LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting Bumper(What Paint Should I Use?)

Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Bumper(What Paint Should I Use?)

So, This weekend is going to be wicked nice here in mass. So I'm having a painting party at my cape house haha. Painting my chrome grill. bagdes, and back chrome bumper. Using pasti dip for grill and bagdes and was going to use dip on bumper but Im not too sure now. I know if i make a mistake i can just peel off dip on bumper but now thinging of using truck bed liner on it. That stuff seems very durable. Was going to use my hand plug in sander to really scuff up the chrome and then use primer and bed coating. what do you guys think?? use dip on all three or bed coating on bumper??
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
ive used krylon before and it holds up well if you use primer before it, idk who makes it but its called painters touch 2x coverage or something, great stuff, plasti dip is all the rage too if you havent considered that
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hey thanks for the ifor. I might just go with dip. I used dip on my ram bumper last year and it held up great so maybe I'll Just use that. Was going to use factory paint to make it look all blended in but don't think it will stick very well even with the proper prepping steps.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
just take some rough ass sandpaper and scuff up all the chrome so the paint adheres better then primer it really good so you fill in all the sandpaper marks then get yourself the color of your choice and paint it.. youll be more satisfied with the results i think cause plasti dip looks nice but isnt permenant and if you get mud on it the pores in the rubber will trap it and it will be like... perma-dirty looking

that is if you want the permenant solution
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
haha ok. Thanks for the advice. I still dont know what ill do yet. Im not too great at painting so i might just go with the eaiser step and dip it but if i feel the urge to paint it and have confidence in myself then maybe ill jump up and paint it. I need some support guys please haha.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
if you use a satin spray paint you dont get that blotchy spotty look.. high gloss tends to look like crap cause of that and youll have better results since the paint will be an enamel vs a peelable coating.. there was another member that got mud stains in his plasti dip, just making sure you get the best results
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
if you use a satin spray paint you dont get that blotchy spotty look.. high gloss tends to look like crap cause of that and youll have better results since the paint will be an enamel vs a peelable coating.. there was another member that got mud stains in his plasti dip, just making sure you get the best results
x2, you have to be really good with spray paint to get it to look good on big surfaces, plasti dip or rhino lined or herculiner might be your best bet. i love plasti dip...a lot of people do haha. i did my fenderflares with it and its amazing, i spray painted my wheels...mistake on my part i shouldve plasti dipped

edit:i used bedliner on my grille and it has started to chip after a few months, also mud and dirt is really hard to get off because of the texture, its also faded a little bit...just so you know
Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Political Correctness Sucks!
skb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
skb7527's Tacoma Gallery
I just plasti dipped my rear chrome bumper about two weeks ago. Just wash it with dish soap to take off the wax and/or grime. Let it dry and spray. I bought two cans and still have half a can left. It has held up great and i think it looks good. I also did the lower front valance and its holding up, no chips....
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
curtis is on a distinguished road
Name: Curtis
curtis's Tacoma Gallery
Painting over the chrome plastic on the grill is a hassel. i used a hand sander to scuff it up a bit then used the plasti dip and just sprayed over it. i put a few good coats. it turned out good