1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Bumper(What Paint Should I Use?)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aidenhardcore, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    aidenhardcore

aidenhardcore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    None yet but soon all black.
    So, This weekend is going to be wicked nice here in mass. So I'm having a painting party at my cape house haha. Painting my chrome grill. bagdes, and back chrome bumper. Using pasti dip for grill and bagdes and was going to use dip on bumper but Im not too sure now. I know if i make a mistake i can just peel off dip on bumper but now thinging of using truck bed liner on it. That stuff seems very durable. Was going to use my hand plug in sander to really scuff up the chrome and then use primer and bed coating. what do you guys think?? use dip on all three or bed coating on bumper??

2. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    ive used krylon before and it holds up well if you use primer before it, idk who makes it but its called painters touch 2x coverage or something, great stuff, plasti dip is all the rage too if you havent considered that

3. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Hey thanks for the ifor. I might just go with dip. I used dip on my ram bumper last year and it held up great so maybe I'll Just use that. Was going to use factory paint to make it look all blended in but don't think it will stick very well even with the proper prepping steps.

4. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    just take some rough ass sandpaper and scuff up all the chrome so the paint adheres better then primer it really good so you fill in all the sandpaper marks then get yourself the color of your choice and paint it.. youll be more satisfied with the results i think cause plasti dip looks nice but isnt permenant and if you get mud on it the pores in the rubber will trap it and it will be like... perma-dirty looking

that is if you want the permenant solution

5. Apr 27, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    haha ok. Thanks for the advice. I still dont know what ill do yet. Im not too great at painting so i might just go with the eaiser step and dip it but if i feel the urge to paint it and have confidence in myself then maybe ill jump up and paint it. I need some support guys please haha.

6. Apr 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    if you use a satin spray paint you dont get that blotchy spotty look.. high gloss tends to look like crap cause of that and youll have better results since the paint will be an enamel vs a peelable coating.. there was another member that got mud stains in his plasti dip, just making sure you get the best results

7. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    x2, you have to be really good with spray paint to get it to look good on big surfaces, plasti dip or rhino lined or herculiner might be your best bet. i love plasti dip...a lot of people do haha. i did my fenderflares with it and its amazing, i spray painted my wheels...mistake on my part i shouldve plasti dipped

edit:i used bedliner on my grille and it has started to chip after a few months, also mud and dirt is really hard to get off because of the texture, its also faded a little bit...just so you know

8. Apr 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    skb7527

skb7527 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    I just plasti dipped my rear chrome bumper about two weeks ago. Just wash it with dish soap to take off the wax and/or grime. Let it dry and spray. I bought two cans and still have half a can left. It has held up great and i think it looks good. I also did the lower front valance and its holding up, no chips....

9. Jun 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    curtis

curtis Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Tracy
    Vehicle:
    2000 prerunner
    8k hid straight pipe
    Painting over the chrome plastic on the grill is a hassel. i used a hand sander to scuff it up a bit then used the plasti dip and just sprayed over it. i put a few good coats. it turned out good

Products Discussed in

To Top