ,

Too bad you already got your canopy , I got the Leer RCC , which is the commercial version of the 100R , it's roof is reinforced and the rack system is rated for 400 lbs .
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
^^ thats pretty cool. do you have any pics of what it looks like inside?
Not yet. I'll snap some next time I have it open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
Fire, would you say that having the dressing room is a must, or is it just nice to have? Been trying to decide.
It was a must for us, the wife and I sleep up top and when we have the kiddo along he and the dog sleep in the bottom. If your planning on staying in one place for more than a night it's really nice to have the added room though. It only takes about 10 minutes to setup the changing room. And maybe 5 minutes to setup the tent. The changing room is the primary reason I went with this model, it's one of the few that is fully enclosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT View Post
Where did you get that one from ?
I got it from Jeremy at Expedition Ops. Great guy to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
Kevin, how many bathrooms does that have?
Depends on how many you want! lol
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #14

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Tan ,

Too bad you already got your canopy , I got the Leer RCC , which is the commercial version of the 100R , it's roof is reinforced and the rack system is rated for 400 lbs .
Damn.... really? Son of a. Oh well...

How are you liking your canopy, btw?

I'll see what my buddy who owns a welding/fab company can come up with for a rack system. Ugh... why'd I have to get a canopy instead of a tonneau. Oh right, cause tonneau's are uggo!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not yet. I'll snap some next time I have it open.

It was a must for us, the wife and I sleep up top and when we have the kiddo along he and the dog sleep in the bottom. If your planning on staying in one place for more than a night it's really nice to have the added room though. It only takes about 10 minutes to setup the changing room. And maybe 5 minutes to setup the tent. The changing room is the primary reason I went with this model, it's one of the few that is fully enclosed.

I got it from Jeremy at Expedition Ops. Great guy to deal with.

Depends on how many you want! lol

Which model did you get ?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT View Post
Which model did you get ?
Mine is the Mombasa Overland Plus model with the changing room also.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
TheJDawg is on a distinguished road
TheJDawg's Tacoma Gallery
That is sick!! How is that thing supported though since you don't have a topper?

Quote:

Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
I had an ARE...according to the place I bought it from, the roof only held 250 lbs. So I sold it and mounted the RTT at bedrail height.

IMO if you want the tent up high check out the Front Runner Bakkie or the ATO rack.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #19

EMS:
Ooooh... I'm liking the Front Runner tents. Good prices.. hmmm
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #20

EMS:
May be scrapping the canopy idea and getting a trailer built by a buddy who owns a fab company... looking into options right now